Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Trout help please!

Hi ao,

So I've been trout fishing multiple times on water and ice and have never been able to land one. On ice today I had two at the ice only for them to seem to just spit the hook out. It's frustrating the heck out of me lol. Any tips appreciated!

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 02-26-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1797 View Post
Hi ao,

So I've been trout fishing multiple times on water and ice and have never been able to land one. On ice today I had two at the ice only for them to seem to just spit the hook out. It's frustrating the heck out of me lol. Any tips appreciated!
Maybe get a jaw jacker. Second you probably would benefit from relaxing when the fish gets close to the hole. Don't try to pull them into the hole. Wait for the head to be coming directly under the hole before you pull them up. You will lose less fish the more you slow things down at the hole.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Maybe get a jaw jacker. Second you probably would benefit from relaxing when the fish gets close to the hole. Don't try to pull them into the hole. Wait for the head to be coming directly under the hole before you pull them up. You will lose less fish the more you slow things down at the hole.
Thx Brandon I'll try that...I've actually been waiting for the jawjacker to go on sale haha .

Old 02-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Is there a particular depth they like to be at this time of year?

Old 02-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thx Brandon I'll try that...I've actually been waiting for the jawjacker to go on sale haha .
They were on sale lots this winter but you missed your chance now. We won't have any more at the fishin hole until next year now.

My guess is you are using too big of lures/bait if you have tried that often and not getting any action. Getting a good hook set and then making sure your drag isn't too tight(should be able to pull drag when they want to run) is the key to landing them after they are hooked.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Is there a particular depth they like to be at this time of year?
3-30 fow(probably narrowed it down lol). Depends on the lake and even time of day where they will be.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Try using laser sharpened hooks, they work great for setting the hook because they are very sharp!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Most of my trout are 8-18 FOW. Sometimes shallower never deeper for me. The biggest thing is to us a slip bobber. Watch the bobber for movement , it rarely goes completly under but set the hook on movement . Don't watch the fish bite as most of the time you will pull it away before they have it. I tie two jigs on the line kinda like a pickeral rig and tip with power bait or simular.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Try using laser sharpened hooks, they work great for setting the hook because they are very sharp!
Good advice any time, for any species but would also add sharpen them if they need it (heck even if they dont).

Never seen a hook that was to sharp.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM

I usually just bring along my 12 gauge. When the little suckers get near the hole put the barrel to the hole and let-er fly. Does the trick every time.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Default I know nothing about ice fishing.

In fact I have no idea why you guys do it.

On the other hand I have been trout fishing with a fly rod since I was a boy.

Take it from me, Alberta has some of the finest fly rod streams in this country, and I've fished in every province.

There are some excellent fly fishers on this site and tyers as well. All you need to get started are; waders, a 8 1/2 feet or more, listen to the other guys on this because I like a long rod so I can "Dap" they'll tell you. A floating DT line that you can see, I like white, and some elk hair caddis flys and some elk hair grasshoppers.

When the season opens and when the water is clear go for it.

On one memorable opening day on the Bow, with a canoe full of excited scouts, I caught 33 between Glenmore trail bridge and Policemen's flats.

I help a 12 year old boy using borrowed equipment release the biggest brown trout I've ever seen, just as the F&W man arrived! Unforgettable.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:30 PM

use crappie nibblets on a jaw jacker. take the small jig that comes with the jaw jacker 5lb test mono and 3 lb floro let the trout's head go in the hole rether than pulling it into the hole. keep line tight or the fish go bye bye.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaDang View Post
I usually just bring along my 12 gauge. When the little suckers get near the hole put the barrel to the hole and let-er fly. Does the trick every time.
Funny guy

Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
let the trout's head go in the hole rether than pulling it into the hole. keep line tight or the fish go bye bye.
I understand keeping the line tight but maybe this is my problem...keeping the line tight and bringing in line seem to go hand in hand for me.