Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes, they actually have more leeway in search and seizure situations than other LEO's do.

LC c
Yep, more legal authority than any other law enforcement agency in the province.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Was out this weekend at a lake west of Edmonton. We had just parked our trucks on the ice, and within 2 minutes F&W stopped by. We did not even have our tailgates open yet. The officer got out of his truck and asked to see all of our licences and walleye tags. Everything was fine licence wise, he was totally professional, wished us good luck, and he drove away. He spent maybe 10 minutes with us.
One of our party, who only fishes twice a year at most, raised an interesting question.
He wanted to know why we would be asked to see our angling licences, when we were clearly not fishing. And as I mentioned previously, we had no holes drilled, tents set up, etc.
What is the protocol in this situation? Was he within his right to ask?
Just be nice and answer the questions it is a way they look for indicators or red flags, booze etc...if you got nothing to hide a polite conversation often opens up to laughs and these guys no an area will,tell,ya where they have seen the action etc so it's a win win situation...get mouthy and it can turn bad.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2017, 04:47 PM

I had a CO who checked my license while I was fishing this summer. Truck was not very far away and the other CO noticed a cooler in the bed of my truck(inside a topper with all my camping gear)

They asked if they could search the cooler for bait or illegal fish, I didn't have anything to hide so I just said yes to make it simple.

Looking back, I don't think they really had any ground to stand on in terms of making me open the cooler. Seems like they are getting a little greedy with their rights. Thoughts??
Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM

You have intent to fish which he can see and if you say no to producing documents you bess know all the rules as he will find something to come down on you for.
F&W is protecting all of us and what they stand for. Be cooperative and let him do his job and he will be on his way...
Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Just be nice and answer the questions it is a way they look for indicators or red flags, booze etc...if you got nothing to hide a polite conversation often opens up to laughs and these guys no an area will,tell,ya where they have seen the action etc so it's a win win situation...get mouthy and it can turn bad.
Exactly..
4 of us bbq ing on the ice at Lac Ste Anne
F.W Asked for our lic we answered with a smile, we are not fishing. Had some good laughs with the boys on their way they went. They didn't even look in our truck or coolers
Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I had a CO who checked my license while I was fishing this summer. Truck was not very far away and the other CO noticed a cooler in the bed of my truck(inside a topper with all my camping gear)

They asked if they could search the cooler for bait or illegal fish, I didn't have anything to hide so I just said yes to make it simple.

Looking back, I don't think they really had any ground to stand on in terms of making me open the cooler. Seems like they are getting a little greedy with their rights. Thoughts??
seems to me the CO was paying attention and knows the normal spots people might hide fish or other contraband. he was doing a great job.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 PM

Of course they were within their rights...

Obviously CO's have a lot of ground to cover so they check people when it works for them not sitting and waiting for you to be ready... They saw you drive onto a lake known for fishing, why else would you be there? Most likely for fishing and if not you simply say you aren't there to fish...

The fact you made this thread makes me think either you had something to hide or regularly do. Just be an upstanding citizen, answer the questions and produce documents when asked.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Well within rights, they can search your whole vehicle and all your tackle boxes etc if they want to...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

Simply having a spool of I line on your dash is enough for them to have probable cause to search you. They have more rights to search and seizure than the rcmp do. The only thing they can't search without a warrant is a private domicile.

Sit down and read the act one day.

Also just a little tidbit of they do seize your property you have a limited amount of time to put in a request to the crown to get it back whether you are guilty or not.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 PM

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/progra...eOfficers.aspx

Fish and Wildlife Officers in the Community

The Government of Alberta’s goals are to protect, preserve and manage Alberta's fish and wildlife, and to protect the lives and property of Albertans.

To help meet these goals, Alberta's Fish and Wildlife officers:

Ensure Albertans understand and follow legislation that protects fish and wildlife through education, prevention and enforcement.
Administer programs and operations for human / wildlife conflict management.
Provide support for public safety programs.

What Fish and Wildlife Officers Do
Education

Ensure that fish and wildlife legislation is understood and followed by working with stakeholders including anglers, commercial users, hunters, industry, landowners, researchers and trappers.
Represent the government in media, schools and with stakeholder organizations and civic groups.
Inform industry, property owners and recreationalists about wildlife management, such as preventing conflicts with wildlife.

Prevention

Through hunter checks, verify hunters have the necessary licences and documentation and ensure compliance with regulations addressing public safety, respect for property and the legal harvest of game.
Through angler checks, verify anglers have the necessary licenses and documentation and ensure compliance with regulations. When checking boats, officers may also inspect vessels for proper vessel safety equipment.
Operate check stops to ensure compliance with hunting and angling legislation and regulations, including transportation and appropriate documentation. This is often done in partnership with other enforcement agencies.
Assist the public in acquiring necessary permits for importing/exporting wildlife and possessing found dead wildlife.
Conduct periodic inspections of businesses that handle wildlife such as taxidermists and meat processors

Enforcement

Conduct investigations of illegal activity, collect evidence, compile court briefs, research legislation and testify in court.
Execute warrants, prepare and serve legal documents and issue summonses, violation tickets and warnings.
Assist other law enforcement agencies when required.
Conduct major investigations, undercover and surveillance operations and provide forensic services across the province. To accomplish this, Fish and Wildlife officers are assigned to the Forensic Unit, Major Investigations and Intelligence Unit or Undercover Unit.

Human / Wildlife Conflict Management

Deliver the prevention, mitigation and compensation programs of Alberta’s problem wildlife management strategy.
Respond to wildlife/human conflicts that pose a public safety concern.
Advise landowners and industry representatives about effective wildlife control measures that can be implemented on their own.
Investigate reports of property damage caused by wildlife.
Examine livestock kills to determine if a predator, such as a bear, wolf or cougar, was responsible and initiate control actions.

Public Safety

Respond to calls, including after-hours, emergency calls made to the Report a Poacher line.
Investigate wildlife encounters with humans and predation on livestock.
Capture, immobilize and relocate problem wildlife, or euthanize, if necessary.
Assist with search and rescue efforts.

Legal Authorities

Fish and Wildlife officers have the authority to enforce a number of provincial and federal regulations:
Provincial legislation

Wildlife Act and Regulation
Fisheries (Alberta) Act and Regulations
Traffic Safety Act and Regulations (numerous regulations such as OHV Reg.)
Gaming and Liquor Act and Regulation (limited)
Provincial Offences Procedure Act and Regulation
Forests Act and Regulations
Public Lands Act (limited)
Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act and Regulation (limited)
Petty Trespass Act
Provincial Parks Act and Regulation
Wilderness Areas, Ecological Reserves, Natural Areas and Heritage Rangelands Act
Fuel Tax Act and Regulation

Federal legislation

Fisheries Act (Canada) and Regulations
Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 and Regulations
Freshwater Fish Marketing Act
WAPPRIITA (Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act and Regulations)
Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations and Small Vessel Regulations
Criminal Code
Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 AM

What on earth were you expecting? He's a fish cop and you were driving on a lake. Should he have asked you if you were waterskiing? Or if you wanted a double-double from Tim's. He did what he's paid to do.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What on earth were you expecting? He's a fish cop and you were driving on a lake. Should he have asked you if you were waterskiing? Or if you wanted a double-double from Tim's. He did what he's paid to do.
HAHA that's funny right there. Gave me a chuckle on my last night shift. Thanks
Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 AM

A few years back, me and a buddy were coming home from fishing hauling the small fishing boat behind the truck down the highway ( no fish released them all) when we were pulled over by F&W officers, before they even look in the truck or boat, one came over to my window (passenger) and asked me for my fishing licence. Thought this was kind of strange. Checked us out and on our way we went.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Was out this weekend at a lake west of Edmonton. We had just parked our trucks on the ice, and within 2 minutes F&W stopped by. We did not even have our tailgates open yet. The officer got out of his truck and asked to see all of our licences and walleye tags. Everything was fine licence wise, he was totally professional, wished us good luck, and he drove away. He spent maybe 10 minutes with us.
One of our party, who only fishes twice a year at most, raised an interesting question.
He wanted to know why we would be asked to see our angling licences, when we were clearly not fishing. And as I mentioned previously, we had no holes drilled, tents set up, etc.
What is the protocol in this situation? Was he within his right to ask?
your friend should have asked him that question we're not fishing why do you want to see our license.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Banned

I suppose you're within your rights to ask just about anything but depending on how you go about it could set the tone for the rest of the interaction.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Default So what

If you are doing nothing wrong who cares if they stop he or she may even help you locate a hotspot or latest hotbait
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM

The only people that don't like the co's are usually the ones that are doing something wrong. Most of the time they are good guy just doing there job! I would love to have there job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
The only people that don't like the co's are usually the ones that are doing something wrong. Most of the time they are good guy just doing there job! I would love to have there job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May not be a bad job, but the pay isn't great. Head CO for Central Alberta Region was talking to the kids I had out fishing about a career as a CO. He was really good with the boys. Anyhow, we got chatting and I asked him about wages. 4 yrs of university and you top out at $72K and can make about $10K in overtime. Beyond that you need to move up the chain to go any higher. Many would like the lifestyle, but that's not a great family wage.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott n View Post
sorry dude, but they can ask you anything pretty much. How is this any different than a check stop for drinking? Plus, all the person has to say when asked is that they aren't fishing. Asking someone for their license isn't being unreasonable sitting at a lake. Asking someone for a fishing license at a walmart parking lot would be different.
x1
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 eye View Post
A few years back, me and a buddy were coming home from fishing hauling the small fishing boat behind the truck down the highway ( no fish released them all) when we were pulled over by F&W officers, before they even look in the truck or boat, one came over to my window (passenger) and asked me for my fishing licence. Thought this was kind of strange. Checked us out and on our way we went.
This happens all the time at fish and wildlife check stops. If you haven't been, or will not be fishing (hunting), say so and you are on your way. If you lie and they see any tiny bit of evidence.....get ready for a bad day. Nothing wrong with it unless you have a guilty conscious.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 AM

COs can basically check you whenever the want (even if you are driving down the highway with a boat. That is why there are rules and regulations about transporting fish. For example, you have to have your fish in a state as you transport them that you can tell the number, species, and length(for species with size limits). Also if you are transporting fish that is not yours, you technically need a written statement from the person that caught them and their fishing licence number.

If they even have reasonable suspicion that you have more fish than you are supposed to at your residence, they are allowed (under warrant) to come to your house and search your freezers(very uncommon to happen). For the last one to happen you basically have to be reported for poaching by someone that has seen your licence plate or knows where you live.

If a CO asks for your licence or see your catch, just do it and continue fishing happily.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Well within rights, they can search your whole vehicle and all your tackle boxes etc if they want to...
I always thought that they were similar to cops in the fact that they need reasonable intent to search a person/vehicle. Can you show anything that says otherwise?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
COs can basically check you whenever the want (even if you are driving down the highway with a boat. That is why there are rules and regulations about transporting fish. For example, you have to have your fish in a state as you transport them that you can tell the number, species, and length(for species with size limits). Also if you are transporting fish that is not yours, you technically need a written statement from the person that caught them and their fishing licence number.

If they even have reasonable suspicion that you have more fish than you are supposed to at your residence, they are allowed (under warrant) to come to your house and search your freezers(very uncommon to happen). For the last one to happen you basically have to be reported for poaching by someone that has seen your licence plate or knows where you live.

If a CO asks for your licence or see your catch, just do it and continue fishing happily.
Not true, they only have jurisdiction over you if you have and SIGN your fishing license. Why do you think they make such a big deal that it is signed. By signing your license you are agreeing to adhere to the regulations, which I personally don't contest.

Boating does not equal fishing. Similarly, carrying a rifle in the woods during or outside of hunting season does not equal hunting.

Learn the law, know your rights.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Banned

I'd suggest you read the act. With or without a license you are under their jurisdiction.

Go read it I did.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
Not true, they only have jurisdiction over you if you have and SIGN your fishing license. Why do you think they make such a big deal that it is signed. By signing your license you are agreeing to adhere to the regulations, which I personally don't contest.

Boating does not equal fishing. Similarly, carrying a rifle in the woods during or outside of hunting season does not equal hunting.

Learn the law, know your rights.
So your only under their jurisdiction if you sign your fishing license??? WTH are you smoking? so if your hunting but don't have a signed fishing license then they cant touch you? lol. signing a fishing license has sweet buggar all to do with whether or not a fish cop has jurisdiction.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
So your only under their jurisdiction if you sign your fishing license??? WTH are you smoking? so if your hunting but don't have a signed fishing license then they cant touch you? lol. signing a fishing license has sweet buggar all to do with whether or not a fish cop has jurisdiction.
I don't think my message was that cryptic but based on your response I probably should have been more clear.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 PM

You people have made a bg ol' Mountain out of a mole hill with this thread!
Back to the OP, they were checked for fishing lisences in the ice , it happens glad to see them out
If they didn't have walleye tags who cares they could have been going after something else
Cat
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 PM

F W can ask what they please,if you feel you don't want to answer than he will wonder why ,so if your on a lake he wasn't going ask for your movie pass ,he wants to know if you have a license ,some are banned from fishing and hunting so he double checks his info to make sure all is legal,if there were no FW guys you would have zero to fish and hunt for,so thank them every time for making this all happen so you can enjoy it,just like any other job you may find some not so nice,but most of them I know are top notch guys and will help you in anyway they can.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM

I've been checked dozens of times over the years. Personally I love it, great to chat with officers that have been in the woods and have knowledge of areas and what other sportsmen are doing. Usually results in sharing a coffee and some nice conversation. Have gleaned some great information about hunting and fishing areas and have been asked to help in a few situations.

I guess like anything in life, you get what you put into it. Go into it belligerent you receive that back. Extend a hand and you will receive friendship.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-01-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You people have made a bg ol' Mountain out of a mole hill with this thread!

Cat
Yep, Dom4 called that would happen early on.

FYI, at Gull this weekend we were checked by RCMP on sleds. I'm assuming anyone else was as well. Nice guys and easy going. That is a first for me at Gull but still never been checked by F&W there. It is a very busy lake though...

Pigeon, I see and talk with F&W at least once every year.