Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Holy Carp! 16 lb. Koi caught in St. Albert pond.

Just saw on the news that an 11-year-old boy caught a 30 inch 16-pound koi out of Lacombe Lake in St. Albert on Wednesday morning. Go figure he caught it using a very elaborate fishing rig.... a hook and a piece of wiener. A koi that big is probably older than the boy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lake-1.4805178

*Note to self: Maybe try fishing some urban ponds for fun.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-01-2018, 10:11 AM

They’ve had a long run of problems there with citiots ‘releasing their pets into the wild to live free’, there’s often newspaper articles from AEP on the subject and why fish should go in the trash. Invariably some hairy armpit granola mom writes in to argue about ‘the scantily of life’ or some such garbage.

Thought they hit it with rotenone last year? Hmmm...
Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hmmmm sounds like a good place to take a kid, hot dogs and goldfish

Probably gave the crappy tire rod a good work out.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 AM

Solution - band the sale and possession of all aquarium fish in the province.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
No offense,,,,, but are you serious? Just because some folks do bad things with goldfish, we need to ban goldfish?

Kinda sounds like anti gun logic........
Old 09-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
No offense,,,,, but are you serious? Just because some folks do bad things with goldfish, we need to ban goldfish?

No, I think you misread. He said band...as in band and register the sale of all aquarium fish. That way we could have another registry and create more jobs.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 AM

With new tech.in tripoloiding our trout.Why couldn't they [govt.] implement stelised tropicals in the provinces Pet stores Suppliers.Most trout suppliers have been converted to this,tripoloid your product.Or NO SALES..
Old 09-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I think that's the joke
Old 09-02-2018, 01:02 PM

What I find surprising is they killed 45,000 goldfish in another pond in St. Albert. Dang that's crazy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Sorry ban, dead serious no joke. How else can you try to manage invasive species. Just continue telling people not to do it?

FYI, I have no issues with firearms being owned/used by law abiding citizens for the record
Old 09-03-2018, 01:45 PM

I was at Mandalay Bay a few years ago and got to chatting with one of the aquarium keepers. We were standing by the piranha tank and she was telling me how Nevada is having a huge problem with people releasing piranhas into the wild and how they have become invasive down there. She couldn’t believe we sell them in pet stores up here.

Maybe a better solution would be to only sell tropical fish that can’t survive the winters here.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:05 PM

They need micro chips in the fish so when they cull them, they can identify the the owners and charge them.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
They need micro chips in the fish so when they cull them, they can identify the the owners and charge them.
Uh huh......lol
Old 09-03-2018, 08:10 PM

In this video clip a St Albert Environment Scientist said that koi can freeze in the winter and then thaw in the spring and keep swimming!!

But then it is easy to see how they can take 45,000 out of storm ponds and how serious a situation this is.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1477345
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM

Yup, people C&R in that pond, even though they are instructed to kill their catches. Happens at Summerside as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I agree with you on that but only a few aquarium fish sold in pet store can survive our climate. So ban fish that can survive here, which is basically carp species. You can’t have rats as pets in Alberta.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Two days ago, those red goldfishes were got rid of from the pond, rainbow trout will be restocked in the pond
Old 09-17-2018, 06:05 PM

I resume the fish aren't good eats?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Yup!

Posted this last week:

Last week I was walking around Lacombe Lake in St. Albert. While I was walking around the lake I noticed what I believed to be an Osprey hovering over the lake in circles around 200 feet up, he/she was obviously scoping it out so I stopped to watch what would happen. I knew there were fish in the lake because I had stopped in the past and asked people that were fishing there what they were fishing for? I was told gold fish, so I laughed to myself and went along my way thinking fishing for tiny gold fish that's funny!

Sure enough it was an Osprey and within 5 minutes of circling down it came really fast, it hit the water hard and to my amazement it took off with a gold fish in claws, not the type of gold fish that you see in an aquarium. this gold fish in my estimation was at least 5 lbs and it was gold in color because I could see the color perfectly!

Anyway a couple of days later I was doing my daily walk and the city was spraying the lake to kill these gold fish that are an invasive species because they want to stock trout in it. I looked in the lake and could not beleve all of the 5 lbs. + gold fish dying in the lake and flaoting to the surface.

If someone had of told me that I would witness an Osprey dive bombing a tiny lake in the city and see it fly away with a 5 lbs + fish I would never had believed them in a million years, yet it happened.

Only sad part of this story it that the Osprey will be gone now that all the fish are all dead. The young boy did catch a 16 lbs gold fish! Next time someone tells me they are fishing for gold fish in the city I am definitely getting my fishing rod lol.

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 09-17-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Default yup

Sharpened my fly casting in that pond, and there used to be trout in there too. Hooking those blobs was fun, Did you notice any of my flies in that goldfish! Used to have great blue herons in the neighborhood too, fun watching them spear goldfish. Now I get to watch the grass grow.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
Sharpened my fly casting in that pond, and there used to be trout in there too. Hooking those blobs was fun, Did you notice any of my flies in that goldfish! Used to have great blue herons in the neighborhood too, fun watching them spear goldfish. Now I get to watch the grass grow.
Didn't notice any flies in them lakerman, but I can assure if I had of known there were 16 lbs gold fish in that pond I would have fished it every night instead of walking around it and laughing at the people fishing for gold fish lol
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Only sad part of this story it that the Osprey will be gone now that all the fish are all dead.
Meh, that Osprey has its nest right in the communications tower by the Lois Hole Hippie & Veggie Mart. He'll be just fine, fishing at the nearby ponds and Big Lake.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
I just realized that I saw a few dogs running around there with Elk Hair Caddis flies stuck in their hide, yours? hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Meh, that Osprey has its nest right in the communications tower by the Lois Hole Hippie & Veggie Mart. He'll be just fine, fishing at the nearby ponds and Big Lake.
Yup that is why they wanted the fish gone, they were concerned that the Osprey would drop some of them alive in Big Lake and then they would invade there as well.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Holy Carp! 16 lb. Koi caught in St. Albert pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Yup that is why they wanted the fish gone, they were concerned that the Osprey would drop some of them alive in Big Lake and then they would invade there as well.

Exactly... Plus another nearby pond connects to the Sturgeon river system, so the potential for infection made this necessary.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned

Default Update

Hi Folks, just an UPDATE:

I went for my daily walk around Lacombe Park lake yesterday and I saw a biologist that had just finished spaying the lake for the second and last time.

I asked him what was the biggest Koi that surfaced dead/floater after their 1st spraying? He told be a couple were over 20 LBS

I should not have laughed off the guys that were fishing for gold fish and spent some serious time fishing there, I have not caught a 20+ lbs. fish since my last fishing trip to BC three years ago.

Lesson Learned! lol

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 09-20-2018 at 01:11 PM.