Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Default 2014 Hunting season..A quick, but successful one!! (Pic Heavy)

Well Gents,

The 2014 Hunting season was one I surely wont forget for some time!! Being in college, I was very limited to the time I could spend in the field doing what I love. The first time I was able to get out for a quick 3 day mule deer (w/ a mule deer doe tag and whitetail buck tag in hand) hunt was the weekend prior to remembrance day with a couple of my uncles in chase for my first mule deer. Within the first 30 minutes of legal hunting light the action was in full force..seeing 2 dandy bull moose with 100 yards and 6 whitetail does not too long after. After waiting out out the does and determining there was no buck with them, we made our way to the next field and sure enough along the bush line were a group of 4 mule deer does roughly 200 yards away. After getting prone and setting up the bi-pod, I picked out the biggest doe and let her have it with the .270 wsm! After a bit of a tricky tracking job (only finding one rub line of blood along the brush) we found my doe (first mule deer) and the celebration was on!

2014-11-20 21.56.40.jpg

For me, it doesn't matter where its a buck or doe..it always gets the blood pumping especially after being skunked last season! Fast forward to following weekend where I flew home for the annual whitetail hunt with my dad, only this time I would be accompanied by Great Uncle Gerry from California who also had a tag in hand!

20141117_121140.jpg

Now I know in most areas of the province, the numbers are way down but I can't even begin to describe what its like to go back a mere 2 hunting seasons and what we were used to seeing on a daily basis in the month of November compared to now. My Great Uncle simply was at a loss for words saying this was easily the worst he has seen it in the last 35+ years he had been hunting on our families property. As much as I was hoping to get some good footage to put together a little something like I had done for last season, I just wanted to enjoy being blessed to do what I love for possibly the last time with my great uncle! After 2 long days of sticking it out in the freezing cold and not a whole heck of a lot to show for our efforts, my great uncle decided to sport the "lucky toque" and sure enough on the third night with less than 20 minutes of legal shooting light left, it all came together within a matter of minutes. On our way back from an unsuccessful rattle session, we went to go check an alfalfa field we knew the does were feeding on the last couple nights after legal shooting light and luckily we cut off 3 does and a buck that were making their way in that direction. They all ran into the bush line and stopped about 20 yards in. I walked up and down the line until I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and sure enough it was the buck! I didn't hesitate for a second as I recognized him from my cameras, I put the cross hairs on his boiler room and let the gun go boom! The tracking job was similar to that of my doe, only finding one little spot of blood with the buck piled up roughly 10 yards form where I had shot him. I gotta say, that feeling never gets old gentleman!!

MFDC0343.jpeg

MFDC0452.jpeg

MFDC0309.jpeg

2014-11-20 21.52.57.jpg

20141115_173357_1.jpg

2014-11-18 09.35.27.png

Unfortunately for my dad it just never happened; he hunted long and hard and ran into the misfortune of having a "monster" stick to a neighbouring piece of land we don't have permission on..consistently within shooting distance. As for my uncle, he's shot his fair share of dandy whitetails in his day and wouldn't pull the trigger on just any deer. All in all, it was a great four days spent with my dad, great uncle and the best grand parents a guy could ask for! Cheers Gents

Last edited by CountryLife94; 12-01-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Awsome story! Congrats!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the story. Looks like it was a great Season.