Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Default NSR species identification

Hi guys, I was up on a river trip this past weekend in between Drayton Valley and Genesee Bridge. I caught some species of fish I have never seen before or knew existed in the river and was wondering if someone can help identify them.

1. It was small, silvery, and had black spots all over its body and had a similair appereance to a trout type of species. I didn't know there was trout in this part of the river.

2. A sucker with a red tail and red stripe along its back. A really neat looking fish.

Thank you for your help and I apologize if that I don't have pictures to share.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
Hi guys, I was up on a river trip this past weekend in between Drayton Valley and Genesee Bridge. I caught some species of fish I have never seen before or knew existed in the river and was wondering if someone can help identify them.

1. It was small, silvery, and had black spots all over its body and had a similair appereance to a trout type of species. I didn't know there was trout in this part of the river.

2. A sucker with a red tail and red stripe along its back. A really neat looking fish.

I think I would need a picture for #1... Could be a few things.

#2 sounds like a shortnose redhorse...
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks. I kind of thought it was that one.

Is it possible for Cutthroat Trout or Rainbows to be in that part of the river? Because that's what I'm thinking it could be.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I kind of thought it was that one.

Is it possible for Cutthroat Trout or Rainbows to be in that part of the river? Because that's what I'm thinking it could be.
absolutely trout are caught in there from west of Edmonton , further west better your odds id say .
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Before you go fishing you should always take note of the fish species in the system you are fishing, it's common sense.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massari View Post
Before you go fishing you should always take note of the fish species in the system you are fishing, it's common sense.
why? maybe he doesnt plan on keeping any caught fish........ what makes it so important and "common sense" to know?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
If your not keepin em why should one care the man asked a simple question so a simple answer is good enough...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
If your not keepin em why should one care the man asked a simple question so a simple answer is good enough...
it is common sense to research the fish you catching! for many reasons, even if not keeping.......too bad no picture of the first one, have not seen a nsr trout before......there is no legal reason to research, just for ones personal knowledge if nothing else
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps ..David

http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/an...%20sucker.html
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...pful-info.html
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM

are you guys kidding, it's common sense when you go to a water system for fishing to know what is in that water system, that kind of means you do not pay attention to the regulations and do not really care, Alberta fisheries is a joke as is but come on when you go to a lake or a river know what you are fishing for and always pinch barbs.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
are you guys kidding, it's common sense when you go to a water system for fishing to know what is in that water system, that kind of means you do not pay attention to the regulations and do not really care, Alberta fisheries is a joke as is but come on when you go to a lake or a river know what you are fishing for and always pinch barbs.
Watchout ladies and gentlemen looks like we got another self proclaimed fish cop on our hands.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
go back and read my first post slowly and answer the question......
Old 07-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
go back and read my first post slowly and answer the question......
Doesn't matter if you plan on keeping fish or not you know, you should still do your research on what species of fish is in the body of water you are fishing
Old 07-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you plan on keeping fish or not you know, you should still do your research on what species of fish is in the body of water you are fishing
why?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM

The water system could be contaminated and also if they do not know what fish are in the body of water they are fishing chances are they could end up keeping fish in a body of water that is c and r
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The water system could be contaminated and also if they do not know what fish are in the body of water they are fishing chances are they could end up keeping fish in a body of water that is c and r
I said if he dont plan on keeping any fish. I asked you nicely to read slower....
Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I said if he dont plan on keeping any fish. I asked you nicely to read slower....
sorry but i cannot read
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
why? maybe he doesnt plan on keeping any caught fish........ what makes it so important and "common sense" to know?
LOL Agreed . pop the hook out let it go . All though you taking a few home best better know what your catching and any restrictions .
Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
A barb? Wtf is that???

I jk, I jk.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 PM

I personally like to use barbed hooks when im fishing the nsr for those big perch looking fish, makes it easier to get them to shore and throw them into the pan!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
haha mayb not "common sense" because it's not that common, but I was thinking more along the lines of doing research to increase your chances of catching fish and so on.....

next time you catch a fish that you dont know what it is, take a pic and post it so it's easier to identify, and also so a few people can feel like they know everything and make fun of you for not knowing

Last edited by NSR Monger; 07-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

how small? Did it have an adipose fin? What did you catch it on? Was the mouth pointing down, in the middle or pointing up?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinmat View Post
I personally like to use barbed hooks when im fishing the nsr for those big perch looking fish, makes it easier to get them to shore and throw them into the pan!
I agree with you, barbs also work great on those big grey sucker fish. Damn things sure are sharp though, especially the small ones! The bastids have razor blades on them. Oh well, they make for great pike bait in Wabby.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

I've caught lots of non-sport fish which I couldn't identify.

What's the problem here?

To the OP:

Did the black spots have a halo around them?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I've caught lots of non-sport fish which I couldn't identify.

What's the problem here?

To the OP:

Did the black spots have a halo around them?
Lots? from the river? lol probly not
No problem, just agreeing it's common sense to research a body of water you plan on fishing, but I am curious about the first fish, anyone got a pic of a trout from the nsr?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=132038
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
i dont get it? that was one fish and I got made fun of for not knowing what it was......... hence my joke at people making fun of you for this, as well as I said there probably was not LOTS of fish he could not identify, annnnnnnnnnnd if you really wanna be douche bags, at least I knew which 2 fish it could possibly be but was having trouble identifying due to ****ty online pics and my rookie ***** experience, some of you guys on this site really need to stop being so sad that god did not bless you in the genital region and stop taking it out on everyone else, I criticize people about some rookie mistakes, but thats because some rookie mistakes are VERY EASILY avoided, I'm a rookie by most standards and I also criticize some people because they hold the fish up to the camera to make a decent fish look huge, some of you seriously need to get a life, atleast i did the research to narrow it down to 2 fish

Last edited by NSR Monger; 07-31-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Lol at monger....