Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
It says approved pellet bbqs look for one that says you can use heating pellets in them smarty
look for any bbq that says you can use anything but their branded pellets.
Traeger only recommends their pellets just as Louisiana only recommends their or Pit Boss pellets (same company)

Like they say, common sense isn't that common any more......
Old 06-18-2018, 07:01 PM

I have a GMG Daniel Boone, and I am really liking it so far. I love the fact that I can run down the street to have a beer with my buddy, and I can still control the grill and see what my internal meat temps are.

Also, GMG does not care what brand of cooking pellet that you use, I still wouldn't want my food cooked over a heating pellet though. A good 40lb bag of pellets is only $20, and it lasts for quite a few cooks.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Can anybody recommend a dealer for the Louisiana grills in the Calgary area? The manufacturer "Locate A Dealer" webpage isn't working.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
look for any bbq that says you can use anything but their branded pellets.
Traeger only recommends their pellets just as Louisiana only recommends their or Pit Boss pellets (same company)

Like they say, common sense isn't that common any more......
None of them say you can only use their branded products,, do you even own one? You smoke away, cancer can only help your thought process, like they say,common sense isn’t common anymore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDF5C76F-8A04-4F87-B339-5D6F893E3FB5.jpg (30.9 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 06-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Can anyone recommend a GMG dealer in the Edmonton area?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
Can anyone recommend a GMG dealer in the Edmonton area?
I bought from a guy nw of Devon,,,google is where i found him,,,a French last name
Old 06-18-2018, 10:14 PM

GMG has a June special on right now.

JIM BOWIE - INSTANT REBATE OF $150
DANIEL BOONE - INSTANT REBATE OF $125
DAVEY CROCKET - INSTANT REBATE OF $100

Weiss Johnson fireplaces off argyll has stock (free bag of pellet with purchase)

Home Hardware in Sherwood Park also has them in stock

I have a Daniel Boone and Davey Crocket
Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless_84 View Post
Can anybody recommend a dealer for the Louisiana grills in the Calgary area? The manufacturer "Locate A Dealer" webpage isn't working.
I bought mine from Ed's Pellet Stoves & BBQ in Carstairs

https://sites.google.com/site/edspelletstoves/
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
None of them say you can only use their branded products,, do you even own one? You smoke away, cancer can only help your thought process, like they say,common sense isn’t common anymore
Yes, I'm sure a forum post from 2014 holds weight over their updated website stating that it is safe for cooking......
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I'm sure a forum post from 2014 holds weight over their updated website stating that it is safe for cooking......

Give them a shout:

info@canawick.com
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Give them a shout:

info@canawick.com
No need too, i'm good with using their product.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:18 AM

I just put together my new silverback and saw that the instructions say to use pellets that are 100 percent hardwood and give less than 2 percent ash, which this Canawick does meet. Would be nice if someone out there has a definitive answer on these. Funny how the price is actually what’s stopping me from cooking with them.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
If you did any research at all you would have found right on their website that it say they can be used in pellet bbq

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
If I did any research at all... Please!!! Only months of researching almost every smoker available in North America, all pellets available at retailers and you are the only guy that recommends a pellet made and designed for wood stoves, not pellet grills. Are you truly smarter than the millions of people using all other pellets on the market that are intended for cooking with? Tell us why there are no people other than you (on this site or any BBQ site, let alone the BBQ competitions) that are promoting your amazing wood stove pellets? Don't you find it kind of odd that 99% of Canawiks advertising is all about providing a heating pellet and then basically in the fine print at the bottom of the page they mention you can use it in a BBQ. I'm sure you can but when the company itself says their product hasn't been tested for human consumption and then you basically tell me and everyone else we are idiots... I'm sure if they were legit, there would be many BBQ enthusiasts raving about the money savings and how great these pellets are.
But I'm never going to eat your cooking so knock yourself out, enjoy your cooking on your cheap heating pellets.

Sorry to the original poster, this has been a major hijack to your original question and I am done about the pellet saga.

If it means anything, a majority of the pellet smokers that were at the PorkaPallooza BBQ competition this wkd in Edm were Yoders. The Grand Champion team used drum smokers with charcoal/wood.
There were a few other pellet grills that included Traegar, LG, GMG, Rec Tec and camp chef from what I know, likely others too. Many other charcoal pits were used as well including webers, Oklahoma Joes, Green Eggs, Kamados etc.
But I can guarantee you that there was not 1 bag of Canawik pellets used in this competition...
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Banned

The reply I received from Canawick after I took the 3 seconds to email them:

Hi ------,

Although not intended for cooking purposes, we are aware that some people
use our wood pellets for cooking and smoking food. However please note we
have not conducted any tests regarding food/cooking safety.
Our pellets are a mixed blend of hardwoods (75%) and softwoods (25%).
Hardwoods are Maple, Birch and aspen. The softwoods are Spruce and Fir. No
additives or fillers are added and all lubricant used in the machinery are
food grade.

We trust this responds to your questions.
Thank you!

-----Message d'origine-----
De : ---------------------------------------------
Envoyé : 19 juin 2018 09:45
À : info@canawick.com
Objet : Pellets

Hello,

Is it safe to use your pellets in the same manner as those pellets
manufactured by the large pellet grill companies such as Traegar, GMG and
Louisiana?
Are your pellets considered to be food grade?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
If I did any research at all... Please!!! Only months of researching almost every smoker available in North America, all pellets available at retailers and you are the only guy that recommends a pellet made and designed for wood stoves, not pellet grills. Are you truly smarter than the millions of people using all other pellets on the market that are intended for cooking with? Tell us why there are no people other than you (on this site or any BBQ site, let alone the BBQ competitions) that are promoting your amazing wood stove pellets? Don't you find it kind of odd that 99% of Canawiks advertising is all about providing a heating pellet and then basically in the fine print at the bottom of the page they mention you can use it in a BBQ. I'm sure you can but when the company itself says their product hasn't been tested for human consumption and then you basically tell me and everyone else we are idiots... I'm sure if they were legit, there would be many BBQ enthusiasts raving about the money savings and how great these pellets are.
But I'm never going to eat your cooking so knock yourself out, enjoy your cooking on your cheap heating pellets.

Sorry to the original poster, this has been a major hijack to your original question and I am done about the pellet saga.

If it means anything, a majority of the pellet smokers that were at the PorkaPallooza BBQ competition this wkd in Edm were Yoders. The Grand Champion team used drum smokers with charcoal/wood.
There were a few other pellet grills that included Traegar, LG, GMG, Rec Tec and camp chef from what I know, likely others too. Many other charcoal pits were used as well including webers, Oklahoma Joes, Green Eggs, Kamados etc.
But I can guarantee you that there was not 1 bag of Canawik pellets used in this competition...
There is a whole batch of people using Canawick and Elite Hardwood pellets in pellet BBQ's. I am part of multiple Facebook groups and this topic has been discussed multiple times over on those pages. Funny that you bring up competitions; one guy in Tennessee just won best ribs this past weekend using Canawick pellets; he did it to prove a point to individuals such as yourself.

You guys do what you want and I will do what I want.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
The reply I received from Canawick after I took the 3 seconds to email them:

Hi ------,

Although not intended for cooking purposes, we are aware that some people
use our wood pellets for cooking and smoking food. However please note we
have not conducted any tests regarding food/cooking safety.
Our pellets are a mixed blend of hardwoods (75%) and softwoods (25%).
Hardwoods are Maple, Birch and aspen. The softwoods are Spruce and Fir. No
additives or fillers are added and all lubricant used in the machinery are
food grade.

We trust this responds to your questions.
Thank you!

-----Message d'origine-----
De : ---------------------------------------------
Envoyé : 19 juin 2018 09:45
À : info@canawick.com
Objet : Pellets

Hello,

Is it safe to use your pellets in the same manner as those pellets
manufactured by the large pellet grill companies such as Traegar, GMG and
Louisiana?
Are your pellets considered to be food grade?

Thanks
This is the canned response that they give everyone that inquires about using pellets in the pellet bbq. I actually continued the dialog with them past the canned response and got into the details of what specific ratios of woods are in their product. We even when into lubricants post maintenance and what happens to those pellets.

After chatting with them I know that I'm content with using their product for cooking.

You do you, ok.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Just an update to my previous post on this thread.
Tried the Grilla Grills Silverbac for the first time last night. Looks good, built very solid, crappy controller, quite loud, take a long time to heat up.

I'm probably going to sell this and buy another GMG.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Just an update to my previous post on this thread.
Tried the Grilla Grills Silverbac for the first time last night. Looks good, built very solid, crappy controller, quite loud, take a long time to heat up.

I'm probably going to sell this and buy another GMG.
I was curious when you mentioned the Grilla the other day. Took a look at their website and watched the video on the Silverbac.

I was struck by the roar of the pellets combusting and wondered if noise would be an issue.

Can you elaborate a bit on the downsides of the controller?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM

at start up the GMG heats up to 150F then you can set to whatever temp you need.
at start up the Silverbac goes to 350F before it'll heat or cool to the desired temp. This seems silly to me as it just adds a lot on the start up time and many times you don't even want it that high in the first place. I need to talk to Grilla to see if this can be changed.

On the GMG when you push the probe button on the controller it'll stay on until you push it again to go to cooking temp.

On Silverbac you push the probe button and it shows the probe temp for 5 seconds then goes back to cooking temp. The GMG is better because you don't have to go outside to check where the probe temp is. I found it handy to be able to look out the window at the GMG especially in winter.

The GMG seems like there's a lot more height in the cooking area which can come in handy.

The GMG has an alarm that goes off when pellets are low.

GMG is a little quieter

The things i like about the Grilla is the robust build, the cooking grate is way heavier, the pellet hopper is bigger. The storage under the Silverbac is nice.

I must say that i just started cooking with the Silverbac so this is my first impression basically.

If i went back to a GMG i would make a heavier grate like the Silverbac's.

Happy Smokin!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 PM

I ended up getting the green mountain grill Daniel boon and its great. no complaints there at all. the pizza oven is great and cooks pizza fast when its cranked to 900f. also find the wifi works well. after a few try I had some friends over and we tried out the beer can mod for a little extra room for some ribs. worked so well we did it a second time with 3 racks to double the cooking surface.

Last edited by Dubious; 06-20-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 AM

I bought a LG900 last year after owning the small traeger I got at a costco roadshow a few months before. The only reason I switch was for an increase in size. I strongly considered a new traeger or GMG before I bought my LG. I went LG mainly because I got a great deal on one through a fathers day promotion. So far I have no regrets, love this grill. If I had to buy a new one I would strongly look at Rec Tec if I could find a dealer in the province.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:41 AM
Banned

I have a few smokers, one being a GMG pellet smoker https://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountai...9badf767b27c42. This is gift from my friends ,but I haven't use a pellet grill often, I just don't like the idea of being locked into buying pellets but that's me.
I would go with the Char-Griller https://cozzy.org/best-gas-grill-under-300/ Good capacity, all stainless,the cook/smoke low and slow. Great warranty, low cost for accessories.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Got a voice mail from my local Calgary Coop yesterday afternoon that I had won a BBQ in a draw. Asked me to stop in this morning to pick it up.

Pleasantly surprised it was a little Pit Boss Pellet Grill.

Now I just need to run out and get some pellets

Old 07-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Got a voice mail from my local Calgary Coop yesterday afternoon that I had won a BBQ in a draw. Asked me to stop in this morning to pick it up.

Pleasantly surprised it was a little Pit Boss Pellet Grill.

Now I just need to run out and get some pellets

Just in time for Stampede! Congrats... I was starting to wonder if anyone ever won :-)

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Just in time for Stampede! Congrats... I was starting to wonder if anyone ever won :-)

ARG
Thanks.
Neighbours used to complain when I ran the Bradley in the summer because of the smoke coming in their open windows.

Wonder how they will react to this?