Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM

Default NHL Offseason

Some really weird trades out there lately, sure wish Calgary would get in on the positive side of the action.

Montreal traded Galchenyuk, a 6'1", 207 lb, 24 year old center for Max Domi. Seriously? Yes, Domi had a good season and scored 18 goals once, the last two years, 9/season. Galchenyuk had 18, 17, and 30 going back three years. I wonder if Montreal would have traded Galchenyuk for Bennet.....

Then I see that Ottawa essentially traded Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker. Seriously, Boedker for Hoffman?!? Points wise, Boedkers best season (51 pts in 2013) is a pretty good comparable to Hoffman's worst season (48 pts in 2014). Over their careers, Hoffman is at 0.67 pts/game and Boedker is at 0.47 pts/game, assuming an 82 game season for each, that is a 17 point differential, per season.

I know Hoffman has some off ice issues going on right now, but to trade him for Boedker seems like a great deal for San Jose. The Sharks take for him seems like a way better return, what was Ottawa thinking?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM

Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Some really weird trades out there lately, sure wish Calgary would get in on the positive side of the action.

Montreal traded Galchenyuk, a 6'1", 207 lb, 24 year old center for Max Domi. Seriously? Yes, Domi had a good season and scored 18 goals once, the last two years, 9/season. Galchenyuk had 18, 17, and 30 going back three years. I wonder if Montreal would have traded Galchenyuk for Bennet.....

Then I see that Ottawa essentially traded Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker. Seriously, Boedker for Hoffman?!? Points wise, Boedkers best season (51 pts in 2013) is a pretty good comparable to Hoffman's worst season (48 pts in 2014). Over their careers, Hoffman is at 0.67 pts/game and Boedker is at 0.47 pts/game, assuming an 82 game season for each, that is a 17 point differential, per season.

I know Hoffman has some off ice issues going on right now, but to trade him for Boedker seems like a great deal for San Jose. The Sharks take for him seems like a way better return, what was Ottawa thinking?
boedker was a salary dump as Hoffman was flipped to the panthers shortly after
Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Ottawa's hands were tied. I'm a Sens fan and I was fairly satisfied with the return, until I learned what SJ received from FLA. Too bad they didn't unload him at the deadline.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Hoffman's value was at an all-time low. As mentioned above, Sens hands were tied. You don't know what you're getting with him until this issue with his fiancée is resolved.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Weren't Armstrong's hands tied as well? He got a way better return IMO and it took him what, 2 hours.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
boedker was a salary dump as Hoffman was flipped to the panthers shortly after
I don't think you quite realize what a typical "salary dump" is. Typically the team, when it comes to players/picks, doing the dumping gets the short end of the stick. An example, Detroit dumps Datsyuk’s salary to Arizona and gives up two picks. Arizona takes on the contract but the reward is two picks. In San Jose's case, they dumped the salary and got the picks.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 PM

I imagine Florida wanted Hoffman but only had picks to offer. Ottawa has tons of young players and wanted a veteran forward. In steps San Jose who wants picks. Everybody is happy.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think you quite realize what a typical "salary dump" is. Typically the team, when it comes to players/picks, doing the dumping gets the short end of the stick. An example, Detroit dumps Datsyuk’s salary to Arizona and gives up two picks. Arizona takes on the contract but the reward is two picks. In San Jose's case, they dumped the salary and got the picks.
Your comparison was Boedker for Hoffman and ultimately that wasn't how it ended up was all I was saying. San jose and Ottawa both saved money in the long run. Ottawa got the shaft because a divisional rival ended up with their goal scorer. Also, Monika Caryk wasn't on the trade list