Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2023, 11:24 PM

Default Forest floor browning except the burn

Last week we ventured into our area north of Fox Cr and even ran into a pocket of elk with a bugling bull in the second rut.

Was a bit surprised to hear this kind of elk action second week of Oct and as specially in the area that we know had been burnt out in early June.
But after walking from the normal mid October browning undergowth area into the burn, we discovered a lush green forest floor within the burn.

Got busted on day 4 of the bugling, oh well.
I was not surprised the elk were held up in this area.
And wouldn’t be surprised if they remain in this area and not in the farmers fields for a couple months still.

Thinking this fringe area is advantageous to the elk to feed in the burn & bed down back in the normal scrub thick area.

TBark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2070.jpg (67.8 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2076.jpg (39.7 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by TBark; 10-15-2023 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:18 AM

Burns that take out the undergrowth also take out the ticks.

The new growth is fantastic for the moose as well as there will be saplings already emerging for winter forage.

Next spring, if there is water, these burn areas will be the prime spot for "fire morels" which are extremely valuable.

Nature has its ways, and we cannot stand in its path.

Drewski
Old 10-16-2023, 11:26 AM

Friends hunt east of there and say the burn there is similar, except where it got white hot. Nothing but black dirt where the other areas look like your pics. I guess those areas will bounce back next spring.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:45 PM

That for the info. Good luck and watch for widow makers coming down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-16-2023, 01:08 PM

I've been to Waterton and the come back from the fire is phenomenal, hopefully we'll get the same here.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-17-2023, 06:27 AM

Just returned from our camp in the Peace country. Although we did not have moose tags, went there just to inspect the damage from the last fire.

Sporadic burn patches, some way hotter than others were noted. In the areas were things were hot, about a foot or so of ashes were noted, along with heavy tree damage. No new growth.

In surrounding areas were things weren't as hot, new growth already developing.

We noticed a few smoky "hot spots", and choppers with buckets were seen every day.

An interesting thing we witnessed is that elk moved into this area. Never seen them there before. Saw a small herd of 8 (cows/calves). Saw some moose sign, but not as heavy as last year. We did see a small bull.

I think the moose will be back, and next year should be back to normal, or better.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:26 PM

Sorry guys, a burned forest is exactly that. You are now at the bottom of the regrowth cycle. A mature forest that supports good game numbers is only 50 -100 years away.
PS That you see some game, the lost souls are wandering around wondering what happened to their home.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:14 PM

Not sure about that...
Have hunted the past several years in an area that was burned over in a big fire about 8-10 years ago.
Dead falls everywhere, huge growth of new poplar and birch saplings and lots of moose sign, tracks, browsed off tips and lots of poop, as well as moose.
Hunted this year in an area that had not burnt for at least 25 years.
Fairly mature bush, little new growth and... no moose.
Hmmm
Given a choice I know what I will be looking for next year.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Sorry guys, a burned forest is exactly that. You are now at the bottom of the regrowth cycle. A mature forest that supports good game numbers is only 50 -100 years away.
PS That you see some game, the lost souls are wandering around wondering what happened to their home.
So back in the day why did the natives start fires and burn forests. Was it because they were pyros or just didn't like forests and animals? Or was it because they wanted to improve habitat and increase game numbers for better hunting.

You crack me up sometimes
Old 10-17-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Friends hunt east of there and say the burn there is similar, except where it got white hot. Nothing but black dirt where the other areas look like your pics. I guess those areas will bounce back next spring.
This is an example of how fire can be good and bad depending on the intensity. Areas that burned hot enough to cook the organics out of the soil will take a long time to rebound. Areas that basically cleared undergrowth only will rebound fast. Areas that burn patchy leaving healthy mature timber pockets are best

Fire is definitely good in moderation but there is value in mature forests as well. This provides cover and helps ungulates over winters with heavy snow fall.

Mixed forest, mixed age class in vegetation/forest, and yes a little fire to start new young growth is a good. Too much of anything is not beneficial either
Old 10-17-2023, 07:11 PM

Years ago an area we hunted fairly regularly burned in the spring. The following fall we went hunting there. I’m not sure what the whitetail were eating but they were thick. Another area where we hunted moose got logged out. The following fall all the regrowth was about a foot tall. I saw 11 different bull moose eating on the new growth.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
So back in the day why did the natives start fires and burn forests. Was it because they were pyros or just didn't like forests and animals? Or was it because they wanted to improve habitat and increase game numbers for better hunting.

You crack me up sometimes
hes full of it, its coming out of his eyes.

sure, the places that look like Mordor arent good, but the majority of places ive seen look nothing like this and the undergrowth that came back this year is amazing.