Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Default kayak length?

Whats the scoop on short kayaks? Are they good on the river yet comfortable enough to use on a lake too?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Depends how short.
Depends on shape.
Depends what you mean by comfortable.
I'm happy paddling a 4m kayak on most rivers, but something nice and maneuverable. I'm also happy paddling something about 3m on flat water, but not a white water style boat - something with most of the length in the water.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Outside of white water kayaking short kayaks are pretty much only used because they are cheaper. Will they be good enough if you only plan on using it once in a blue moon, most likely. Just like anything else if you are going to be using it a fair bit you probably want a decent model.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 PM

I am definitely not a hard core kayaker, I have spent some time on lakes years ago with one but never been in the rivers much. Definitely no white water for me, haha, I just want to get out and paddle around. I would like something that has a 'sense of direction' when I am paddling but isn't going to be like trying to turn a canoe. Manueverable and agile yet smooth?

I was thinking a short kayak for ease of handling and hauling. Plus they are cheaper.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
I am definitely not a hard core kayaker, I have spent some time on lakes years ago with one but never been in the rivers much. Definitely no white water for me, haha, I just want to get out and paddle around. I would like something that has a 'sense of direction' when I am paddling but isn't going to be like trying to turn a canoe. Manueverable and agile yet smooth?

I was thinking a short kayak for ease of handling and hauling. Plus they are cheaper.
The 'general' rule of thumb; "The longer and thinner a watercraft is, the more efficient (easier) it is at moving through the water." The compromise comes with reduced maneuverability with increased length.

Modified hull designs (chine/rocker/etc.) can somewhat make up for the the reduced maneuverability of longer watercraft, but that usually involves much more expensive kayaks.

Bottom line ... a short, inexpensive kayak will give you everything you want, except; "efficient movement through the water, and a smooth sense of direction". Be prepared to do a 'lot' of hard paddling, to cover any meaningful distance.

TF

Last edited by Selkirk; 05-11-2013 at 12:00 AM.