Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default Pierre Greys Lakes Weekend

Im going up tomorrow to spend time with family... any tips would be greatly appreciated for camping and fishing. Ill post some pics when I get back...

Thnx
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM

I've been going there for years, couple or few times every year. I prefer camping on Delorme Loop. Bring as much wood as you can, like most parks wood is sold for a premium. They used to give it away there but not any more. Fishing is hit and miss for rainbows and brookies........try all the lakes just for the variety.

No gas motors on the lakes...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info...
Could you be a little more specific on fishing?
If not...
Cant blame you for not wanting to give away too many details...

Last edited by drhu22; 06-05-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM

I was up there last year and what a beautiful place to spend a weekend! I spent early mornings catching eager rainbows in the shallows around the main lakes island. It has a massive ospreys nest on the west end(those birds are amazing fishermen!) The other lake across the road (northeast) proffered many little brookies to almost anything i threw at them! As for tips I used drys stims and caddis and when it warmed up and the fish went down spinners and leech patterns. My dad fished mainly from shore on the west lake and landed a 4 lbs bow. Looking forward to your pics and report, as I was planning a trip there later this year. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystev View Post
I was up there last year and what a beautiful place to spend a weekend! I spent early mornings catching eager rainbows in the shallows around the main lakes island. It has a massive ospreys nest on the west end(those birds are amazing fishermen!) The other lake across the road (northeast) proffered many little brookies to almost anything i threw at them! As for tips I used drys stims and caddis and when it warmed up and the fish went down spinners and leech patterns. My dad fished mainly from shore on the west lake and landed a 4 lbs bow. Looking forward to your pics and report, as I was planning a trip there later this year. Good luck.
That was generous... thank you very much!
My homies like photograghy... Ill try to reward you well.
I can tell you love those lakes.

Check pms a bit later

Last edited by drhu22; 06-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM

X 2 on delorme loop. i like the sites close to the access for the east lake.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Thanks for the info...
Could you be a little more specific on fishing?
If not...
Cant blame you for not wanting to give away too many details...
I'm mostly an ultralight spin fisher and almost exclusively use Blue Fox silver in 0 or 1 for trout. I don't use bait very often. Fly fishing works good there of course. Trolling with a streamer or woolly bugger...

All the lakes can produce.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Use to camp there alot when my boys were young...my son is 31 now fishing was unreal every lake produced great...............and all the creeks had fish in them.

I fished it 5 years ago and they have overstocked it and i caught was small fish......spoiled good memries from the past...........beautifull area though
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM

I fished there a few years ago, I was interested in the brookies only, at the far end of the lake,that is from the road,I was using a sinking line,and the fly was a black nosed dace,I would let it sink to the bottom and start jerking it back , good luck
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Planning on going there soon let us know how you made out.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Fished it lots as a kid. Ford fenders and willow leafs. 14" lead to a worm. Silver when sunny and gold when over cast. Good luck. Bring lotsa wood!!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Fish the first lake if you have a boat that can be carried down the hill to launch. The first lake is being somewhat managed as a quality fishery with a bait ban and size/catch restrictions. Brookies and bulls can also be found in all of the lakes. The brook trout lake also contains some Browns that were stoked two years ago. Dragging a basic black leach pattern will get you into fish in all of the lakes.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM

How's the fishing up there?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Nothing huge, but the fishing is pretty steady at PG lakes.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Banned

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone, however it looks like i wont make it now.
Ill ask my brother how they made out and let you know...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
Fish the first lake if you have a boat that can be carried down the hill to launch. The first lake is being somewhat managed as a quality fishery with a bait ban and size/catch restrictions. Brookies and bulls can also be found in all of the lakes. The brook trout lake also contains some Browns that were stoked two years ago. Dragging a basic black leach pattern will get you into fish in all of the lakes.
Have you seen or heard of any bull trout in there in the last while? haven't been for a few years just fished the middle lake but wanted to try the upper.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 PM

I hook into the occassional small bull while dragging around leach patterns. I have heard that there are a few larger individuals (~24 inch). I never really fished that lake for bulls with the rationale that I have never seen bulls follow a hooked rainbow to the boat like they do in rivers. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some big rapalas or spoons (streamers if flyfishing) for an hour or so.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Have you seen or heard of any bull trout in there in the last while? haven't been for a few years just fished the middle lake but wanted to try the upper.
PG Lakes is great. I got a 26" bull trout in the upper small trophy regs lake 2 years ago out of the blue. Right where the stream comes in. He had plenty of character with a big scar across his snout. Leeches, muddler minnows, and green nymph patterns worked well for me. There's a great big Ospreys nest at the end of the spit in the brookie lake. I've also winter camped there, but the ice fishing wasn't so good. The only downside is the firewood is no longer free.