Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
How is hunting alone unsafe? You stand the same chance of an accident with or without someone along.Probably even less chance to be perfectly honest. Given the number of times I have had someone invited along with us on hunts who understands nothing about muzzle control the last thing I am going to do is call names on a list for someone to hunt with! Personally I like my solo hunts and I just tell my wife where I'll be. Should I not show up at home when she expects me she has a starting point to send someone looking. ....heck you can get killed or hurt on any given day doing any number of activities. I don't need my hand held to live my life....
Yup, your biggest risk of injury is driving there.
Statically bears are so low on the hazard scale that to be concerned with them should be considered a unrealistic fear or otherwise known as phobia.
Ive had many bears snooping around camp in the dark but never an actual threat to my well being.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The way I look at it, nothing in life is safe and hunting by yourself is probably still one of the safest things you can do, if you do it properly. Gotta be safer than mountain climbing. I don't mind hunting with a buddy on occasion, but like Greta Garbo, sometimes I just want to be alone. I always leave a time when I'll be back and exactly where I'll be going. In the event of my getting eaten by a bear, I tell my wife Turnaround is Fair Play.
Grizz
I’m newby on the forum. I just read this and I see the post is a bit old but I u derstand this I hunt and I trapped as a junior partner in K country for 8 years on a line. I think it’s safe if you are prepared. For emergencies and a good flight plan left at home for anyone to follow. You also can’t go beyond where your quad or sled breaks down and you have to walk back. So distance and have a stabber knife on your front belt and a good small rifle. I still carry a new Henry colt .44 rifle on top of my regular rifle hunting and I still go 4-5 days on my own hunting ,,,just got back from northern Alberta ….11am cell phone call everyday to home helps
Old 10-28-2021, 07:36 AM

Default Hunting 404, mule and whitetail buck

I usually hunt with my son, but he is swamped at University, and he had no luck on the draw. So I’m mostly hunting on my own. Retired, so prefer midweek hunting.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:09 PM

Default New hunter

I am new to calgary and I am looking to hunt elk in section 357.358.359 looking for partner for weekend hunting also I would say I am green aswell. Only got one deer in Manitoba 5 yrs ago
Old 10-28-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarlust View Post
I am new to calgary and I am looking to hunt elk in section 357.358.359 looking for partner for weekend hunting also I would say I am green aswell. Only got one deer in Manitoba 5 yrs ago
Hello, I have been looing for Elk in 358, 359 for the last couple years. I'm from Edmonton.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2023, 01:01 PM

Great idea! Have all the gear, axe, chainsaw, tent, quad, sled, trailer. Hunt through the seasons but also getting on the sled winter camp (tent) for wolves, I’ve taken 3. Not able to get out this season but hoping to get out for wolves in the new year and will go most anywhere.
Live in Sherwood Park, retired, 61, physically strong and lean centre right lol… Just sayin.
I won’t hit your areas without your presence and expect the same respect in return!
Old 10-09-2023, 12:37 PM

New to hunting in Alberta. Have hunted deer and moose in BC for close to 50 years. Thinking of hunting here now by myself as I don't know anyone here. Live near Holborn hall which is about 20 minutes south of Stony Plain. Someone mentioned 337 and 338 near lodgepole to check it out for deer. I am 71 so I dont get out of the truck and walk miles like I used to. I usually just drive or if I see a good area I'll go sit for 1/2 hour or so. If anyone is headed that way, have any info for that area, or heading to any general deer area and would like company, shoot me a message. Have license and tags. I do not have an atv , just a stock ford 4x4.
I am not much fun as I do not drink, unless at home, do not smoke or use any drugs including pot. I am not trying to steal someone's favorite area, just someone to go with to find the ins and outs of hunting in Alberta with grazing leases etc

Thank you