Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Edson To Nordegg camping

Hey,

Doing a trip with the family to Invermere area in August. I'll be going from Edson down the Robb highway to Nordegg and over to Invermere. I'm leaving after work and as i have a 3 year old and newborn I don't intend on driving very far the first night. Hoping to random camp somewhere about 2 hours from Edson. I have a 23 foot bumper pull. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a spot along that stretch. Prefer not a provincial site. I was looking at google maps and a Blackstone/Chungo/FTR comes up right where the trunk road crosses the Blackstone River. Can you camp there? Can't seem to find much info.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM

I would bet you will have no trouble finding a hole in the woods so to speak like a gravel pit, logging site etc to crash for the night when the time comes. Thats a nice stretch of scenic road. Been a while since i made that route. Have to do it again soon.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Bpoppa, there's camping around there for sure. Depending on how close to the weekend you go will decide if you can find a spot or not. It gets pretty busy, especially around the long weekends.

There's also some camping along Chungo Road if you're a bit further south.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Bpoppa, there's camping around there for sure. Depending on how close to the weekend you go will decide if you can find a spot or not. It gets pretty busy, especially around the long weekends.

There's also some camping along Chungo Road if you're a bit further south.
It will be the long weekend. We leave Edson on August 3rd spend the one night somewhere and then straight to Invermere for the weekend. On the way back we'll make the trip in one shot I think....depending how the kids are doing.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Yup there's lots of camping along there. I've hunted in that area a few times.
Just find a likely looking spot and help yourself/make yourself at home.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:35 AM

There's a real nice spot right on the south side of the Blackstone right off the FTR. Just 5 min North is the Brown Creek Provincial campground. It's run by the forest company so dirt cheap (10 or$11.00) and they supply firewood. Two options for you.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
There's a real nice spot right on the south side of the Blackstone right off the FTR. Just 5 min North is the Brown Creek Provincial campground. It's run by the forest company so dirt cheap (10 or$11.00) and they supply firewood. Two options for you.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM

You have Pembina Forks, Brazeau River and Brown Creek campsites, all fairly basic, $11 per night with free firewood, run by the foothills recreation management association (partnership of West Fraser and other industry members in the area). These sites because of their remoteness are almost empty but are nice sites. Just north of Pembina Forks is Fairfax Lake. Nice spot, but the most popular campground in that area but usually has spots too. You asked for more random spots and there is a gravel pit on the south side of the Brazeau River at the top of the hill on the east side of the road, should be few people there. By Fairfax and between Pembina Forks is a couple spots on the Pembina River to pull into.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
You have Pembina Forks, Brazeau River and Brown Creek campsites, all fairly basic, $11 per night with free firewood, run by the foothills recreation management association (partnership of West Fraser and other industry members in the area). These sites because of their remoteness are almost empty but are nice sites. Just north of Pembina Forks is Fairfax Lake. Nice spot, but the most popular campground in that area but usually has spots too. You asked for more random spots and there is a gravel pit on the south side of the Brazeau River at the top of the hill on the east side of the road, should be few people there. By Fairfax and between Pembina Forks is a couple spots on the Pembina River to pull into.
ABSOLUTELY the best deal at any of the provincial campgrounds in the province. Each one a beautiful spot at $11, wood included, tables and outhouses. Why random camp when you can stay in a beautiful spot for that price?
PS Kind of a different route to haul your trailer from Edson to Invermere. Paved as far as Lovett River. In 2 hours traveling you'll be basically through to Nordegg. Do you plan on crossing over to Saskatchewan River Crossing and down to Lake Louise? If so you need a park pass to travel the Icefield Parkway. If you don't that's a long haul all the way down to the Trans Canada and across to Banff. Have a great trip! GN

http://www.westfraser.com/responsibi...ma/campgrounds
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
ABSOLUTELY the best deal at any of the provincial campgrounds in the province. Each one a beautiful spot at $11, wood included, tables and outhouses. Why random camp when you can stay in a beautiful spot for that price?
PS Kind of a different route to haul your trailer from Edson to Invermere. Paved as far as Lovett River. In 2 hours traveling you'll be basically through to Nordegg. Do you plan on crossing over to Saskatchewan River Crossing and down to Lake Louise? If so you need a park pass to travel the Icefield Parkway. If you don't that's a long haul all the way down to the Trans Canada and across to Banff. Have a great trip! GN

http://www.westfraser.com/responsibi...ma/campgrounds
I've stayed at West Fraser campgrounds before and they are good. I was more implying I didn't want to camp at the provincial campground. And yes we are cutting across to Saskatchewan river crossing and down through Banff. We have a park pass.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:32 AM

Honestly, if you just want to stop for the night, wheel into Brown Creek, furthest south of the FRMA campgrounds and spend the night. There are 8 spots (1 washed away a couple of years ago) and certainly 1 will be available, even then.
It's a beautiful little spot, right on the side of the trunk road, the sites are level and easy to park in, and for $11 with wood??? Pack up in the morning, it's 20 yards back to the trunk road and you're on your way, as opposed to finding a random spot, parking and leveling off just to spend the night. Especially if you start backtracking up the Chungo Road which makes both day's trips even longer.
If you want to settle in for the weekend, there are piles of spots throughout the area. You could pretty much stop wherever you like before you get back to Hwy 11, just pick one when you get tired of driving that's not all ready taken for the weekend.
Just my two cents, enjoy your trip. GN