Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Question Ghost lake Burbot, and lake whitefish

I'm planning to go fishing at ghost and I don't have that much experience fishing there. does anyone know what kind of gear I should be using, and where I should start fishing? I'm mostly targeting lakers and whitefish. Thanks, Chuck.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:48 PM

Some and I mean a lot claim Ghost to be the hardest lake in so Alberta to fish. I along with countless others have spent hours on that lake for little if no return.

I know they target the whites on the far west end where the river comes in and most are fly fisherman. As to lakers they are deep so you need a down rigger or use a 3way. I have caught more browns than anything else and my very best day after maybe 15yrs was 2. All trolling a grey flatfish.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 PM

Ghost is a hard lake to fish, took me about 6years till I could catch fish consistently. the reason it is so hard is that there is a lot of fish to eat and the fish are active while being eaten. Bait has no appeal.

Burbot are out after dark, put a whole herring on a big hook and throw it into the lake from the parking lot and just sit and wait. Ok, not active feeders.

Trout are all over the lake, browns are around the island, cut·throat are in the ghost river and the lakers are in the old reminisce of the river 80ft or more. All are active feeders don't expect to catch a fish with dead bait just sitting there. trolling is the way to go. Through the ice I've had the best luck.

Whitefish I've only seen through the ice, simple red worm fly in less then 20 feet of water.