Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 01:37 AM

Default dixon trout pond

Just a report...i went to dixon on the way 2 work to check on the ice there was 14" with 4 cars/small trucks on it so on it was. I was there 1 hr and caught 1 12"-13"all was good. Probably go again on the weekend
Old 12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
TundraBuck

Fish 50 yards off the wall between it and glennifer anywhere along there youll be on the fish all day.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Dixon

boys, new to Red Deer and would like to take a crack at this spot. I've been to the dam once this summer, and assume you mean the area just below the dam?...but not too sure. Haven't fished for trout for years...and would appreciate direction to help me get back at 'er. thanks.....
Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

The trout pond is nowhere near the dam you have to drive accross the dam take the right at the end on if and then your next left you stay on this road untill you hit the town of dixon about 7 min at the stop sign take a left drive down that road for about 5 min and take the last road on the left

good luck

i went on saturday for about 2 hrs and got my limit

mountainman elkohalic
Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 AM

Default Dickson Trout Pond

We were there january 4th and caught our limit. Fishing anywhere about 50 yards off shore.
power bait orange or marshmellows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishing with Jason 002.jpg (76.9 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Fishing with Jason 003.jpg (108.6 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Fishing with Jason 004.jpg (38.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Fishing with Jason 012.jpg (86.7 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg Fishing with Jason 010.jpg (61.4 KB, 261 views)
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 AM

Default dickson trout pond

You got one nice rainbow Drano. They release a lot of brood stock in the fall season. You should be able to hook a few 5 pounders and the rare 10 pounder. I caught 6 pounder last fall with a big kipe that was rubbed raw but it was still a cool fish. They were cruising the shore line a little further down from where you were fishing. I fished the middle of the pond and did not do as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 AM

When is the best time to fish there during ice fishing season, dec, jan, feb, march? Or does it matter, we went there the summer before last and caught a nice 4 pounder on pink power bait.

Mitch
Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
You got one nice rainbow Drano. They release a lot of brood stock in the fall season. You should be able to hook a few 5 pounders and the rare 10 pounder. I caught 6 pounder last fall with a big kipe that was rubbed raw but it was still a cool fish. They were cruising the shore line a little further down from where you were fishing. I fished the middle of the pond and did not do as well.
Hey caddisman we saw them crusising in tight as well. What did you get yours on? I hooked one on a catatonic leech but we could not get any others to take.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Default very good

that is a nice brown truot i never fished dixon pond is that over by rimbey west of the road into the creek
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Wilbur........I think thats a rainbow man.!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Nope . Nowhere near Rimbey. Dixon ponds are about 5 min. south of the town of Dixon, wich is on the north side of Glenifer about halfway down the lake. I also did vwry well there this year and last. Nice fish Drano, not a brood stock, to rich of colour,and the fins aren't broomed off. nice colour this time of year. And I agree not a brown

Last edited by wrenchmonkey; 01-10-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Is the ice fishing good there going into feb and late jan?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Last year it was fgood right till you could no longer get on the ice.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Default Thanks Guys.

Yes it is a rainbow.
I fish there all summer and we have luck catching 12" to 14" rainbows.
We have a trailer at carefree resort and it is so close to the pond.
According to the game warden they usually stock the pond with about 50,00 trout in early spring.
In the fall we did see lots of larger trout swimming by real close to shore but I believe they were spawing.
One guy caught a 9.1/2 lbder. I saw him a couple days later and he said that the fish was not very good eating mushy, thats why I am pretty sure they were spawners.
I was there a few weeks ago and was taking a fish off one of my lines when my other got a bite, I went to walk over to the other rod (brand new) and down the hole it went.
Never had a chance to get it, I would have liked to see the fish.
I also had another good size one on the day I caught the one in the picture but the line broke on the way up the hole.

I am going there on saturday the 11th.
Black dodge mini van,drop by if you're there.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 AM

Hi,

Any thing larger than 16" in Dixon are "retired" brood stock that have been feed pellets their whole lives. It's possible to eat one. Just need a gun. You hold it on me while I take a bite. I'll do the same for you.

Don
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
TundraBuck

Yeah, wrenchmonkey that is a brood stock look at the tail. Most mature trout have vibrant colours like that. I have caught a few 16 inchers in there and quite a few brood stocks as well, but nothing that wasn't a brood over 16 inches, although I'm sure the odd one is in there. I read somewhere that guys have been catching the odd burbot and pike in there too.

I also heard a good recipe for brood stock. Fillet the fish, put the fillets on the board, season them however you like, cook for the desired period of time, remove from oven, and eat the board.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Tundra..

Another thing to use them for is changing the oil in your truck. Lay the grease ball [brood stock] on a board - whale on it with rolling pin till mushy and squeeze the oil out. Each fish is about a liter. Non-synthetic!!

Don
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
TundraBuck

Hahaha!!! Man I hate those things... And I can't believe they put that guy in the regs for angler of the year for catching one out of Twin. It is almost comparable to going to an elk farm and shooting an elk.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Tundra..

And for two of the last 3 years, some poor misguided pilgrim is holding one of these greaseballs up as the rainbow of the year.
Gives you an idea of how far the fishing has fallen in this province.

catch ya'

Don
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
TundraBuck

Yes, that is too bad. So many lakes have the potential to boast "real" trophy trout, but the regulations do not allow for it. I can list 3 lakes off the top of my head that have special regs and limited stocking numbers, and it shows. Swan Lake, Bullshead Reservoir, and Beaver Lake are all trophy trout waters and the trout are consistently getting to be trophy size.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
jrs

"In the fall we did see lots of larger trout swimming by real close to shore but I believe they were spawing."

Rainbows can't spawn in lakes and they also spawn in spring, not fall. The mushy fish are the brooders. I had the unfortunate opportunity to cook up a gill hooked one once, not great.

Just for those that haven't been to Dixon, if you're not into crowds steer away. I was lead there by a guy on the Red Deer River this fall telling me it was a great trout spot with limited use. Well, there were more than 50 people crowded around it when i stopped by. I didn't fish, i don't mind a few people around but it looks like it can get nuts pretty often. I'm pretty sure the guy just wanted the rising brown run to himself for the entire afternoon, tricked me (i was back to the initial spot within an hour and he was still around). I'm just mentioning this so guys don't get the wrong impression, if i get skunked elsewhere i still may try it just to say i got something, but now i know what to expect.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Default dickson rainbows

why was that rainbow such a deep rich colour? I haven't caught any like that.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Hahaha!!! Man I hate those things... And I can't believe they put that guy in the regs for angler of the year for catching one out of Twin. It is almost comparable to going to an elk farm and shooting an elk.
haha yah the year before that was outa phyllis!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM
TundraBuck

Your right I remember that brett.

thefishguy, most mature trout have good colors like that, thats just part of it. most trout people catch (8 - 14 inches) don't have much color, even bigger then that, it depends on the age, the lake, etc. but I usually don't start to see colour until AT LEAST 15 inches and even then 90% of those fish dont have much color.

jrs, yep it does get real crowded. But it is the put and take lake for central alberta,just as chain lakes is for calgary. I've been out there on days when there are over 200 people chucking bait, you can see chunks of powerbait floating around on the surface that have fallen off guys hooks, and the trout will come up to the surface and eat it!!!
The unfortunate thing, I have seen a lot of asian fishermen out there. There is a group of 4 or so fellows that do go out there and kill at least 50 trout every time they go (I haven't seen them in the winter yet, just summer) and I have mentioned to them before that the limit is 5, and they either just ignore me, or play the "We don't know any english" card. Next time I see them, I definitely will get a license plate.

I have one very good memory from dickson pond, it was 2 years ago, my son and I and my wife were camped out there, it was the weekend before May Long and we were the only people camped there. My son and I fish out of pontoons, flyfishing usually. We were putting our boats in and there was a guy standing on the shore having a smoke and feeding us this "yeah flyfishing doesn't work here ive tried it lots before and never caught a fish" you could tell he was full of bs right away he did not look like the kind of guy that knew how to flyfish, too preoccupied. Anyways, then he was giving my son a hard time, saying he should use hardware, and my son just sat there and took it. We had just pushed off, and we were not 25 yards out and he hooked and landed a 16 inch rainbow, and it wasnt a brood stock! Well, he just held that thing up in the air and was very happy, he just said "I thought flyfishing doesn't work here?!"

That day put a smile on my face. Oh I forgot to say, when we were putting in he had told us that he had caught 7 or 8 trout that were all 3 or 4 pounds and he had put them all back already, they weren't big enough. Well, lo and behold, when we came off the lake it was pitch black, and guess who was still standing there? Mr. idiot. He hadn't kept a single fish, he had told us that he'd caught and released 200 fish; but the thing of it is, I watched him a lot and I never once saw him make any movements as far as catching fish. Lesson learned here, don't believe everything a guy says, especially at dickson.

The most common sound there is the sound of a spinrod being casted 75 yards off shore and then a BLOP a huge sinker and a chunk of powerbait the size of my head. I do not fish there often anymore, used to when I had jobs around Spruce View and Caroline.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 PM

Default dickson pond

You know stellhead, or at least steelhead I have seen never get that colour either. But yet steelhead are large rainbow trout that leave lakes and river systems and even some times reach the ocean only to return to the same place they were born to spawn.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 AM
TundraBuck

Yes, like I said it depends on the lake, stream, etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Question

hi guys just wanting to know what baits are good at dickson trout pond.this weekend i am heading out anyone else?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Yes, that is too bad. So many lakes have the potential to boast "real" trophy trout, but the regulations do not allow for it. I can list 3 lakes off the top of my head that have special regs and limited stocking numbers, and it shows. Swan Lake, Bullshead Reservoir, and Beaver Lake are all trophy trout waters and the trout are consistently getting to be trophy size.
Ummmm... if we're talking about the Swan Lake by Valleyview, then I think you have to take that one off the list of special regs. No special regs there, and it is beginning to show. Lots of fish in two age classes, but the big boys have all but disappeared...well, bonked actually.

And if we're splitting hairs already, Beaver does have special regs but I would say that they're more like mediocre regs and unlimited stock numbers. Test netting this year showed no fish over 24"...not very special. Better take that one off the list also. Never have fished Bullshead so can't comment, so I guess you can keep that one on your list.

We really need better regs.

Sorry for the hijack.

Cheers.