Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
IF the Olympics are such a great revenue source WHY is Nenshe and his merry band of city counselors so afraid to share the good news with Albertian's ??
It is truly amazing how these narcissists in "power" will spare no expense of the taxpayer to leave a legacy. It is all too common nowadays. The list of examples is long. Bison in Banff is one of the cheaper ones.

As I said before, have a vote. All those that vote yay absorb the tax increases. Bet that would change a few minds
Old 10-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Province to only kick in 700 mil, absolutely no coverage of overruns, should make the Calgary taxpayers pucker a little........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Province to only kick in 700 mil, absolutely no coverage of overruns, should make the Calgary taxpayers pucker a little........
When you think about it;
We all pay federal, provincial and civic taxes.

For the Olympics; people outside of Alberta only have to pay once in the form of taxes, as the federal Liberals will pop for some $$$ that we pay taxes for.

Albertian's have to pay twice as the NDP will pop for $700M (we pay federal and provincial taxes).

People in Calgary will pay 3 times (federally, provincially and civically): no matter how you slice it, Calgary tax payers are getting financially screwed ....

There is no good time for the Olympics here.....As previous threads indicated, there is a reason no one else in the world wants to go deep in debt, especially in these times....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 AM

November's vote is non-binding as posted on the city's website. They've produced tv ads promoting the games. Brace yourselves tax payers.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
IF the Olympics are such a great revenue source WHY is Nenshe and his merry band of city counselors so afraid to share the good news with Albertian's ??
Because it has stink all over it....I don't trust any of those politicians.

As I previously quoted a saying:

"The people who cast the votes don't decide an outcome, the people who count the votes do....."

Buckle up for some bad $$$ news and even harder $$$$ times ahead..

Old 10-13-2018, 09:38 AM

I find it quite telling about Calgary’s city council and their elevated opinions of themselves that they’re going to the trouble and public expense of holding a plebiscite on the matter, hiring workers for the vote and then putting in a disclaimer that the vote results are not binding?! Essentially by doing so they are stating “If Calgary's taxpaying citizens vote for the decision that we’ve already made we’ll go ahead with it with the directive of majority public support. If the public votes against what we’ve already decided then we’re still going to do it anyways. Screw you voting public minions, we’re in charge, MUHAHAHAHA!”

There are a couple of councillors who try to do things sensibly, but sadly they are steamrolled by the rest.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-13-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:51 AM

Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
A picture says a thousand words..... Best ever, Big Sky!!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
If someone can get these as a bumper sticker i'll take 5!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Does the complete opposite. I'm glad they aren't issuing a blank cheque.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Banned

Who wouldn't want athletes like this performing against their "peers" in Calgary on the international stage?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=292s&v=P-Emy1b7oiM
Old 10-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Banned

I for one want these Olympics. What they did for Calgary last time around was outstanding. We need some new facility so why not have every level of Gov pitch in and try to make this happen?

You guys who talk about how things were in the 80's around here make no sense.
Just after we were granted the 88 Olympics we went into a massive tail spin here in Calgary and in Alberta. Those times were the worst we have ever seen here. It was the Olympics that actually helped pull us out of it. It helped on not only a financial level but gave everyone here a massive boost in confidence in our city and province.

I see so many good things by us doing this.
However, I believe the IOC wants us more than they want anyone else and we could very well be in a position to cut a even better deal with the IOC.

We can do this and we SHOULD do this.

Jamie
Old 10-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I for one want these Olympics. What they did for Calgary last time around was outstanding. We need some new facility so why not have every level of Gov pitch in and try to make this happen?

You guys who talk about how things were in the 80's around here make no sense.
Just after we were granted the 88 Olympics we went into a massive tail spin here in Calgary and in Alberta. Those times were the worst we have ever seen here. It was the Olympics that actually helped pull us out of it. It helped on not only a financial level but gave everyone here a massive boost in confidence in our city and province.

I see so many good things by us doing this.
However, I believe the IOC wants us more than they want anyone else and we could very well be in a position to cut a even better deal with the IOC.

We can do this and we SHOULD do this.

Jamie
Actually it was 1986 when things went into a tailspin and oil was less than $10/bbl. By 1988 things were picking up.

Please give some concrete details on what outstanding things they did for Calgary.It's hard to put a price tag on warm fuzzy's.

What new facilities do we actually need? You realize you're not getting a new arena for that price tag?

I've lived in Calgary for over 50 years so I know of what I say. 1988 was great, lots of fun but it's a different world now and a very hefty price tag when all 3 levels of government are carrying massive debts.

No Thanks!
Old 10-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Actually it was 1986 when things went into a tailspin and oil was less than $10/bbl. By 1988 things were picking up.

Please give some concrete details on what outstanding things they did for Calgary.It's hard to put a price tag on warm fuzzy's.

What new facilities do we actually need? You realize you're not getting a new arena for that price tag?

I've lived in Calgary for over 50 years so I know of what I say. 1988 was great, lots of fun but it's a different world now and a very hefty price tag when all 3 levels of government are carrying massive debts.

No Thanks!
Sorry, I had typed out a long rebuttal but apparently forgot to hit enter!!!
I will reply later. Know this though.. Our recession started in 82 and we fell off a cliff. You should know that with you being here so long. As well, I am not sure what you do or did for a living but if you don't think the Olympic run up and the Olympic hangover raised spirits around here and gave confidence to a hurting corporate base than I am not sure you were paying attention.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:48 PM

The one thing I’d look long and hard into is the cost vs return the past few Olympic cities have had. Yes they will bring in a lot and I mean ALOT of money and tourists etc... however long term how does that work out? Just look at all the abandoned and decaying buildings left after Rio & Sochi etc... almost seems like olympics are an institution of the past.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Banned

The Olympics are a farce. My taxes and Jamaican bobsled team?
It's just another avenue to funnel taxpayers money to politicians and their cronies.
Look at the $375mm Royal Alberta Museum for a quick example.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
The one thing I’d look long and hard into is the cost vs return the past few Olympic cities have had. Yes they will bring in a lot and I mean ALOT of money and tourists etc... however long term how does that work out? Just look at all the abandoned and decaying buildings left after Rio & Sochi etc... almost seems like olympics are an institution of the past.
Rio and Sochi are pretty different places than Calgary. Sochi was probably 3-5 times as corrupt as the Montreal Olympics were in terms of construction contracts, kickbacks, bribes and unfinished facilities. Rio might be similarly corrupt. I'm sure there would be corruption here as well, though not quite of the biblical scale of the Russian games. I'd be on board with them if we had different politicians at the helm, ones that know what budgets are and that they're not rough targets to overshoot at will. One could only imagine the 'public art' the tasteless lunatics would select for the facilities, perhaps something suitable would be a sculpture representing a colossal pile of the publics cash and sculptures of each of the city councillors playing in it whimsically as though it were fall leaves. The frugal minority among the councillors might be standing at the perimeter frowning with their arms crossed, or be depicted trying to catch & retain some of the taxpayers cash for the publics benefit.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I had typed out a long rebuttal but apparently forgot to hit enter!!!
I will reply later. Know this though.. Our recession started in 82 and we fell off a cliff. You should know that with you being here so long. As well, I am not sure what you do or did for a living but if you don't think the Olympic run up and the Olympic hangover raised spirits around here and gave confidence to a hurting corporate base than I am not sure you were paying attention.
That's right NEP in 1982 and oil bottomed at $10 in 1986. Olympics helped none of that.

So how much do you pay for "raised spirits and confidence" where you come from?

Anything to add that's concrete and talks dollars and cents or do you just want to wave your pom poms some more?
Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 PM

I know I'm against the grain on this one , but I'm for the Olympics !! Maybe the FEDS will finally spend some cash out west on they're ugly cousins . The tourism and facilities that are part of the legacy of these events are great for a city. look at what the Canada Olympic Park area has turned into , great venue for kids year round , training facility for I believe 4 national teams!!! go Calgary go !!!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's right NEP in 1982 and oil bottomed at $10 in 1986. Olympics helped none of that.

So how much do you pay for "raised spirits and confidence" where you come from?

Anything to add that's concrete and talks dollars and cents or do you just want to wave your pom poms some more?
Your kidding right? For someone who says they have been here for 50 years, you sure didn't learn much.
This town's life blood is based on hope, based on gamblers, based on a dream. Confidence and a bright outlook is paramount to how things go around here. When we think we can do something, we can do anything.

Ok, you want hard numbers, I will share this. The summer after the Olympics set multiple huge records at the stampede for attendance. People saw what we could offer the world and they showed up in droves. Those records stood for 20 years. Only recently have they been beat.

Within one year of the Olympics, House prices in Calgary grew by almost 1/3.

I can't seem to get a number on the effect it had in Canmore but read this

Canmore's economic future seemed dismal until the announcement in the early 1980s that Calgary would be hosting the 1988 Winter Olympics, and that Canmore would play host to the Nordic events. This resulted in an increase in tourism, and Canmore began to develop into the recreational tourist destination it is today."

Take a read on this as wellhttp://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/1988+Olympics+transformed+Calgary/7932680/story.html

If your looking for guarantees, your not going to find them. But this is a risk well worth taking. This is Calgary, we can do ANYTHING.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your kidding right? For someone who says they have been here for 50 years, you sure didn't learn much.
This town's life blood is based on hope, based on gamblers, based on a dream. Confidence and a bright outlook is paramount to how things go around here. When we think we can do something, we can do anything.

Ok, you want hard numbers, I will share this. The summer after the Olympics set multiple huge records at the stampede for attendance. People saw what we could offer the world and they showed up in droves. Those records stood for 20 years. Only recently have they been beat.

Within one year of the Olympics, House prices in Calgary grew by almost 1/3.

I can't seem to get a number on the effect it had in Canmore but read this

Canmore's economic future seemed dismal until the announcement in the early 1980s that Calgary would be hosting the 1988 Winter Olympics, and that Canmore would play host to the Nordic events. This resulted in an increase in tourism, and Canmore began to develop into the recreational tourist destination it is today."

Take a read on this as wellhttp://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/1988+Olympics+transformed+Calgary/7932680/story.html

If your looking for guarantees, your not going to find them. But this is a risk well worth taking. This is Calgary, we can do ANYTHING.
Again nothing but pom pom waving. Show the data or better yet since you said this:"This is Calgary, we can do ANYTHING" why don't you just come clean and admit you're Mayor Spendshe trolling this site.

Housing prices rose by 33% in one year in Calgary, really, got the data? And it was because everyone had so much fun at the Olympics too I bet so they decided to move here right?

If you think you know so much about Calgary in the 1980's you should be smart enough to know Calgary's economy went how the oil price went back then. 30 years in the oil industry starting in 1985 here, yourself? Or were you even out of short pants back then or perhaps not even alive and you're just speaking from what you read?

Of course then you'd probably claim the 1988 Olympics had a positive effect on the world oil price back then also.

Take off the rose colored glasses and spend some time in reality.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:05 PM

It wasn't a big deal for me. The following year, Flames won the cup. That was awesome.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again nothing but pom pom waving. Show the data or better yet since you said this:"This is Calgary, we can do ANYTHING" why don't you just come clean and admit you're Mayor Spendshe trolling this site.

Housing prices rose by 33% in one year in Calgary, really, got the data? And it was because everyone had so much fun at the Olympics too I bet so they decided to move here right?

If you think you know so much about Calgary in the 1980's you should be smart enough to know Calgary's economy went how the oil price went back then. 30 years in the oil industry starting in 1985 here, yourself? Or were you even out of short pants back then or perhaps not even alive and you're just speaking from what you read?

Of course then you'd probably claim the 1988 Olympics had a positive effect on the world oil price back then also.

Take off the rose colored glasses and spend some time in reality.
Far from being Mayor Spendshe.

Take a look at 88-90.. See the jump?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...39566543610555

Born and raised here. Old enough in 1980 to know what was going on and with a basic understanding of why. Your level of negativity makes me think your one of those old goats who thinks they know everything and that nothing is good in this world. Probably spend half your time screaming at kids to get off your lawn and the other 1/2 complaining about how kids of today have no respect, work ethic. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

My support for the Olympics is not based on "FUN" its based on what it will do for our community. If you are so negative you can't remember how it effected this city on so many levels I can't help you.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Sad to read

Born and raised here. Old enough in 1980 to know what was going on and with a basic understanding of why. Your level of negativity makes me think your one of those old goats who thinks they know everything and that nothing is good in this world. Probably spend half your time screaming at kids to get off your lawn and the other 1/2 complaining about how kids of today have no respect, work ethic. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Typical Fashion on Alberta outdoorsmen don't like something start bashing it it's his opinion don't like it tough still has opinion.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Does the complete opposite. I'm glad they aren't issuing a blank cheque.
My point is the Calgary taxpayer will be on the hook for more upfront as well as the inevitable cost overruns. That should make a Calgary home or business owner very very nervous

Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 PM

Jamie you're missing the likelihood of it costing 8 figures more than it returns. You're forgetting nat gas went on a tear after '88, nothing, repeat nothing to do with Olympics.

You're missing the probability of higher home & corporate taxes, after you're buddy Nenshi walks the plank. You're forgetting the guy who was elected mayor before & after '88 was very fiscally prudent, who then ran the province likewise.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jamie you're missing the likelihood of it costing 8 figures more than it returns. You're forgetting nat gas went on a tear after '88, nothing, repeat nothing to do with Olympics.

You're missing the probability of higher home & corporate taxes, after you're buddy Nenshi walks the plank. You're forgetting the guy who was elected mayor before & after '88 was very fiscally prudent, who then ran the province likewise.
OMG.. I am so much not a Nenshi fan. I think the dude is a clown and just hope and pray we get a new Mayor before the world comes a calling. Just because we both support the same cause doesn't put me in as a Nenshi fan. I think I like Farcas way more.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post

Typical Fashion on Alberta outdoorsmen don't like something start bashing it it's his opinion don't like it tough still has opinion.
Its not his opinion I have a issue with.. Its the attitude...
Old 10-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Far from being Mayor Spendshe.

Take a look at 88-90.. See the jump?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...39566543610555

My support for the Olympics is not based on "FUN" its based on what it will do for our community. If you are so negative you can't remember how it effected this city on so many levels I can't help you.
Care to show me the 1 year 33% price increase that was sustained the following year? Then, when you're done that care to explain how that had absolutely anything to do with the Olympics. Again back it up with facts.

You know what facts are don't you? They are those pesky things that you can't provide to support your assertions. The real facts have a nasty habit of getting in the way of the fairy tale you're trying to weave here.

Of course when you can't back it up, resort to name calling, that's the mature adult thing to do.

We are talking billions of dollars here and that's a big boys game. When you get a pair of big boy pants and can provide pertinent factual data feel free to rejoin the conversation.

Again all 3 levels of government are carrying large debts and we could be entering a higher interest cycle. This bid can't be afforded now and shouldn't be supported with touchy feely arm waving and no concrete evidence of benefits that outweigh the costs by a large margin.

Of course debit and deficit may not bother you because you may be one of those folks who've got your Mastercard, Amex and Visa cards maxed out and think you've got it made in the shade because you can nearly make the minimum payments every month while you play with all the toys you bought.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its not his opinion I have a issue with.. Its the attitude...
Recognition of reality and requiring factual information is not an attitude, it's real life.