Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Trail cam gone

Well i have been putting cameras out for a few years now and finally had one go missing from 346.
I have never seen anyone in that spot but i had some really good bucks on camera i bet i see someone in there in the rut.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:03 PM

That sucks. I had 3 out this year and thought that 2 of them had gotten stolen. Turns out that bears had knocked them off of the trees they were on. Found them about 20 feet away both times
Old 10-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

It might just be somewhere around. Check and check again
Old 10-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Was it on your own land? If so then it sucks.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 AM

Had my first one stolen this year too, in 359. Place is a circus during rifle season but used to be ok for archery, this year even archery season was seeing lots of traffic. Unfortunate that this is something you have to worry about, but that's the way it is now I guess.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Nowadays, you have to put a game camera out watching your game camera to see who steals it.
IMO, thieves caught, should have a finger cut off for every offence they commit.

Same but different for sex offenders.

Let the victim do the chopping if they desire.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:05 AM

I have had bears try to take them away, the locked cable prevented them walking off with it, but it was on the bottom of the tree buried in the long grass when I found it. I thought someone stole it as well until I noticed part sticking out of the grass.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Well i have been putting cameras out for a few years now and finally had one go missing from 346.

I have never seen anyone in that spot but i had some really good bucks on camera i bet i see someone in there in the rut.

North and east of Edson there is a lady that travels around on all the cut lines. We’ve seen her close to Edson all the way up by Tom hill tower. She has probably stolen about 5 of our cameras. Always horse tracks where our cameras were stolen. Our record is my bro in law set one in the morning. Later that day he took me to it incase I had to pull the card. It was already gone lol. Not a single vehicle track or foot print except for horse tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 PM

There was one found on alberta hunting addicts on the Facebook. He has it posted. I found someone’s trail cam.
It’s on a fallen tree, that has been down for a couple weeks.
Anyone know of a good way to get it back to the owner?

I was going to take it and see if the manufacturer has any kind of owner info...

His name is Patrick Korman
Old 10-14-2018, 12:39 PM

That's what they make steel lock boxes + python lock cables for .
Cheap insurance .
The hard core dick head thieves - so called hunters will still steal them but it will deture a hell of a lot of them .
Old 10-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Not wanting to cause an explosion on A.O but some people feel that using trail cameras for hunting in not what an ethical hunter would do. Everyone has their own idea myself I just leave others cameras or tree stands alone.. I am the type of hunter who likes to walk miles while I still can just because I like being out there.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/ne...g-controversy/
Old 10-14-2018, 01:22 PM

That sucks. I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t use cams for that main reason, but people need to keep their mitts off other people’s property.

I friggin HATE thieves! We had two guys come into our camp when we were out for elk a few years ago. They showed up mid morning, figuring (correctly) we’d be out walking the hills. What they hadn’t figured on was my brother-in-Law, a LEO, had stayed in camp because he’d injured his knee the day before.

He caught them trying to break into one of the trucks. Since he had a couple of weapons at his disposal, he pulled them away from the truck, proved them out and called us on the radio. We went back & helped keep them “entertained “ while a buddy drove out to call the Police. B-I-L wound up in a bit of **** with his department for “intervening in a crime involving weapons while off duty. He also had to go to court, those two both had extensive records for drug and petty theft complaints, each pulled one year in jail. Their vehicle was located, full of other hunters camp gear, cameras, clothing"
Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 PM

I usually have my cams pulled by now but nait has had me busy I like them out in the summer to see what’s around. It’s neat to watch the animals grow up.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 AM

Well, that sucks Bezzola!

I’ve got a few out in one area that I’m thinking of pulling tomorrow. Each year I go in expecting they will be gone.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:46 PM

Lost one just of the end of my deck, just tacking pictures of the activities in the back yard. Last time I looked a number for sale on kjiji.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM

I lost one in saddle hills this year. My private spot was overrun with hunters this year.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:26 PM

Had one stolen out of my backyard in NW Calgary!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I have found that camera mounting straps are the number one cause of camera theft and camera damage.

Almost any option that replaces those straps will greatly reduce theft and damage.

If you think about it, those straps really look out of place, and they can be seen for a long ways, from any direction.

Lock boxes are better but suffer many of the same issues with regards to looking out of place as the straps do.

I've done considerable testing with mounting options, location selection and concealment options.

My recommendations are;

Forget about lock boxes except where camera discovery is almost guaranteed. There are better options in most places.

Think about where animals and people will most likely be looking while traveling where you want to place a camera, then try to place your camera where they are not likely to look, like above or below field of vision or twenty or more feet to one side of a trail or travel corridor.

Next, try to place the camera so that it appears to be nothing more then a growth on the chosen tree. Or perhaps a pile of forest debris at the base of a tree or stump.

Remember, if they don't see it, they won't steal it or chew on it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-15-2018, 09:45 PM

The day some invents a fake camera that sprays pepper spray, snaps a trap onto a thieves hands or has a GPS beacon on it so you can go find the thief and beat the snot out of him - these thing are going to get stolen.

Too many dirt bags out there and criminal justice system that is weak.

Sorry ..... bit of a rant .... I hate getting things jacked by dirt bags
Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The day some invents a fake camera that sprays pepper spray, snaps a trap onto a thieves hands or has a GPS beacon on it so you can go find the thief and beat the snot out of him - these thing are going to get stolen.

Too many dirt bags out there and criminal justice system that is weak.

Sorry ..... bit of a rant .... I hate getting things jacked by dirt bags
Some of them do have GPS trackers in them. I do however like the pepper spray approach! I had some degenerate smash a cellular trail camera into 1000 pieces this year on private properly. People suck.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM

After having my cameras on our own private land only i decided to put one on crown land for the first time not too long ago, i thought it was fairly well hidden. I went back a few weeks later when i was in the area to check and the camera was still there so i was happy until i opened it up and someone had taken my memory card.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Yep been putting out cameras for over 10 years had a dozen out this year lost my second one in 10 years though kind of knew I shouldn't put it there but I did. The only one that would have taken it there would have been a hunter are a thief I guess you could call him

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk