Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Default red dee river

anyone planning on hitting the red deer river anytime soon?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 PM

Not trying to be a smartass but..... which part? It's long
Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Cool

closed below the dam. open but not very fishable yet at sundre. maybe further up stream on the flats is more open will post when I know more. very hard work finding fish at this time of year. sundre to dickson gets over fished due to road access. improves as you go up stream from sundre.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canamdon View Post
Not trying to be a smartass but..... which part? It's long
ya i guess i could have been more specific. Around the sundre area was where i was thinking.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
closed below the dam. open but not very fishable yet at sundre. maybe further up stream on the flats is more open will post when I know more. very hard work finding fish at this time of year. sundre to dickson gets over fished due to road access. improves as you go up stream from sundre.
thank you sir
Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish on! View Post
thank you sir
no prob, good bulls to be had at the rock cut 20 odd k up stream from sundre. whites thru out in the fall. be aware it is a flood plain river in the spring. it can rise feet in a short period of time with rains many miles away. know the weather out west before getting to far off the beatn path.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 PM

Actually going down there sometime next couple weeks.
I've fished that River from the Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch all the way down to Coal Camp for forty years.
Took that many to figure the river's secrets!
Seems to be best from Trunk Road East. Alot of excellent holes BUT you've got to work and walk.
Have caught many Bulls. Average probably 16". Have caught few much, much larger.
Whites are numerous yet sometimes fickle.
Cutts are there though many say not AND further up than Coal Camp.
Rainbows are there though many say not.
Browns can go higher than most/everyone thinks. Not as big as below damn but in a few spots.
MANY F&W officers... they've shown up in the strangest places. Wish they'd walk louder so they'd stop scaring the ##!^&* out of me.

Spend the time, be patient, use common sense reading the river and be bear aware..... are some very large Grizzlies. Especially West of the Panther River.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canamdon View Post
Actually going down there sometime next couple weeks.
I've fished that River from the Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch all the way down to Coal Camp for forty years.
Took that many to figure the river's secrets!
Seems to be best from Trunk Road East. Alot of excellent holes BUT you've got to work and walk.
Have caught many Bulls. Average probably 16". Have caught few much, much larger.
Whites are numerous yet sometimes fickle.
Cutts are there though many say not AND further up than Coal Camp.
Rainbows are there though many say not.
Browns can go higher than most/everyone thinks. Not as big as below damn but in a few spots.
MANY F&W officers... they've shown up in the strangest places. Wish they'd walk louder so they'd stop scaring the ##!^&* out of me.

Spend the time, be patient, use common sense reading the river and be bear aware..... are some very large Grizzlies. Especially West of the Panther River.
sounds great! thanks for the info. im gonna have to head up there for sure sometime.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
jrs

Check google earth for access points, there's some good walk in areas around Sundre. I fished it April 1st every year i lived in Red Deer by finding spring/upwelling inputs that make it open up early. Only river fishery i truly miss in that part of the province. There will be days you won't catch a small trout.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM

was at the bridge on ftr. Fished the first two km. After that it was too iced over.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM

Default Red Deer River

Not worth the effort as the floods and pipeline leaks have really messed the fish populations and it is way too over fished to recover. Stick to the stocked lakes in the area they still contain some fish to put on the stringer. More walking than catching but if you like to hike nice place to see bears and cougars.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouserminnow View Post
Not worth the effort as the floods and pipeline leaks have really messed the fish populations and it is way too over fished to recover. Stick to the stocked lakes in the area they still contain some fish to put on the stringer. More walking than catching but if you like to hike nice place to see bears and cougars.
Local?