Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Photos of Wildhorse Lake, Hinton?

Hi all,
Does anyone have recent pic's of Wildhorse Lake? Before we make plans we want to see what it like. Haven't been there for 35 years.... gettin old.
Thanks
PK
Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 AM

Default pictures from wildhorse lake

the campground is very nice now.

both pictures are taken close to the boat launch.

these pix are the only digital pix i have.

i hope it helps

tp
Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM

Default wildhorse lake

holy !! the fish were not that big back when I used to fish that lake some years back. Looks like it has really improved. Was just a opening around that lake and free for all camping. Worth a trip back for memories and great fishing
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Since when is there brown trout in Wildhorse lake? Those are nice fish.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 AM

thats kinda what I was thinkin? BUT it surely looks like Wilidhorse

Last edited by Kevin C.; 06-22-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 PM

As TP's picture confirms there were some put in a few years ago but none in the last few years..not sure if any are left but iam sure TP will confirm or maybe not...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Here is a photo taken in 2006.

But the water level has gone down since then. I would estimate that the edge of the water is now 40' out from where you see it in the photo.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-22-2009, 09:34 PM

Thank you all for your photos. Can you operate small motors on the lake?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Default browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
As TP's picture confirms there were some put in a few years ago but none in the last few years..not sure if any are left but iam sure TP will confirm or maybe not...
those browns were indeed from wildhorse. the lake was stocked with a bonus 1000 browns along with the its annual batch of rainbows in 2004. millers also recieved 1000 browns. there is probably only a couple big ones left at best. i know millers still has some big ones because i caught one there last night. i will post the picture as soon as someone tells me how to attach my cell phone picture to an email sent from my cell phone. in a couple years wildhorse and millers will have nice browns once again as 1000 browns were stocked in each 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Wildhorse was stocked about 5, 6 years ago with browns, this year 2009 was the first year since.
Lake level has gone down a good 2 feet
Electric motors only.

Make sure to check out the lake behind wildhorse (wildhouse 2) access only via the path half way around, you could haul in a small boat and is stocked with brookies I'm told as with Kinky lake which is just down the road.

Lots in the area are under the impression no browns, thanks for the picture hopefully this will put some rest into that
Myself, nailed a nice 7 pound brown last year along with a few 3-5 pound rainbows
This year being outfished by my kids, jayden my 8 year old got a nice 3 pounder
GREAT eating fish as well, great place to camp....mostly windly during the day..perfect times I've found after 7pm
Perfect lake for kids seeing that Echos pond is now gone and the local manmade one by the gunrange is under repair (dam wall)
Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 PM

hey troutpirate, if you want to do that:
your phone should have the option of sending a multimedia text message; insert the pic into a multimedia message and, rather than keying in a phone number to send the message to, key in your home email addy. once you open the email on your computer, you need to edit the photo with your editor (photoshop or whatever you have) into a jpeg, then just upload it like you would any other photo.
hope this helps
cheers
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Another brown

Caught this brown a few weeks ago and a couple smaller ones.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSBill View Post
Wildhorse was stocked about 5, 6 years ago with browns, this year 2009 was the first year since.
Lake level has gone down a good 2 feet
Electric motors only.

Make sure to check out the lake behind wildhorse (wildhouse 2) access only via the path half way around, you could haul in a small boat and is stocked with brookies I'm told as with Kinky lake which is just down the road.

Lots in the area are under the impression no browns, thanks for the picture hopefully this will put some rest into that
Myself, nailed a nice 7 pound brown last year along with a few 3-5 pound rainbows
This year being outfished by my kids, jayden my 8 year old got a nice 3 pounder
GREAT eating fish as well, great place to camp....mostly windly during the day..perfect times I've found after 7pm
Perfect lake for kids seeing that Echos pond is now gone and the local manmade one by the gunrange is under repair (dam wall)
Update August 2012
Lake is low with only stocked Rainbows which die off each winter, sad situation as the campground is extremely digusting now, the current attendant which has ran this for several years clearly needs to be removed.
Campsites are dirty, back area of sites have become a dumping ground for black water/waste.
Bathrooms are a bloody disgrace (crap just sits under your arse, that has not been pumped out for years.
Lake front full of broken glass, garbage.
Attendant that runs this clearly shows no intention with cleaning up only taking time to stop in campsites for his/your drink!