Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
And obviously the west arm is not the only spawning grounds for walleye in that lake... From what others have said, it is a major one, but not the only one... SO, why the decision to close only the west arm? .
But it's a very all-accessible, bottleneck, spawning area.

As for the Pike, they always seem so healthy and large'ish from Travers. I don't fish there as much as would like to but compared to MacGregor the Pike seem to be doing fine. Anyone want to chime in.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny42 View Post
Is there any proof that the west arm and river is a major spawing area on Travers. Has Terry Clayton Head bio. from Leth. confirmed this , would like to know.
Terry Clayton has mentioned to people that he doesn't believe that it is a major spawning area and more of a feeding area.

He has said that it is to silted in to be a solid walleye spawning area.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
Walleye Unlimited has been working for 2-3 years on getting this closure on the west arm. We have successfully met our goal. Everyone who does fish Travers should be pleased with this closure, AS WE DIDN'T HAVE IT BEFORE. As to where the boundaries should be, not everyone is going to agree.

i believe it as also worthy to note in this discussion that while Walleye Unlimited has been working on the closure for the past 2-3 years, the S.A.W.T tourney at travers has been bumped up to may 28th-29th in 2011, and may 15th-16th in 2010. prior to the last 2 years the travers tourney was held in mid june from 2003-2009. looking even further back prior to 2003 the scheduled dates were closer to mid/end of august in 2002 and 2001. interesting.

all info obtained from the S.A.W.T history page on their website.

http://www.gowalleye.com/sawt/

Dace
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i believe it as also worthy to note in this discussion that while Walleye Unlimited has been working on the closure for the past 2-3 years, the S.A.W.T tourney at travers has been bumped up to may 28th-29th in 2011, and may 15th-16th in 2010. prior to the last 2 years the travers tourney was held in mid june from 2003-2009. looking even further back prior to 2003 the scheduled dates were closer to mid/end of august in 2002 and 2001. interesting.

all info obtained from the S.A.W.T history page on their website.

http://www.gowalleye.com/sawt/

Dace

The dates had been changed because that is when the government issued the CFE's for. SAWT doesn't really get a say on which weekends they get the tourneys. They just submit that they want them and wait for the dates they are given.

We are only allowed to have tourneys in May, June, and September now so SAWT takes what they can get.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
The dates had been changed because that is when the government issued the CFE's for. SAWT doesn't really get a say on which weekends they get the tourneys. They just submit that they want them and wait for the dates they are given.

We are only allowed to have tourneys in May, June, and September now so SAWT takes what they can get.
Does SAWT alternate lakes or is it only Travers,,, you guys/gals release everything and I was wondering if you've ever held the tourny on MacGregor?, the Walleye in there are getting to a beastly size.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Does SAWT alternate lakes or is it only Travers,,, you guys/gals release everything and I was wondering if you've ever held the tourny on MacGregor?, the Walleye in there are getting to a beastly size.
Ya the SAWT fishes Travers, Chin, Ridge, and St.Mary and has had tourneys at 40 Mile, and Sherburne also.

It all depends on which fisheries are healthy enough to host the tourneys.

The government won't allow CFE's for Macgregor and Newel because they are both under special regs.

Macgregor being catch and release only

Newel being on a tag system.

We can only fish the lakes with regulations where we are allowed to keep fish and have to follow the same size limits as the regs state. There were teams disqualified after weighing in a fish that was a millimeter or 2 short last season.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya the SAWT fishes Travers, Chin, Ridge, and St.Mary and has had tourneys at 40 Mile, and Sherburne also.

It all depends on which fisheries are healthy enough to host the tourneys.

The government won't allow CFE's for Macgregor and Newel because they are both under special regs.

We can only fish the lakes with regulations where we are allowed to keep fish and have to follow the same size limits as the regs state. There were teams disqualified after weighing in a fish that was a millimeter or 2 short last season.
They allowed a tournament on Pinehurst last year which is on a tag system, I guess each area (biologist) must have different rules?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:

That makes no sense whatsoever - so Goverment is saying it is fine for us to catch and release 100 walleye a day in Pine coulee or Crawling or Pigeon, but it is not ok for tournament? Help me I am getting confused here...Does that mean that they consider tournaments as increased risk for morality of the fish and thus they should be held only where fish can be kept? To me it looks like experienced anglers in tournaments know better how to handle the fish and thus will be lesser risk then once a year fishermen at Pine Coulee for exampe...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:57 PM

x2
Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever - so Goverment is saying it is fine for us to catch and release 100 walleye a day in Pine coulee or Crawling or Pigeon, but it is not ok for tournament?
Sad reality, and I agree 100%. I don't understand why the gov does what it does, such a waste.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Anyone know how the fishing was during the last two tournaments at Travers? Were the fish really pounded in the post spawn? Was there horrific damage done. Doubtful. Cant really say for sure last year, but the year before there wasnt even a whole lot of fish caught by guys that can really catch fish!

And yes there are other spawning areas.

I dont have a problem protecting the fish if they need it. And Im not convinced that they need the protection some on here are suggesting.

I have been around awhile, both in tournaments and recreational fishing. Fishing in the spring does impact the fishing but show me some evidence that they are in trouble or even heading for trouble.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Terry Clayton has mentioned to people that he doesn't believe that it is a major spawning area and more of a feeding area.

Cats outa the bag.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 PM

huntsfurfish, I fished the travers tourny last summer, no walleye were caught upstream or west of the boat dock, and in 2011 the bulk of the walleye were caught on the main part of the res, east of the coalbanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sonny you may have just gave away your spot
Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Is there any proof that the west arm and river is a major spawing area on Travers. Has Terry Clayton Head bio. from Leth. confirmed this , would like to know.

Isnt the fact that SRD seeks a regulation change enough proof.
Would SRD try and regulate lesser spawning areas?
I have a info sheet handed to me at the claresholm meeting from SRD which confirms this is a important area of interest that needs attention.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

That is not what was said a the meeting so tell me when did he say that and who did he say it to!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by horsetrader; 11-05-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Isnt the fact that SRD seeks a regulation change enough proof.
Would SRD try and regulate lesser spawning areas?
I have a info sheet handed to me at the claresholm meeting from SRD which confirms this is a important area of interest that needs attention.
Could the area of interest be more of a post spawn recovery area?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:

This news saddens me to a great deal.
At the meeting Brian made a comment that the west arm is the only spawning area for Travers, the comment was immediately disputed. So Nate explain....

So if what your saying is true.....why all of this?

p.s. walleye donot need clean gravel to spawn....in fact the fish are not driven to the area solely because of gravel
Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Not what the sheet says.........
Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Horse, did you come all the way down from Edmonton for the meeting? Sadly, I missed it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Anyone know how the fishing was during the last two tournaments at Travers? Were the fish really pounded in the post spawn? Was there horrific damage done. Doubtful. Cant really say for sure last year, but the year before there wasnt even a whole lot of fish caught by guys that can really catch fish!

I dont have a problem protecting the fish if they need it. And Im not convinced that they need the protection some on here are suggesting.

I have been around awhile, both in tournaments and recreational fishing. Fishing in the spring does impact the fishing but show me some evidence that they are in trouble or even heading for trouble.
Quote:
huntsfurfish, I fished the travers tourny last summer, no walleye were caught upstream or west of the boat dock, and in 2011 the bulk of the walleye were caught on the main part of the res, east of the coalbanks.

So because you were not able to devastate the walleye in the west arm that means it ok to continue that is the most ridicules point that has been make on this thread yet. The way you look at things that means we don't need to protect any areas until we have already caused "HORRIFIC DAMAGE"your words. I'm sure glad you are not the person managing the fishery......
Old 11-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Well I guess this isnt as clear as we all thought.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
So because you were not able to devastate the walleye in the west arm that means it ok to continue that is the most ridicules point that has been make on this thread yet. The way you look at things that means we don't need to protect any areas until we have already caused "HORRIFIC DAMAGE"your words. I'm sure glad you are not the person managing the fishery......
Your funny
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your funny
Sorry but when I read ridiculous posts I call them ridiculous if you think thats funny thats up to you.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:

your comment below seem to suggest you were there and know the answer

Correct.....if the other ones were more important , wouldnt it seem logical to protect them over the area being suggested

Then we must assume SRD is lying

At the meeting I specifically asked how has the test netting been for Travers...we were told NOT good. Combined with what SRD is purposing....what more evidence can we base the need for a change on?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Horse, did you come all the way down from Edmonton for the meeting? Sadly, I missed it.
The meetings agenda was posted in another thread. And I made sure I got any information about the meeting afterwards.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Sorry but when I read ridiculous posts I call them ridiculous if you think thats funny thats up to you.
I was making a point, only you as usual has taken it out of context.
But your still funny
Old 11-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
To add to this.....This is why I dont like the boundaries of this closure.....the boundaries donot encompass the pre or post areas.
You either care for these fish.....ALL IN....or why bother.
If srd has said the fall tests nets are not good and changes need to be made.....shouldnt we do all we can?
But i can definitly see why every one is resisting, when Nate a tournament angler says our Bio has told him differently and the comment goes against what the SAWT president even said at the meeting
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was making a point, only you as usual has taken it out of context.
But your still funny
No see as usual you were not making a point. Because there is nothing funny about the situation. but you can continue as you are...
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Sounds like more hard data is needed.