Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Default Lower kananaskis lake camping and fishing

Hey guys,
I am heading to lower k this weekend for some camp and fish. Any word on the area since it re opened? Also, how's the fishing? I'm taking my canoe for a day then planning on hitting rawson lake the next. Any luck lately on the lower k?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 PM

Did the hike up to Rawson last Saturday (July 27).
- Upper lakes trail (the one that circumnavigates the shore) is closed past the junction with Rawson, but the hike in to Rawson is open
- Sarrail (sp?) creek bridge just before the turnoff to the Rawson trail is damaged and shouldn't be walked over, however there is a ford of the creek right near where it enters the upper K-Lake that was about mid-thigh at it's deepest point.
- fished about 2-3 hours total with the GF, myself on a fly rod and her with a spin rod. We touched over 20 fish total between the two of us. About 60% on the fly rod hit a stimulator and the rest were on some assorted nymphs (although IIRC a hare's ear was the most 'popular'). She was having the best luck with a tiny little 5 of diamonds and in general found that they were mostly interested in things that were either yellow or red.
- as usual the K-lakes were rough looking when we showed up in the early afternoon but had calmed down significantly and looked much nicer to fish by around 5PM (ish). LOL - sadly I was unable to convince her that adding a few bullies to the days total would be worth the late return to Calgary.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM

I was thinking of bringing the fly rod to rawson. Thanks for the info flyfisher. I'm taking the wife, so hopefully she will paddle me around lower k while I fish lol. I wouldn't mind hitting a big trout in in the lower,but if that's not working out, rawsons always a nice option. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD View Post
I was thinking of bringing the fly rod to rawson. Thanks for the info flyfisher. I'm taking the wife, so hopefully she will paddle me around lower k while I fish lol. I wouldn't mind hitting a big trout in in the lower,but if that's not working out, rawsons always a nice option. Thanks again.
No worries.
You can also use the fly rod in the lower lakes. A streamer (I've had luck with white ones in the past) close to the bottom is usually productive, especially if you find a location where the bottom drops away fairly quickly from the shoreline. I've only fished it earlier in the season when the fish are close to the surface after the ice goes out, so I have no idea if that would still work now that things are a bit hotter. Hopefully someone else chimes in with a bit more experience / information.

As for Rawson, we basically hiked around the shoreline to almost the other side of the lake until we found what amounted to a small-ish bay where the bottom dropped away from the shore and didn't see the need to move all day long.

Depending on how lenient the wife is, I'd suggest fishing in the morning at the lower until the wind kicks in and roughens up the lake. Have some lunch, do the hike in to Rawson, and fish for a while up there. After you come down the wind should have mostly died down for the night at the lakes and you can try for a few more bulls before heading back to your campsite for some dinner.

My own personal experience at the lower lakes is that the fishing is way more productive when the lake is calm and glassy, although that may just be because the lake really only calms down for the morning and evening when the fish are typically more active. Again, no idea if this is true or not for other anglers but for me as soon as the wind dies down the bullies seem to come out and play.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM

My best day fishing in LK involved using a regular spin cast setup with monofilament tied to a bead head olive or brown wooly bugger. The two other guys in the boat had superline and didn't get a bite. Let a lot of line out and just troll slowly at the southern end of the lake. We caught 9 big bullies (6 with tags) and an honest to goodness 10lb rainbow.

I had no weight on, just the fly. It was also a fairly calm day, a bit of a breeze but nothing serious. There were two young grizzlies feeding on shore and the backdrop is second to nowhere. One of my best fishing days ever.

tight lines and post pics if you're successful.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 PM

Just came in from camping and fishing in Kananaskis today and fished the Lower lakes and my best fishing days yet. I used chironomids and dries as soon as the power plant turned off at around 9 PM fish started to rise the surface.