Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Default algae problem reported by globle TV

just watched news from globle TV that the algae at Lac Ste Anne blooms and health authority has issued a safty concern warning.

Does this mean the fishing is over on this lake? I haven't filled my tags yet.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM

I had the same question in regards to Baptiste. I was in contact with a head CO, and what he told me is that the tag's are good until March 31 2013. Algae blooms fall to the bottom of the lake and absorb into the setiment. He said they are only temporary and the fish will be good to eat eventually. If they do deem the fish unsafe for consumption for the whole season, a refund could be potentially issued. Basically don't eat any fish if there is an advisory in effect. Once the advisory has been lifted you are safe to eat the fish. I know myself that I will not purchase any tags next year on susceptible lakes to blue green algae blooms or lakes such as Lac La Nonne that have consumption advisories due to high mercury levels.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Mercury is naturally occuring in most lakes and waterbodies. You can significantly reduce your risk when consuming fish from these lakes by removeing the dark/fatty strip from your fillets. As most toxins and heavy metals are stored in the fat, you can reduce the consumption of these toxins by as much as 80%.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM

That's good to know! Thanks for the tip!!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
He said they are only temporary and the fish will be good to eat eventually. If they do deem the fish unsafe for consumption for the whole season, a refund could be potentially issued
there has never been a study that supported fish in blue algae are unsafe for consumption.

the advisory says nothing about not being able to eat the fish. Only to limit the amount you eat as a precaution.

Can i ask what CO gave you this information?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM

My co worker has a cabin at Lac St anne and apparently they are prohibiting boating as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
just watched news from globle TV that the algae at Lac Ste Anne blooms and health authority has issued a safty concern warning.

Does this mean the fishing is over on this lake? I haven't filled my tags yet.
There needs to be some clarification around these issues.

First of all, the toxin - microcystin - that Alberta Health Services is referring to when posting beaches is water soluble and thus does not passively cross cell membranes nor does it accumulate in the fatty flesh of fish (or any other animals). It's nothing like heavy metals or fat soluble man made chemicals. This toxin is mostly specific to liver tissue as liver cells have the proper proteins required for toxin uptake. Hence the liver is the most likely organ for accumulation in fish. On that note it's best not to eat fish liver!

The fact is we don't know to what extent microcystin accumulates in muscle (filet meat) of Alberta sport fish. There is some research conducted at fish farms in the southern USA indicating some species -mainly planktivorous, but not piscivorous - fish, such as silver carp and tilapia can accumulate microcystin toxin. Personally, I do not believe this happens in the top predatory fish like walleye and pike, but we'll know more later this year as studies are being funded by Alberta Health and ESRD to shed light on this. In the meantime, AH, AHS and ESRD suggests to limit consumption until further evidence suggests otherwise. Sounds like good advice to me but I'm primarily catch and release anyway.

Also, it should be noted that AHS posts human health 'risk' advisories - these ARE NOT lake closures per se but rather strongly worded advice to convey the risks - as far as we understand from CURRENT research - to human health from contacting the water. In fact, they can't actually close a lake as only the federal gov't can do that (I believe transport Canada under the navigable waters act or something similar). So you can still do whatever you wish.

In addition to this, I can tell you that Dept of Health, AHS and ESRD are investing significantly in research to support the development of an (scientific) evidence-based approach to monitoring and advisories for toxic cyanobacteria in Alberta recreational waters. This is in support of proposed recreational water quality guidelines due out shortly from Health Canada.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

How old was the report on the algae bloom in Lac Ste Anne? I spend most of the summer out there and the worst was a couple of weeks ago. The lake is already starting to turn and has improved since then. It happens every year and this year is not much different than any other.......maybe a bit more than last year.

I try to fill my tags in the spring or fall/winter. Fish caught when there's allot of algae suspended in the water simply don't taste as good as ones caught in clearer water.

The beach was open last weekend and the one before.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 AM

was out at lac st anne yesterday, dead calm day. At the boat launch, there was lots of algae. Out in the lake, there were definately gobs of blue green. I have seen it worst at pigeon. Fishing line was not collecting algae.

People were water skiing !!!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM

My Brother is up @ Calling Lake and he said its getting really nasty up there too.

LC
Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Blue Green

Don't eat the blue green. Don't let your dog loose around the blue green.
The fish are fine to eat ( Don't eat the guts ).

Been waterskiing in Lake Isle 35 years. Try not to ski in the blue green because it is yucky.

Algae is part of Alberta lakes. Don't let it stop your summer fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How old was the report on the algae bloom in Lac Ste Anne?
The news from globle TV was on two days ago.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

They have a warning for pigeon lake again also . Nothing new .