Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

Default On our way to Prince Rupert

First time heading to the coast - Prince Rupert our destination. Driving through Banff, Jasper route. Any ideas of good camping spots or sights to see along the way. We love fishing and plan to do so on our way. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
First time heading to the coast - Prince Rupert our destination. Driving through Banff, Jasper route. Any ideas of good camping spots or sights to see along the way. We love fishing and plan to do so on our way. Any ideas appreciated.
You will not make rupert for weeks lol every lake and creek/ river you see holds fish. The closer to the coast you get the bigger the fish get.lol. good luck.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM

Bring some gear for river fishing salmon and hit the Kitimat should be full of coho right now
Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Trout Alley on Babine Lake.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned

Panko, great trip planed!
If your interested in a day charter, or perhaps staying a night at the lodge, feel free to call me directly on my cell.
403-813-2704

Thanks
Jamie
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 PM

Just got back from there this morning. We fished with Jamie for the weekend and had a blast. Great place to stay. Once you get by the coast it's hard to drive while looking at everything.
I really enjoy from Smithers west
Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Just got back from there this morning. We fished with Jamie for the weekend and had a blast. Great place to stay. Once you get by the coast it's hard to drive while looking at everything.
Glad to hear you guys had a good time.
I know on our end we sure enjoyed your group.
Good luck this fall and we will see you next year.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM

And once you get over their you wont want to come back !!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Actually, once you get to the Hungry Hill Summit it's really beautiful. Anything between PG and Houston is just like driving northern Alberta, just some of the hills are bigger. Though the one straight stretch before Houston where you can see Morice and Nadina Mountain in the same view is nice.

As for fishing a long the way... you'd never make it to rupert before you had your limit of every available species, both daily and possesion limits.

Sockeye are in Babine lake, every species of salmon is in the Skeena, and Nass though chinooks will be spawned out. Kitimat is plugged full of fish. Smaller lakes that are within a short drive of the highway, depending on how much rain they've got, have turned over by now so fishing will have slowed down but still good on the bigger lakes. Most of the streams and creeks you'll cross will hold fish.

For novelty sake, make a stop on the east end of Fraser Lake at Pipers Glen and fish the worlds shortest river. The turn off to the river is just before Pipers Glen by a few KM, I think it's called Clark Pit Rd. It's at the end of the straight stretch as you leave Fort Fraser after crossing the Nechako. No idea on how it fishes, but like I said, for novelty sake.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default Prince Rupert info

Wow! Thanks everyone for the info. Really getting excited. Helps a lot to know where to go, etc. for someone like us never venturing out that way before.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
Wow! Thanks everyone for the info. Really getting excited. Helps a lot to know where to go, etc. for someone like us never venturing out that way before.
The lakes with signs on the side of the road have reasonable access, the ones that don't good luck.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Have a great time. It is a trip well worth doing.
If you are going fishing, there is nothing like fishing Salt Water.

We went last year and I fully intend to go again, as many times as I can manage.

I haven't traveled the route from Prince George to Banff in over forty years.
We use the northern route, through Dawson and the Pine Pass.

Like Wild&Free said, from Prince George to headwaters of the Skeena was not very exciting but past that it got good.
There is the falls where the natives catch Salmon and the lower Skeena canyon. We were told that about 30 miles out of Prince Rupert there are cliff the Mountain Goat use and they often come right down to the highway.
We had not trouble finding the cliffs but the weather was lousy so we didn't see any Goats.
I was also intrequed by the Alber Forests along the lower stretches of the canyon. I've never seen Alder that big. Watching the Harbor seals and the hundreds of Eagles in Cow Bay was cool. I just wish the sun had come out so I could have gotten some better photos.

One last thing, be sure to try the Dungeness Crabs, they are delicious!!
And that from a guy raised on Northern Alberta Moose. I could put all the seafood I've eaten in my life on one plate. LOL

George Bernard Shaw