Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Teaching the Girlfriend

My girlfriend got a 5wt snowbee combo for christmas this year. Are there any lakes within an hour or two of okotoks that are open and suitable to teach a beginner?
I have taught a few people before but usually once they can cast I take them to Picklejar for an easy first fish.... and 2nd, 3rd... 10th...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM

My recommendation would be to take her to a park or similar open area before bring her to open water (lake/river, etc.) - as it will add a whole other element of frustration/distraction... Beyond that, Pine Coulee comes to mind and/or anywhere in Kananaskis, proper... Is the expectation for her to hook up or just practice casting, etc.?!

P
Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM

I have found that getting them out on a boat relieves a lot of frustration without the trees and bushes. They can just drift a fly and hook-up adding some excitement.

A bit of a drive from Okotoks but Strubel Lake is full of eager little trout that will bite anything you throw at them.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM

try some of the stocked ponds along the highway in kananaskis west of bragg creek on 22x. decent back casting area in places, willing fish to make first experience rewarding.

Or, PM me, I know a few slower spots on the sheep river that area prime learning area's that hold tiny rainbows that are fun!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
try some of the stocked ponds along the highway in kananaskis west of bragg creek on 22x. decent back casting area in places, willing fish to make first experience rewarding.
Yeah, I was thinking about McLean pond, i have had some fun with a fly rod there. But it will be iced over for quite a while yet. I live near Bragg and have found it to open up a bit late. i currently have an eye on sibbald pond, or even chain lakes. does anyone know what the ice conditions are like?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Theres nothing wrong with teaching her in a river.

I've taught many people, including an 8month pregnant lady.

Teach them the roll cast first, then the regular casting techniques.

All fly fishers need to know these casting techniques.... and the roll cast gets them to understand the weight dynamics at play when using a fly line.

They'll also have a greater chance of catching fish faster.

I strongly recommend teaching roll cast with a bugger, get em into fish.. then get them into dryfly fanciness..

Take em to the Bow. Get her hooked!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."