Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Restricted Handgun Registration

Good day.

There is a restricted firearm that the current owner would like to give to me as i have a Restricted Liscence (and Range Membership) and he wants it properly registered and what not.
He Tried registering it alot of years ago and the Firearms office kept messing it up. So the handgun is not currently registered.

what is the best way to go about getting this gun registed properly if i can not get an ATT to transport it to a verifier?

I need some assistance with this so it does not get confiscated.

please and thanks to all who provide some info.

i have never registered a restriced firearm before!

Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned

Have the verifier come to you.

Create an account on CanadianGunNutz dot com, search for or start a thread looking for Alberta verifiers who do house-calls.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...rchid=16786461

Quote:
I was able to register one a year or so ago. I had to have it verified first and you cannot get a short term ATT for it because there is no certificate. More or less that means that you need to know someone who is a verifier and can go to the location of the gun. You can also have a police officer transport it but I would not want to trust that for fear of it simply being confiscated and turned in for destruction. Once verified, you go online and register it including the verifiers identification. Within a day you will receive a phone call from Ottawa asking how you got the gun and you have to justify that it was obtained honestly. (In my case it was from an estate which means that the previous owner could not be charged). I asked what the policy was on such guns and was told that it was done on a case by case basis. I know of other cases where the gun was confiscated because it apparently had been registered and sold without a transfer. (gun was a muzzle loading target pistol).

If the gun is unregistered but short barreled you cannot register it as a complete gun but you can remove the short barrel and destroy that and then register the gun as a frame only or rebarrel it and register it as restricted. Important that you can prove you destroyed the barrel. Finally if the gun was prohibited on the basis of being 25 or 32 caliber, the frame itself is prohibited and it cannot be registered as a frame only nor rebarreled and rechambered to restricted

cheers mooncoon

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 06-23-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Default not sure it can be done legally

I have bought an unregistered hand gun from an estate and there is a special RCMP division to look after these situations.
The owner or yourself cannot transport the firearm legally anywhere (him because his possession is already illegal) and I believe punishable by a minimum term of 5 years. You cannot transport yourself because you do not legally own it or have it registered to you so it is not covered on your LTATT.
Guess a verifier who makes house calls could go to his residence but I dont know what would prevent them from reporting the owner for having an unregistered restricted firearm. If they didnt register it years ago maybe it is prohibited and not just restricted in which case they would seize and destroy.
if I were you I would place an anonymous call to the RCMP firearms line and ask for advice to see if it can be done without risk to the owner as sometimes they have an amnesty for non compliant individuals coming clean to fix the situation.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
snip
I were you I would place an anonymous call to the RCMP firearms line and ask for advice to see if it can be done without risk to the owner as sometimes they have an amnesty for non compliant individuals coming clean to fix the situation.
DO NOT call from your own phone. Use a public telephone, (and don't hang around long) or call from your lawyer's office.

I suggest you first contact the NFA or CSSA for advice and direction.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
DO NOT call from your own phone. Use a public telephone, (and don't hang around long) or call from your lawyer's office.

I suggest you first contact the NFA or CSSA for advice and direction.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Incredulous. Wanting to legally register a firearm seems as though it's an endeavour for CIA operatives. I'd want to believe that firearm verifiers are gun friendly people. If I were one I'd strive to help good law abiding people with the process of legal registration rather than set them up for a chit show or shiny bracelets and making them instant criminals.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Incredulous. Wanting to legally register a firearm seems as though it's an endeavour for CIA operatives. I'd want to believe that firearm verifiers are gun friendly people. If I were one I'd strive to help good law abiding people with the process of legal registration rather than set them up for a chit show or shiny bracelets and making them instant criminals.
I agree that the world is not as it should be, and wish that it was,

but we need to deal with what is, and not what should be.

Boxer's 1st rule, and final direction from referee, "Protect yourself at all times."

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Banned

c-42 had something to do with ATT's perhaps now it's easier to be a law abiding citizen
Old 06-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I agree that the world is not as it should be, and wish that it was,

but we need to deal with what is, and not what should be.

Boxer's 1st rule, and final direction from referee, "Protect yourself at all times."

Good Luck, YMMV.
I see your point and commiserate.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM

I bought a .44 CVA flint lock pistol kit from an estate sale brand new in box, this was during a amnesty period, I phoned the firearms people explained the situation I also told them the flash hole had not been drilled because back in the day you could order these from the US with no hassle. It still had a price tag $29.95 on it.

You'd think I was trying to register a nuclear bomb, the verifier guy came to my house measured up the barrel and sent in the papers it took 4 years to get the registration papers they couldn't decide if it had to be registered or not because it was a flintlock finally they gave me the papers. To this day I wonder if I should have registered it or not.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:18 AM

Default Hmmm

As a verifier, I'm not sure you need one, unless you don't know what the firearm is. I am skeptical they will support the transaction of what they will deem an illegal weapon, an estate sell is one thing, someone who broke the law in their eyes, well, I'm sure you can see how this plays out. I suspect it will go under the chop saw at best, but probably a criminal charge.
Unless! Maybe you've got an antique revolver of sorts that does not require a PAL even?
Old 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM

My experience is that the CFC is more than happy to get guns registered. Make sure it will be restricted and not prohibited. Have the CFC try a transfer from original owner to you using the serial number (it may be in the system). If it isn't they should be able to verify it over the phone as part of the transfer. Hopefully it is very clear what the make and model is.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
c-42 had something to do with ATT's perhaps now it's easier to be a law abiding citizen
No, it's not.

C-42 didn't do much at all. Yes, it made ATT's a condition of license, but that's only actually happening when the Attorny General brings it into force. It is not into force yet, as such, there have been NO changes to the ATT situation. Regardless, the changes that might happen (if the NDP or Liberals win the election, they will surely simply NEVER set a coming into force date) wouldn't affect this kind of situation at all, as the gun isn't registered.

C-42 was a huge sham - it did very little good, and some bad. Is it a good sign that the government was at least trying to make an impression that they were working "for gun owners" instead of "against gun owners"? Yes, absolutely it is. But the law itself really didn't accomplish a whole lot, and if the government doesn't bring the laws into force, it accomplished precisely zero. If the Conservatives don't win the election, it accomplished precisely zero (and it might have actually harmed things, since it brought gun laws to the fore, instead of leaving them in the back of the minds of Dippers and Libs, it made them think about gun laws, very recently).
Old 07-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
My experience is that the CFC is more than happy to get guns registered. Make sure it will be restricted and not prohibited. Have the CFC try a transfer from original owner to you using the serial number (it may be in the system). If it isn't they should be able to verify it over the phone as part of the transfer. Hopefully it is very clear what the make and model is.

X2

Measure the barrel
Have the serial number and make/model handy

Call the CFC and explain it was "found" in a closet and you'd like to register it

Don't add in any extra details

They will be happy to register it, nobody as yet I am aware of has been in trouble for registering an orphan restricted... Old guns turn up all the time.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 PM

I pulled an old couple out of the ditch in a snowstorm. He wanted my address for a thank u card

He showed up on my doorstep with a Mauser broom handle in a towel. ....

Never registered.

I called the CFO and explained. They registered it to me over the phone.

That was my experience.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 PM

One thing to consider is where did this handgun come from? An old broom handle Mauser or Colt single action army is one thing that it could be easily explained why it wasn't registered. Registration for handguns in Canada has been around a long time!! If this is a common pistol or revolver how did it get to Canada in the first place. If you're buddy got it from the trunk of a rental car or something it may have been used for other than "target" shooting and could have been used in a crime. Just something to think about.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 PM

Several years back a good friend of mine added a Walther PPK to his collection, the pistol was found in a bank safety deposit box loaded with one in the chamber after the previous owner had passed away....

The RCMP came to the bank and collected the pistol, they held it for a few weeks till the paperwork was done...

Seems the old fella who put it in the box had planned to make one last withdrawal but never got around to it before his health turned.

Guns turn up all the time... I have several more story's much like the one above and all have happy endings.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I pulled an old couple out of the ditch in a snowstorm. He wanted my address for a thank u card

He showed up on my doorstep with a Mauser broom handle in a towel. ....

Never registered.

I called the CFO and explained. They registered it to me over the phone.

That was my experience.
Wow! Well, happened to the right guy, and a deserving recipient!

I happen to pull over quite a bit myself and offer tows. I thing one of the more memorable was pulling a little old lady out of a muddy ditch with my Sidekick out around Smoky Lake/Victoria Settlement. It was raining pretty good, and a deer scared her right off the road. She was pretty shook up, but other than knocking a little plastic off her van she was alright, and surprised that "that little thing" was able to pull her mini-van out.

I was feeling pretty good about my good deed for the day, when an RCMP cruiser showed up to the party. After I had got the old gal out, then it was my turn to be surprised. The female RC started to run my plate, she informed me that numbers didn't match and wanted to see my registration! That's what our criminals are up to! Pulling old ladies out of the ditch, during rain storms! Not a concern about the poor old gal that just came out of the ditch! Gall durn cops! Try to be a nice guy!

Just kiddin' about the second last sentence (kind of) Huntin'!

Silently I wished that I had the chance to pass that RCMP, mud up to it's axles in the ditch, most of the way home.

I got a pair of gloves, and $25 once from an older couple after towing him around quite a bit. To tell the truth I felt a little guilty, I had the feeling that they weren't exactly flush, but there was no way she was going to let me leave without it. I still have those folded up bills.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 AM

Hey Bobby,

With mandatory minimums, an out of control RCMP, CFO's who think they are god, a potential for a change in government in the near future as well as pinkos running the province, an old clunker handgun might not be worth the risk.

I think I would talk to a lawyer before doing anything. A $500 handgun isn't worth the grief this could bring on your head. Or, save the money spent on a lawyer, buy yourself a nice registered handgun and make sure this one "ends up at the bottom of a lake" - if you get my drift.

I would expect trouble already by starting this thread. Make sure your stuff is stored properly.

Tags
att, cfo, handgun, register, restricted