Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Open water trout around Red Deer

Thinking about going out tomorrow or the weekend for some open water Rainbows around the Red Deer area. Anyone know if any of the ponds are ice free? It looks like Len Thompson out in Lacombe is ice free, but I don't know anything about this pond. Also, Hansen has most the ice off, again, I'm not sure anything about this one either. The only trout pond I've fished is Dickson Trout pond with limited success and I believe it still has ice on it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. So Hansen or Len Thompson or another I'm not thinking about?

KRF
Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Drove out to Dickson last night, still lots of ice. Helmers south west of Eckville was open though and there is that other little pond just north east of Benalto off Highway 11 i imagine it is ice free as well.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Dont know if they winter in the len thompson pond, but I used to fish their in the late summers. Mosquito surface flies were the best bet in the evening when they are surface feeding.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Is that Helmers Southwest of Eckville? Do you have the access highway or range road? I know I went to Hansen which was SW of Eckville today which wasn't good at all. There was enough open water to fish but after a few hours nothing was seen or felt, so we left. The search continues for fishing grounds around Red Deer for a few hours here or there until the lakes open up.

Cheers and thanks for the info.

KRF
Old 04-18-2010, 06:48 PM

went to hansons and the pond by benalto off 11 didnt get a bite, tryed a bead head bugger and a cronomid, nothin. goin to the heritage ranch pond tonight.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Let us know how it goes? I've never been to the Heritage ranch. I'm also curious if you know anything about Len Thompson in Lacombe. I can't see the fish making it over winter there, but who knows.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 AM

the len thompson in lacombe is very hit or miss, used to fish it tons and tons and have only caught a handful of fish, im pretty sure the lake dosent winter very well. ive had the best luck on the north corner of the lake with floating flies. very small trout but i have seen kids pull or 2 -3 lbers
Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM

In my experience the fish don't overwinter at Heritage Ranch and it usually isn't stocked until right around the May long weekend.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM

was at heritage the othere day they have stocked it and theres some 2nd years in there to, Fun time!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Can anyone give me any tips on what to use as far as spinning at heritage?