Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Gull Lake May 20

Was out at Gull last night and managed two smaller pike. Did a lot of cruising around in the boat so only a couple of hours fishing. Overall it wasn't great fishing but everything started and worked well so for the first outing of the season I'd call it a success. Anyone else out at Gull or Sylvan yesterday or today? Any successes? One thing about Gull or maybe its because its May Long, but people need to understand launch etiquette a bit better. As well, I would love to see a bigger dock built at Eberling as to accomodate those fishing and those launching separately.

KRF
Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Was a good weekend at Gull. Over 40 pike throughout the weekend, and quite a few at keeper size. My wife actually tied into 5 on friday night, first pike she's ever caught. The 5 pounder she landed was priceless.

I have to agree with the dock, shoud be a seperate area for those that want to dock fish. It would be nice to have a place to moor off the boats also.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM

We were out there as well my friend and I took our daughters out for a bit. Both caught their first pike that day. The girls managed 5 fish in probably 3 hours or so. Wasn't a bad day we went out on Sat about 3pm and the lake was like glass. We came back just before all the rain blew in. I also caught the smallest fish of my life. Using a Len Thompson 5 of Diamonds No. 2. The little guy was just smaller then the lure. The hook went perfectly in the gills and out the mouth, it didn't even poke the little guy. He must have been swimming by to get a closer look at what the heck was flashing through the water. After a few pictures we tossed it back in the lake. The kids had a good laugh and kept telling their moms that I only caught a baby fish

All in all great day!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Default gull sat-sun

went to gull sat. afternoon fished about 3 hrs, wife managed a 5lb4oz wally and 1 small pike myself zilch.Went out for 6 hrs on sunday and nailed 7 pike nothing over a3 brother got a 4lb wally and a couple small pike as well not to bad a start for opening weekend. The walleye were very sluggish, guess the water temp has alot to do with it. was about 58 degrees
Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 PM

What water depth were you finding them in? The two we caught were in that 10 feet area.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisrf View Post
What water depth were you finding them in? The two we caught were in that 10 feet area.
Ya about the same 10-12 feet of water. We caught most of them on spoons. All went back in the lake for someone else to catch another day.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 AM

Same with the Wallies we caught on Sunday, which also went back to be caught another day. They were really nice and fat actually. Quite impressed.

Went out with Kokanee and Braun and between the 3 of us caught 6 legal size pikes, 2 decent size wally, and a perch.

Fishing for us was really slow in the early mornings but picked up later on.

Awesome day out, water was like glass for most of the day. Rain and wind didn't pick up til late afternoon in to the evening. Which is really great since it was forecasted to rain throughout the day a few days prior.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 AM

Gull is zero limit on walleye btw. We got all our pike in 6-7 fow, that seemed to be the magic depth to keep the boat in. They were hitting on pretty much anything bright and flashy. Caught them on clown x-rap, firetiger clack n rap, booyah chartruese and white spinner, etc. Most productive was a blue fox spoon that looks quite like a perch. Lots of fun!!

I thought that was braun unloading a boat on sunday, should have said hi, lol.