Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Default How to catch a sturgeon

This year I have had great luck finding really large fish. I am going fishing all over Alberta next week because I have the whole week off to fish. I want to go find myself a sturgeon and was thinking of heading to NSR.

My question is...what do people use to successfully land a sturgeon? Are lures used or bait? How is it done? Does it matter if the water is muddy? Do they like certain areas like trout do? If so, how do I read the water? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

minnows work well and big fat worms can be good at times. i usually make my own "pickerel rig" with 12 lb line on the rod as well as for the rig. then 8 lb line for the two single hooks and 6 lb line for the weight. if something breaks, it should be the weaker lines so if you lose a weight you dont lose the whole setup. more importantly, if the line breaks in a fish it will have a better chance of not getting hog tied to a branch or whatever. look for deep still pools in the river. keep your line tight and never take your eyes off it. they often hit so subtle you dont even see it. best bet is to hold the rod so you can watch and feel. the odd fish will just smash a minnow, but usually its pretty soft. post pics when you are successful please. oh, and they are VERY sharp...especially the smaller ones so be careful if you need to touch it.