Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 05:41 PM

Frabill "ice hunter" combo in medium heavy. Love mine! Mine was $54 at Cabelas but I think it would be close to the same price at Bass Pro. The "bro" series looks good to and it's only a few bucks more.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 PM

The Berkeley ice line has always been good to me. I mostly target early ice season trout.

haven't tried the braided ice line, but Wayne might have.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
In addition to what Fishgunner said; The problem is likely the line. Make sure when you load the reel you wind it the right way off the spool. Also, sounds like you are using a fairly stiff, abrasion resistant line like XT. At min switch to XL or better yet get some cold weather line designed specifically for use below zero (Berkley sub zero in clear or blue works well and is inexpensive. There are better lines but they are a lot more money.) My bet is that will solve your line twist issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
As D2 stated proper loading of line makes a differance. Try pulling out lint to the depth your fishing and give it a stretch .do you use a quality swivel up 24" in your set up some lures and a single minnow can put twist in a line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
With the line spool it has a direction of lay . So in simple terms if you place the spool on the floor with the lettering up (assuming 100/50yrd ) crank on say twenty turns of line . Then stop and relax the line to the spool if correct it will just stay in a loose coil. If wrong it will try to twist . If twisted flip over spool (lettering down ) and crank on twenty more turns. Relax and line should sltay in loose coil . Once correct direction is found spool away try to leave some room at the edge of the reel spool as you wont be casting on the hard water. Hope that helps.
Thanks again. I respooled with Berkley micro ice, added a swivel between my floro leader and pulled line out with my drag.i also paid attention to my line as I spun it on from the spool. No coils in my line and no bait twirling it as great. Just could t stay long enough to catch the eve walleye bite, my boy dunked himself in a hole and it was time to go
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM

Glad to hear that worked out for you. Best of luck with the fishing.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:10 AM

If you do use mono to load your reel onto a spinning reel - just lay the the spool on the floor label side up. Make sure it doesn't flip over when you reeling in. Keep some tension on the line (guiding the line with some resistance) by pinching the line and letting it slide through your fingers at the last guide while reeling in with the other hand.

OR

Just buy a center pin ice reel ......
Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If you do use mono to load your reel onto a spinning reel - just lay the the spool on the floor label side up. Make sure it doesn't flip over when you reeling in. Keep some tension on the line (guiding the line with some resistance) by pinching the line and letting it slide through your fingers at the last guide while reeling in with the other hand.

OR

Just buy a center pin ice reel ......
Your system works with SOME spinning reels, but others need you to place the label down to coil on the right way. Thus the need to check for twisting after you spool on a few turns. As you say too, loading the line with some tension is always a good idea.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Your system works with SOME spinning reels, but others need you to place the label down to coil on the right way. Thus the need to check for twisting after you spool on a few turns. As you say too, loading the line with some tension is always a good idea.
I think it has more to do with which direction the spool is wound, rather than the reel itself.

Give it a few cranks, then lower your rod tip towards the spool. If the line starts to coil up bad just flip the spool over and you should be good to go

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I think it has more to do with which direction the spool is wound, rather than the reel itself.

Give it a few cranks, then lower your rod tip towards the spool. If the line starts to coil up bad just flip the spool over and you should be good to go
Quote:
You might be right - I only buy two manufacturers brands of mono lines - maybe some other manufacturers spool it the other (opposite) way??? For these brands it's "label up" every time I've done it.

The only thing I spool up is light mono ( 4 or 6 lb ) for ice fishing perch, trout or whites - I'm pretty much braid all the way for everything else (with a fluorocarbon leader).

Good call.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM

I bought a Berkely Jumpstart combo pack this year with 2 rods and it came with Berkley Triline Cold Weather and Berkley Fireline Micro Ice. Both seem pretty good as far as not icing up and low memory, although it has not been below -10c when I went out. I would say Cold Weather is better though.