Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Then there's the guys that run around and tell everyone they have "exclusive" permission. When in fact the opposite is true & is yet another way to pee off a landowner.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 AM

I agree with you gray wolf if you have stands in a area that is classified as your area you dont want some other hunters walking in and out of your stand area and spooking all of the deer. Any avid bow hunter knows that the less actvity in one area the better for keeping the animals in their
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 AM

The new guy DID ask the right person... the owner. He gave permission. You will have to live with it. Perhaps the owner was unaware you staked an exclusive claim to his land and installed stands and cameras. Perhaps you should have told him that he wasn't to let anyone else on. Just a thought.

Just teasing... sort of LOL
Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 AM

I don't think he said he assumes exclusive access. 99% of us would not hang a stand near an existing setup, common sense, courtesy, safety, lots of reasons. Why would you want to go into a stand to have another guy come in there in the dark and be making noise, scent, arguing with you. A few hundred yards away, ok. Sounds like you have a real azz on your hands, either get in early and hope he doesn't show up, or move your stand a bit farther away if it's a great spot, or bail altogether. Or if you are a group, confront him together and try to reason with him and come to a compromise.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Bow, I didn't read that he set up a stand near one of their stands. I thought it said he set up his stand near one of their cameras (which he may not have originally even seen when this all started), so safety not a real issue. If you figure the number of stands and cameras they had, and then say he has to be hundreds of yards away from any of them, well sounds like they would have much of the property off limits then.

Best piece of advice I heard so far here was to definitely leave the owner out of it once you found the other guy had permission. Any bitching or hassle and he may just say "Oh to hell with it, everyone out!"
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM

I'd say dont worry about it at all....seems this has been blown out of proportion. The guy hasnt buggered up a hunt for you, and we cant assume that he ever will.

He hung his stands close....thats not a problem. In fact, its better than using yours when you're not there. Its a good spot obviously, and he has the right to hunt it just as much as you do. I dont think he has done anything wrong, and hasnt even done anything that I would consider rude. Maybe he plans on hunting in the weekdays and is hoping that you wont hunt the area. Maybe if he sees you hunting one day he'll bugger off and leave you be since you got there first......heck I think its no different than ground hunting. If I see someone in a spot I wanted to hunt, then that person gets that spot that day....but if I'm in there first, then I would like to think they'd move on that day. Doesnt mean I woud expect the spot to be mine for good...

Either way....guess thast the fun part about hunting a good area on private ground. If the landowner lets people on and its not a huge peice, you're going to expect that you'll be hunting in close proximity of others. As long as some common sense is used, I think you two could end up hunting the same area and never bother eachother.....
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I'd say dont worry about it at all....seems this has been blown out of proportion. The guy hasnt buggered up a hunt for you, and we cant assume that he ever will.

He hung his stands close....thats not a problem. In fact, its better than using yours when you're not there. Its a good spot obviously, and he has the right to hunt it just as much as you do. I dont think he has done anything wrong, and hasnt even done anything that I would consider rude. Maybe he plans on hunting in the weekdays and is hoping that you wont hunt the area. Maybe if he sees you hunting one day he'll bugger off and leave you be since you got there first......heck I think its no different than ground hunting. If I see someone in a spot I wanted to hunt, then that person gets that spot that day....but if I'm in there first, then I would like to think they'd move on that day. Doesnt mean I woud expect the spot to be mine for good...

Either way....guess thast the fun part about hunting a good area on private ground. If the landowner lets people on and its not a huge peice, you're going to expect that you'll be hunting in close proximity of others. As long as some common sense is used, I think you two could end up hunting the same area and never bother eachother.....
X2

You've got the guy's contact info, maybe you can reach an agreement where you park in the same spot so you'll know if there's someone already there. First come, first serve. If he's a reasonable guy he'll agree. We've run into this in the past and handled it this way. Definately agree with leaving the landowner out of it. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Same situation

I had a similar encounter, BUT this hunter had the courtesy to call me when he saw the tree stand. ( he got contact info from land owner )

We then agreed to call the other when we planned on hunting those stands.

Your in a tough spot with the land owner and I agree with other members, best to sort it out between the two of you, even if the guy is an idiot.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM

Well put rack! I have hunted areas with MANY people hunting the same ground....and been very successful, sometimes that success comes from a blunder of those other people....

Regardless, before you pack up and move on, play it out for a couple hunts....it just may work out with-out an issue....
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Well because I shared my hunting spots with a board member, he now is a proud owner of a mule deer doe. That area that I shared with him is one of my best hunting spots, and I was glad I helped him out.

Very few hunters on here share there hunting spots and give them directions to the hunting spots (and print them on this board), but I am 1 of the few that do. I shared my hunting spots with 4 hunters from this board this year, and that is all for this year.

Now I pm my info to those 4 hunters.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
50BMG

Last edited by 50BMG; 10-19-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM

OK, here's a bit of a curve ball, but where I bow hunt it is primarily scrag bush. There are only a couple of aspen stands avaliable in order to place stands, and not all trees are viable candidates for stands. Maybe the guy had no choice in his stand placement due to both sucess and safety reasons.

Avid, don't give up on your spot of 10 years because of one guy! You have too much effort into it. We had a new guy come into our place this past season and we either made up a schedual with him, or it was first come first serve. Leave the landowner out of it, and try to get everyone to play nice and things will find a way of working themselves out!

Tree
Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Default ethics?

Seems like your dealing with a person with no common sense or courtesy, he dosn't get the point that you guys were there first. So treat him like he treated you , surround his stand with all of your stands ,hell, put your stand in the same tree he is using, and say " theres enough room for all of us". Take up all the spots for parking, if the place is worth it don't give up without a fight, maybe a fight is in order. What happens in the field stays in the field. Unfortunetly this is quite common occurance ,I would make sure that he isn't related to the land owner first.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
Seems like your dealing with a person with no common sense or courtesy, he dosn't get the point that you guys were there first. So treat him like he treated you , surround his stand with all of your stands ,hell, put your stand in the same tree he is using, and say " theres enough room for all of us". Take up all the spots for parking, if the place is worth it don't give up without a fight, maybe a fight is in order. What happens in the field stays in the field. Unfortunetly this is quite common occurance ,I would make sure that he isn't related to the land owner first.
HAHAHA.....oh ya.....that sounds like common sense and courtesy there.....'treat him like he treated you' and 'maybe a fight is in order'.....
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Default ethic's?

Cooler heads prevail today, my post yesterday is NOT the answer to this problem, it just bother's me terribly that some hunters will do such a-ho** things without even batting an eye. While I was watching a tree line for deer a guy walked past me and stood by the bale in-front of me. On a sheep hunt we had walked for about an hour, looked back down the trail, two guys were running toward my partner and I, it was still dark so they couldn't have spotted any rams, we wanted to ask where they were heading so that all of us didn't end up in the same basin, they ran past us , wouldn't talk, well we all ended up sitting in the same basin,our hunt was ruined and there hunt was ruined. Best to work out some arrangement , sounds like you guys know the area good, odds are in your favor. I will not edit my first comment, thats the way I felt at the time.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Ethics

I'm with graywolf on this, first come first served.