Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Take A Vet Fishing

My fellow forum members;
Some of us have started a program called Take A Vet Fishing in partnership with Soldier On and SAWT. Our goal is to get our military veterans from Afghanistan that have permanent disabilities out on the water with fishermen such as yourself , So they to can enjoy this wonderful sport we all love. All equipment and supplies are being donated by forum members and Businesses around our communities. We will be entering the veterans in the upcoming SAWT tournament on Travers Reservoir May 15 & 16 , 2010

Champion Technologies and there representative David Jess have donated the use of there BBQ for the weekend of the event , As well they stepped up in a big way and donated the funds needed to pay the veterans entry fee’s. Rob Viala, Owner of Osprey Fishing Supplies, has donated 4 Amundson Team Pro Combo, rods and reels to all veterans entered in the tournament and will be there’s to keep after said event. The members of SAWT will be putting on a function for the participants in the tournament , Accommodations have been provided by Alberta Outdoorsmen members, such as use of their RV’s, trailers and tents for the weekend.. It has been decided that any and all winnings will go directly to the veterans

We would like to send the veterans away with a small tackle box and some basic Walleye gear. Anything else you may think of will be greatly appreciated. We would only ask that anyone giving please give 4 of the same items so we can evenly distribute between the boxes. Below is just some suggestions that you may want to donate. We have volunteers that will allow donations to be dropped off at there homes or we are more than willing to pick them up as well.

Tackle Boxes (4 needed)
Bottom Bouncers – all different sizes
Walleye Spinners for bottom bouncers
Spinner Holders
Lindy Rigs
Jigs
Pliers
Line
Perhaps a “Donate your favorite walleye set up”

We will be looking for local businesses and volunteers to donate food and basic items needed for the weekend , Any suggestions or donations you may have will help immensely. Again we have volunteers that will allow donations to be dropped off or we are more than willing to pick them up.

There are many more I have not listed here that have contributed in one way or another , Myself and all involved would like to thank you for everything you have done.

This is a great idea dedicated to a wonderful cause. I am positive that the same people I have had the pleasure of meeting and corresponding with on this forum will get behind it 100%. There has been some interest by some media groups that we are all very familiar with on doing a story about this event. I believe we may have a reporter from a major hunting and fishing magazine attending the event with us with the purpose of doing a story.

Please feel free to send me an email or PM with any donations or even just questions or suggestions that you may have.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing

Last edited by jts1; 04-21-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Smile

Great post Jeff.

The core volunteers for this project got together last night and we went over all aspects of how this was going to take place and just what we needed. Our meeting last night was very productive. As Jeff stated we already have some fantastic things in place for these guys.

We do want to make sure these guys each go away with a full set up of fishing rods/reels and takle boxes full of gear that they can keep when it's all over. That is one reason I donated the the Amundson Team Pro Combo sets to them.

I am in Dalhousie in the NW, and work in the Foothills Industrial. So at any given day I am on both ends of the city. I will be happy to pick up any donations if there are people who can't get out. Or if someone wants to drop them off they can drop them at one of our homes.

My address is
5704 Dalcastle Cres, NW

Rob
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Alberta Outdoorsmen Take A Vet Fishing

My fellow forum members;

Some of us have started a program called Take A Vet Fishing in partnership with Soldier On and SAWT. Our goal is to get our military veterans from Afghanistan that have permanent disabilities out on the water with fishermen such as yourself , So they to can enjoy this wonderful sport we all love. All equipment and supplies are being donated by forum members and Businesses around our communities. We will be entering the veterans in the upcoming SAWT tournament on Travers Reservoir May 15 & 16 , 2010

Champion Technologies and there representative David Jess have donated the use of there BBQ for the weekend of the event , As well they stepped up in a big way and donated the funds needed to pay the veterans entry fee’s. Rob Viala, Owner of Osprey Fishing Supplies, has donated 4 Amundson Team Pro Combo, rods and reels to all veterans entered in the tournament and will be there’s to keep after said event. The members of SAWT will be putting on a function for the participants in the tournament , Accommodations have been provided by Alberta Outdoorsmen members, such as use of their RV’s, trailers and tents for the weekend.. It has been decided that any and all winnings will go directly to the veterans

We would like to send the veterans away with a small tackle box and some basic Walleye gear. Anything else you may think of will be greatly appreciated. We would only ask that anyone giving please give 4 of the same items so we can evenly distribute between the boxes. Below is just some suggestions that you may want to donate. We have volunteers that will allow donations to be dropped off at there homes or we are more than willing to pick them up as well.

Tackle Boxes (4 needed)
Spinner Holders
Lindy Rigs
Jigs
Pliers
Line

We will be looking for local businesses and volunteers to donate food and basic items needed for the weekend , Any suggestions or donations you may have will help immensely. Again we have volunteers that will allow donations to be dropped off or we are more than willing to pick them up.

There are many more I have not listed here that have contributed in one way or another , Myself and all involved would like to thank you for everything you have done.

This is a great idea dedicated to a wonderful cause. I am positive that the same people I have had the pleasure of meeting and corresponding with on this forum will get behind it 100%. There has been some interest by some media groups that we are all very familiar with on doing a story about this event. I believe we may have a reporter from a major hunting and fishing magazine attending the event with us with the purpose of doing a story.

Please feel free to send me an email or PM with any donations or even just questions or suggestions that you may have.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm available to pick up any contributions from the NE of Calgary and will come out to Strathmore area also.

People can drop off stuff at my house in Saddleridge as well.

-Adam
Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 PM

I am in Airdrie so anything out this way I can get. I will have all contact information for anyone willing to pick up stuff or have someone drop something off. Please post any interest

Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Great Job you guys! I am going to be talking with my employer to see what type of donation we can receive from them.
Keep up the great work you guys and I am looking forward to seeing the great out come
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM

Default NW Drop Off

I too will accept anything from anyone in the NW and see that it gets into the tackle boxes. I live in Rocky Ridge, fire me a message and I will come by and grab anything someone might be able pitch in or I can give you my address for a drop off.

Looking forard to the great weekend.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Great idea but when I first read the title I was wondering why I should take a veterinarian fishing.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM

being ex soldier i would like to help anyway that i can .. let me know what i can do
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 AM

I really thought you guys would be behind this.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Thank you for your intrest , I will send you a PM with some ideas later today.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Afghanistan injured war vets fishing

For those interested in the Soldier-On veterans that we are taking out fishing, here is the link:

http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

These veterans have been wounded in action and all have permanent injuries (confined to a wheelchair, amputees)...This is our way of saying thank you for your sacrfice...

I've seen some of the items donated and I would like to say thanks on behalf of the group collecting, espically the items that came from Edmonton within hours of the posting...It would be also great that during the fishing tourneyment members of this forum stop in and say hello to these veterans..
Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Board Problems?

I don't know what is going on but yesterday about supper time there were quite a few responses to your post. Everyone was supportive and encouraging. I don't know where they went - maybe you should contact one of the mods.

I just found the responses - they are all on the fishing forum. I guess that is to be expected when you post on two forums. Look for you responses there.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here

Last edited by TrollGRG; 04-22-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: found the problem
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM

Thank you. Yes we are aware of the posts there. Guess I was just looking for more of a responce is all. Again thank you

Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM

If you have a letter of some sort that you could take into places like the fishing hole , bass pro shops. you may be able to get everything that you would ever want. But in order for the big corporations to donate they need a letter for head office.
I have done lots of fund raising for schools and other groups in the past and most places are more than happy to help.
If someone has a letter send it to me and I will take it around and see what I can get.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Hey jts1
I own a fly in only camp along with my 2 cousins on a lake in north central Sask. What do you think about arranging to take a few vets up there in the next year or so. I could supply the camp and boats. We would have to find funding for the flight (about $425/person round trip from Otter Lake) food and arrange transportation up to Otter lake. I could probably supply the boat gas as well. Let me know what you think. There are a few pictures of the camp in my AO album.

alpineguy
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Hey Jeff

Are you guys part of the organization called; "Project Healing Waters Canada"? Link; http://projecthealingwaters.ca/

Here's an old AO thread from last year that talks about it ... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=30240

TF
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up

This group, 'Take A Vet Fishing', and others like it (regarless of the type of fishing involvled), are making a big difference for Vets, in both Canada and the US.

Take some time to watch this vid ... it's an excellent representation of what fishing groups like this and others can do to help our returning Vets recover; http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3905245

TF
Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
My fellow forum members;

Tackle Boxes (4 needed)
Spinner Holders
Lindy Rigs
Jigs
Pliers
Line

Yesterday was the fiirst day of my AHEIA Fishing Education Class. I have seventeen registered students. I brought in a ton of gear to show them; in the process of going through the assorted fishing supplies, I realized that I have a couple of bags of floating jig heads, in-line floats, and beads that I will probably never use. (They are all brand new) I would be happy to send it to you as a donation towards this worthy cause. I am not sure how much there is, but I am pretty sure there is somewhere between 40-80 floating jig heads of various sizes/colours and at least as many in line floats. If possible I would like to send them to the nearest F&W office (free courier service) in your name so that you may pick them up.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 AM

I am sorry to have to announce that the event on Travers will be pushed back to a later date. It seems that some of the issues are not going to be worked out in time for said event. If we had started the event process a month or so earlier all these issues would have been. This is in no way a nail in our events coffin or in our volunteers hearts. This will go on , unfortunately just not at Travers.

Our volunteers are just as committed and the response we have received from you the forum members and the general public has been outstanding. So I encourage you to keep your hearts full and your spirits high for these veterans. We will be all out on the water together shortly.

As for anyone that had offered a donation I will be keeping your contact info. Once I post an update on or next event I hope that we can still work together. I will post an update as soon as I get it.

And again I would like to thank everyone who got involved. You are the reason that an event like this is going to be possible. My hats off to you all.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

This group, 'Take A Vet Fishing', and others like it (regarless of the type of fishing involvled), are making a big difference for Vets, in both Canada and the US.

Take some time to watch this vid ... it's an excellent representation of what fishing groups like this and others can do to help our returning Vets recover; http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3905245

TF

Please note:

Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Canada is not associated with 'Take a Vet Fishing' in any way. Please note also, the images above are images from the Project Healing Waters program, and do not hold any bearing nor do they represent in any way the 'Take a Vet Fishing' group.

Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Canada is currently supporting over a dozen Veterans in Edmonton, and across the country. We provide fly fishing education, fly-tying and camaraderie as a means to combat the effects of PTSD and Physical injury. We are a registered charitable organization in Canada, and have been working for several years to be able to provide service to our Veterans, and others who have been injured in service to their nation or community.

I would be happy to respond to any questions regarding Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Canada, either via the forums, or by email.

- Greg

Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM

The events we have tried to get organized have been faced with many doors. Most of them being shut , It is a huge task. I am sure that with persistence the events will continue. It is just a matter of a few more steps to become another one of the wonderful programs out there such as Healing Waters.

Healing Waters is a top notch group of guys. Some of have offered there help and assisted in the starting of this program. But as posted earlier They are a different group all together , Take a Vet Fishing can only hope to one day be doing such wonderful things as professionally as Healing Waters.

I would like to thank everyone who has donated there time and resources. It is people such as yourself that make this world a great place to live. But as it will take time to have the proper preparation for an event I am going to ask that this sticky be deleted so not to down play Healing Waters in anyway. For anyone who had contacted me with suggestions or wanting to get involved I have put together a contact list and will keep you posted. Again I thank all of you. Remember just one person can make a difference in someones life.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
The events we have tried to get organized have been faced with many doors. Most of them being shut , It is a huge task. I am sure that with persistence the events will continue. It is just a matter of a few more steps to become another one of the wonderful programs out there such as Healing Waters.

Healing Waters is a top notch group of guys. Some of have offered there help and assisted in the starting of this program. But as posted earlier They are a different group all together , Take a Vet Fishing can only hope to one day be doing such wonderful things as professionally as Healing Waters.

I would like toeveryone who has donated there time and resources. It is people such as yourself that make this world a great place to live. But as it will take time to ha ve the proper preparation for an event I am going to ask that this sticky be deleted so not to down play Healing Waters in anyway. For anyone who had contacted me with suggestions or wanting to get involved I have put together a contact list and will keep you posted. Again I thank all of you. Remember just one person can make a difference in someones life.
I even emailed the Royal Canadian Legion but nothing . went to speak to the lady at our local branch . We Cant give up on this . Wonder if talking to the Family resource centre if they would have someone who could point us in the right direction . These men and women deserve something special . after sacrificing so much . There are several of us on this forum who are trying to make this work .
Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Att mods

Please delete thread......

Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 AM

Little shocked the mods have not respected your request to close this thread. As I hope u know JTS, if if if I had the coin and time and means to give, I would. Kinda stinx though, I woulda thought more support woulda/coulda/shoulda been offered by those that DO have the means.
It was a geat idea
Cheers.