Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Default Bear baiters

a while back, someone mentioned that they would be willing to split the cost of bait for someone looking to poke a bear. i was kind of hoping to set up a bait myself, but living so far away it just isnt looking promising....especially with fuel going up on a daily basis. if the guy who first posted that offer could send me a pm that would be sweet.....or anyone else who might be interested. honestly, im not really looking to kill one myself, but my better half wants to get one with her bow. thanks.

dale
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Dale, I have a bait you could sit on when the season heats up. I just wouldn't want to disapoint with not having any larger bears on it. Last year the big guys didnt show up, but had lots of under 18'' action.

Consider me as a plan B
Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

that would be super cool steve. robin isnt gonna be too fussy on size or anything.....she just wants one with her bow. i appreciate the offer man.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

I also am in this situation, I got all my barrels ready and now with work and the season dissapearing in a hurry for the zones near me, it really dosnt look like me setting my own baits is in the question. I have worked so hard prepping for this season and would love a chance to kill a bear with my bow. I'm not picky as to a size I just want the experience, I have a barrel with about 90 litters of deep fryer grease that I will give to someone nice enough to help me out and also have a line on as much beef scraps as you would like, and barrels to use if I could get them back for next year. It's places like AO that make peoples dreams come true and if there is anything I can help others with I am more than willing
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archercurt View Post
I also am in this situation, I got all my barrels ready and now with work and the season dissapearing in a hurry for the zones near me, it really dosnt look like me setting my own baits is in the question. I have worked so hard prepping for this season and would love a chance to kill a bear with my bow. I'm not picky as to a size I just want the experience, I have a barrel with about 90 litters of deep fryer grease that I will give to someone nice enough to help me out and also have a line on as much beef scraps as you would like, and barrels to use if I could get them back for next year. It's places like AO that make peoples dreams come true and if there is anything I can help others with I am more than willing

Came into this very situation a week ago. With a wedding in mexico and bachelor party there isnt much time now. I sold my barrels on kijiji for a bit of a loss to a first time bear hunter. Going to try my first spot and stock in the slave lake area now. Hopefully I can get on a bear at the end of may.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM

I was the one that originally started a thread about possibly getting some help/ money to help run a bait! However after a week or so of getting bombarded by ridiculous accusations i decided it maybe wasn't such a good idea anymore!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

crappy deal buck......but i bet i know who said what. it sucks that a guy cant make an offer to help someone without the silliness getting wound up. what you offered wasnt a get rich quick scheme by any means. you were just looking to split some costs and someone could have gotten to go bear hunting in a way that otherwise they might not be able to. good on you to make the offer.

there was a guy last year made a similar offer and was run outta here for things he did in the past. from what was reported, everyone who went hunting with him had a great time, and clearly it was legit. i cant defend his past actions, but i commend him for that gesture.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Would like to help you out ISB, but i am already doing a couple for another AO member. I missed the problem thread that you guys are talking about but I see nothing wrong with helping a guy out. I am in the foothills others are in the prairies, Enjoy it all.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Default Barrels

Alot of guys from down south in the same boat, wanna shoot a bear with the bow but no chance to set baits. We are heading up later this month but will just try spot and stalk. If anyone needs bait barrels we have a bunch of 45 gal drums at work. Let me know if interested and may be able to drop off when we head north,not sure where exactly we're headin yet.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleguide View Post
Alot of guys from down south in the same boat, wanna shoot a bear with the bow but no chance to set baits. We are heading up later this month but will just try spot and stalk. If anyone needs bait barrels we have a bunch of 45 gal drums at work. Let me know if interested and may be able to drop off when we head north,not sure where exactly we're headin yet.
Some of us drive the 6-7 hrs and do it ourselves! Depends how bad the "Southerner" wants to hunt bear I guess. It is not a cheap enterprise for those of us that live in the South, that is for certain. But I have been doing it for near a decade!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
a while back, someone mentioned that they would be willing to split the cost of bait for someone looking to poke a bear. i was kind of hoping to set up a bait myself, but living so far away it just isnt looking promising....especially with fuel going up on a daily basis. if the guy who first posted that offer could send me a pm that would be sweet.....or anyone else who might be interested. honestly, im not really looking to kill one myself, but my better half wants to get one with her bow. thanks.

dale
Yup,nothing like Living in the desert of Canada .A Work Camp is all that Medicine Hat is....

Unless we are going For Giant Muledeer or antelope,the average hunter From Medicine Hat is doing some Traveling to Hunt Trophy Animals.

Imagine if we lived where we hunted whitetails!!!! OOOOGGAAA!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
Some of us drive the 6-7 hrs and do it ourselves! Depends how bad the "Southerner" wants to hunt bear I guess. It is not a cheap enterprise for those of us that live in the South, that is for certain. But I have been doing it for near a decade!
Thats great, I wasn't complaining. Personally I'd rather spot and stalk than sit over a bait but to each his own. Good luck all, we're heading out in the am.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleguide View Post
Thats great, I wasn't complaining. Personally I'd rather spot and stalk than sit over a bait but to each his own. Good luck all, we're heading out in the am.
Good on ya mate!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
I spent one Spring driving up to west of Rocky, twice a week, doing my share to service a bait. My son did have an opportunity at a bear, but the killer was, my wife spotted one, right in front of our house, while I was up there. Poo Pood her story, as a sick joke, at first, but several neighbors saw it, as well.

Grizz
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Got some good action at my bait now, seen three blacks and a beauty cinnamon this weekend. Maybe having a buddy take his first bear off it this weekend. Then if you can make it up Dale shes all yours.

Cell phone pic from the stand.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Nice pic Steve.
What do you have in the wooden box that is attached to the tree with the red ratchet strap?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Nice pic Steve.
What do you have in the wooden box that is attached to the tree with the red ratchet strap?
One of nube's homemade Tcams, I will have some pics to post in a week or so.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Cell phone pic from the stand.

Not to hijack the thread, but for us inexperienced bait hunters, can you describe what we see in the picture? Obviously, I know what a bear is, and you said the wood box is a trail cam, but what about the other box? I guessing beaver, by the other threads i read about bear hunting on.

Did you place the big logs around the sight? Why, if so? Do all your blue barrels have a big hole in them like the one under the bear? Or why is it soo big? There is a thick branch stuck in the hole at the top of the barrel. Again, you did this? Why? is that oats the bear is sitting on and all around him? What's with the log at the very top of the picture, lashed to the tree for?

Just curious. Thanks!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbyheart View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but for us inexperienced bait hunters, can you describe what we see in the picture? Obviously, I know what a bear is, and you said the wood box is a trail cam, but what about the other box? I guessing beaver, by the other threads i read about bear hunting on.

Did you place the big logs around the sight? Why, if so? Do all your blue barrels have a big hole in them like the one under the bear? Or why is it soo big? There is a thick branch stuck in the hole at the top of the barrel. Again, you did this? Why? is that oats the bear is sitting on and all around him? What's with the log at the very top of the picture, lashed to the tree for?

Just curious. Thanks!!!
The logs are piled on the barrels before a trail cam is put in place to tell if the bait has been hit or not, they also make the bears work for there meal and could keep them on site longer as it takes them time to remove the logs to get to the bait. The barrels have different sizes of holes. The one with the big hole is for the meat scraps, some of the other barrels have holes as small as 1 inch and filled the grain and oats. Small hole stops the bears from shoveling the bait out of a big hole and also saves some bait. The branch in the top of the barrel is just for fun. The thick branch in btw the two large trees is a ridge pole. Mount a beaver in the beaver box or a pail and mount it in the center of the pole to keep the bears from coming in and just stealing the beaver. The bait is a mixture of alot of things! Steve will tell you his recipe if he would like. Might be his secret thou!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks Rigby!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbyheart View Post
Thanks Rigby!
No probs! Good luck out there!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

thats awesome steve....thanks for thinking about me. we will have to talk soon.