Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Exclamation 1000 Club

I have the worst memory, so just over coffee this morning i remembered i still haven't gotten the required pics sent in to Chet to complete the P&Y entry of this years muley buck which we scored i think in Jan sometime, and then got to wondering if i made it into the unofficial official 1000 Club with my 6 P&Y deer even though your allowed 7?....i remembered i would need a net 174 something to do it but after checking i netted 172 3/8 on a gross 187 7/8 so that puts me 998 3/8" net on the 6 deer.....so not in the 1000 club yet but solid in the 900 club if the whitetail guys would accept 6 muley's with archery tackle lol.

So a recap for the 1000 club, its a bowhunters club, its unofficially official much the same the 900 club is, it allows 7 deer either species which must net minimum P&Y standards....a 124 7/8" net whitetail does not count towards the 1000 club....has to be a P&Y deer to count.

Alberta could be the perfect place to fire up such a club imo but i think its set up well for North American hunters period as you need average of 143 net to get in and in whitetail only areas that means you need some solid deer (not just barely p&y) and in muley areas it gets easier per deer as any p&y muley counts but overall mule deer volume should be much lower than whitetails so i think the numbers are set up well to cover the continent.

So my next P&Y deer i'm in, and who knows, i might get a 174-ish net at some point and do it with 6 but either way would be good start working towards the 2000 club. (wonder if we have any 2000 club members here, i can think of one guy that would be aweful close right now)

Would love to see a bunch of accomplished AO members with '1000 Club Member' in their signatures....i know there are several of you already here, wish i could put it in my signature right now but have to wait until i get one more P&Y deer.

What do you think AO, can we get the word out? Sound like a worthy goal for dedicated trophy bowhunters?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Go get em' Stinky!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Default 1000 club, just wondering?

i have not heard much about this, never payed to much attention? so you need 7 deer, so 7 whitetails or 7 mule deer, with net scores that equal 1000 to get in? obviously with archery tackle, each deer has to be above the minimum p&y net scores? i would be interested in this as i could see myself being very close to mark for mule deer.

info? thanks.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Im right on approx 840 gross inches on 5 head, mules. I have whitetails but no go on P&Y. Man Im always just a hair behind on everything LOL! Good job Stinky, gonna be watching for ya this fall.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

you got it brewski, 7 deer, any combination of whitetail/mule deer or all one species, must meet p&y net minimums, and yes on the bowhunting only club....the rifle guys have the 900 club for whitetails, i took the idea and ran with it coming up with the 1000 club, realistic and doable but not easy, it would take many years of dedicated trophy hunting with bow to get in....kind of a long term reward imo

pack, same for me on whitetails, no P&Y yet, i have a 7x4 that nets about 1 7/8" off with a 143 gross and no browtines, then have three 5x5's all grossing near what they should be netting if they want in this club, then the little 4x i shot last year for sausage so my overall gross bone with archery tackle is somewhere around 1670" for both species, the muleys gross 1056 1/8" the rest in non-p&y whitetails, but only the muleys make the grade for this club...got to have standards i figure, i have been trying to pull off a whitetail, maybe this year
Old 05-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Do Blacktails count? If so I am at 246 with 2 deer. Another 20 years or so and I should catch up to you...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

coming up with 1000 net over 7 deer means average needs to be 143" so 7 whitetails that make p&y minimums might not get you in if they are all 130" net you only get to 910, and just coming up with 7 p&y muleys might be a challenge in itself but assures your in the club....so the way i see it is in high whitetail areas where guys kill tons in their life all over the continent, they need to get better than just barely pope to get in the club, some truely good whitetails need to be in the mix to push you over the 1000 mark, the type of deer dedicated trophy hunters will hold out for year in and year out.....so it seems to me it would work continent wide, lots of folks have no choice but to go for it whitetails only so i think i set a reasonable, doable but still difficult goal to get into this club no matter what mix of deer you can hit it with
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Do Blacktails count? If so I am at 246 with 2 deer. Another 20 years or so and I should catch up to you...
why not lol, and coues (spelling), now that would be a feather in a cap, to hit the 1000 club and have a blacktail or coues in the mix! pretty cool imo but i say why not, any of the whitetail/muley variants should be allowed

any north american p&y deer! (how many species are there? am i missing any to consider?)

i'm so close with muleys that a p&y coues or blacktail would get me there so heck yeah, its a recognized bowhunting trophy deer so it goes towards showing the dedication etc. so heck yeah, they are in
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Default 1000 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
you got it brewski, 7 deer, any combination of whitetail/mule deer or all one species, must meet p&y net minimums, and yes on the bowhunting only club....the rifle guys have the 900 club for whitetails, i took the idea and ran with it coming up with the 1000 club, realistic and doable but not easy, it would take many years of dedicated trophy hunting with bow to get in....kind of a long term reward imo

pack, same for me on whitetails, no P&Y yet, i have a 7x4 that nets about 1 7/8" off with a 143 gross and no browtines, then have three 5x5's all grossing near what they should be netting if they want in this club, then the little 4x i shot last year for sausage so my overall gross bone with archery tackle is somewhere around 1670" for both species, the muleys gross 1056 1/8" the rest in non-p&y whitetails, but only the muleys make the grade for this club...got to have standards i figure, i have been trying to pull off a whitetail, maybe this year

this is great im probaly going to pull my score sheet tonight i will likely be somewhere in the 825-875 range i bet, i have 4-5 p&y mulies, not sure on one i may to remeasure, and 2 whitetails that score over 150, i have never joined a bowhunting club, probaly should have awhile ago, definatly interested in doing it though.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
any north american p&y deer! (how many species are there? am i missing any to consider?)
Should just be 5: MD, WTD, Coues WTD, BTD, and Sitka BTD.

IIRC the minimum on BTD is 90, SBTD is 75(?) and Coues is 70.

Whoops, just looked at P&Y, and it appears that BTD is now 95. Well it was 90 when I got it, and it was entered, so I am still counting it!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Should just be 5: MD, WTD, Coues WTD, BTD, and Sitka BTD.

IIRC the minimum on BTD is 90, SBTD is 75(?) and Coues is 70.

Whoops, just looked at P&Y, and it appears that BTD is now 95. Well it was 90 when I got it, and it was entered, so I am still counting it!
absolutely! i would too, i gotta hunt more out of this province, we have it good but still some cool stuff not far from home a guy should try and get after
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski View Post
this is great im probaly going to pull my score sheet tonight i will likely be somewhere in the 825-875 range i bet, i have 4-5 p&y mulies, not sure on one i may to remeasure, and 2 whitetails that score over 150, i have never joined a bowhunting club, probaly should have awhile ago, definatly interested in doing it though.
right on, this club is unofficially official, its sort of in its infancy but hopefully it catches on in the bowhunting circles, maybe i need to start a website where members can be listed and awards of sorts are given out? hmmm
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Default members

Quote:
right on, this club is unofficially official, its sort of in its infancy but hopefully it catches on in the bowhunting circles, maybe i need to start a website where members can be listed and awards of sorts are given out? hmmm

sounds like a great idea to me, let me know what you come up with stinky....
Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Stinky, do the deer have to be taken consecutively, or can you pick and choose your 7 from a lifetime of bowhunting?

I'm obviously not speaking about myself!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 PM

looks like you've got all of us checking our score sheets .. I sit at 924 with 6 deer and one is only a 127" whitetail .. thanx for the thread ..
Old 05-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Stinky, are you a member of ABA or SABA? I was thinking that this may be a good way to make the "officially unofficial 1000 club".... wait, or was it the "unofficially official 1000 club" more official.... is anyone else confused?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Stinky, do the deer have to be taken consecutively, or can you pick and choose your 7 from a lifetime of bowhunting?

I'm obviously not speaking about myself!
Lifetime!

7 P&Y bucks (or less) that can push over 1000 net lifetime is great achievement imo, no matter how long it takes to get. I guess the potential is there to take a whitetail and mule deer each season and if a guy was lucky enough 3 seasons in a row he could get in with 6....i imagine the odds are pretty low of that. I've been at bowhunting since 02 or 03 season, so its going to take me at least 9-ish seasons to get in and i've had a pretty good run with 6 muleys in a row.

Sure wouldn't expect everyone else to have that sort of luck. Maybe i don't get a deer next year that qualifies, i am getting fussier afterall. I don't think i'll pass a p&y whitetail regardless though, it may take a couple of those before i get as fussy on them as i'm getting with mule deer.

And the beauty is if you surpass the 1000 club you start working towards the 2000 club....and i'm betting there are some guys out there might even get into the 3000 club...maybe like Stan Potts the whitetail freak or Chuck Adams who has plenty of several species i'm sure etc.?

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 05-20-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
looks like you've got all of us checking our score sheets .. I sit at 924 with 6 deer and one is only a 127" whitetail .. thanx for the thread ..
You and I are sittin pretty for this club! Nice work! I did bring this up awhile ago, pretty sure there's approx. half dozen forum members that make the grade, one more poper for us and we are in too.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Stinky, are you a member of ABA or SABA? I was thinking that this may be a good way to make the "officially unofficial 1000 club".... wait, or was it the "unofficially official 1000 club" more official.... is anyone else confused?
No sorry, i'm not. Just plain jane Alberta Resident hunter, i'm very ambidextrous about my tools, guns, bows, love it all but not one enough to really go hardcore...i'm hardcore hunt period.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

i like it stink. all the unofficial clubs....900....700....now 1000.... to me that seems like more of an accomplishment to have consistent success than to find a miracle once. there are a lot of meat hunters in record books who happened to get lucky. there is nothing wrong with that, but i personally have more satisfaction in doing it every year.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

whats the 700 again? man my memory is something else i tell ya
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
whats the 700 again? man my memory is something else i tell ya
4 mules net scoring over 700....any weapon. same as 900 club, either typical or non typ score may be used....whichever is higher based on percentage of book minimum. for example, a 200 inch net non typ would be 86.95% of (B&C) book, and the net typ score of the same buck was 172 it would be 90.53% of book. the typ score would then have to be used for the total.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

oh yeah, thanks

sounds like these three clubs could cover north america trophy deer hunting pretty well!

i'm close to the 700 also with 689 net...so 11" away from this one
Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Its getting mighty tough in this province to come up with big scoring stuff in the southern half in recent years, let alone crankin 4 mules gonna dry net 700 inch. Im over half way there on two, but if any one of us had to start this year it would be some tough to pull off, especially if a time frame were laid down. Very do-able in Sask though, theres enough big deer, guys dont even have to know what they are doing and can still eventually pull it off some where some how in an archery season. Here in Ab though, you find one, you cant afford to have it go sideways, there isnt another to move on in most instances.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Its getting mighty tough in this province to come up with big scoring stuff in the southern half in recent years, let alone crankin 4 mules gonna dry net 700 inch. Im over half way there on two, but if any one of us had to start this year it would be some tough to pull off, especially if a time frame were laid down. Very do-able in Sask though, theres enough big deer, guys dont even have to know what they are doing and can still eventually pull it off some where some how in an archery season. Here in Ab though, you find one, you cant afford to have it go sideways, there isnt another to move on in most instances.
aint that the truth. the mules in sask make me drool. the management of mules in alberta makes me puke.

as for the clubs, i make 900 by lots.....998 or something. im one short of 700....my best 4 are 698. i am well short of 1000.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

lol, and i'm well short of the 900, i do have 164 gross with rifle that would be a good start and then i guess my 123 and change net would count okay if i got another slammer to offset it but then i'd need another 3 slammers on that lol.....yeah, i'll be long time getting the 900, i could be long time getting into any of them although knocking right on the door of the other two