Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 PM

Default coal

was out at coal today, got on the water around 11, and home by 2... two of us in the boat, went up the east side for a bit, casting at the shorelines, and came back down the west. In the short time, probably got no less than 75 little sharks to the boat, was a great way to spend a few hours. tried numerous hooks, and all worked about the same...a small lean may go towards hooks with bright orange on them (water is still very murky)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeincanada780 View Post
Sorry for the blurry pic, my son took the pic with my cell phone. I would have took it myself but neither one of my boys could have handled this fish. We did our best to get some nice shots and a weight in order to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible.
That being said, I'm not offended by your post, and I have no reason to bs. I'm not in competition with anyone, I take my boys out as much as they want to spend quality guy time with them when I'm home from work. The outside of the scale is in lbs., the numbers are in 5 lbs increments.
I hope you weren't offended. It was my intention to defend you BTW. The comment by the other guy about needing a new scale was likely his way of trying to call bs due to your blurry pic. Like I said, at first glance it looked like your scale was showing just over 6lbs, but a closer look showed it was in kgs. Great fish BTW, gotta love them big ole snot rockets.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM

I was there on Tuesday as well fishing below the dam. You aren't lying when you say a fog of mosquitos. You literally need to bath in bug juice just to keep those parasites off of you.. I have never seen it this bad.. but if you can handle the mosquitos, fishing is worth it..

Fishing has slowed down quite a bit since the fish took a beating from May long but that is to be expected. We managed to haul in a few decent pike around the 10lb range, but I was amazed how many were in the 1-2lb range, and there were very little from the 3-5lb range.

Just thought you should know....
Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I hope you weren't offended. It was my intention to defend you BTW. The comment by the other guy about needing a new scale was likely his way of trying to call bs due to your blurry pic. Like I said, at first glance it looked like your scale was showing just over 6lbs, but a closer look showed it was in kgs. Great fish BTW, gotta love them big ole snot rockets.
No worries, I can see how the pic could cause confusion. But hey, it was taken by a 12 year old with a cell, not like he cared about the pic, all his focus was on the fish! lol
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Default coal lake :)

A good day out on the lake thursday, it was very windy and a little rain but we didnt care. We were about half way down the lake found a nice little area out of the wind and between 2 of us caught 36 1-3 pounders in four hours lots of fun. Not a single keeper but that was not the point almost every cast was a bite. My brother did lose a couple hooks on what he said felt like a monster tobad his drag wasn't set right or else maybe we could have caught one of the 10-15 pound monsters I keep hearing about have a good day.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Is there a boat launch at both ends of the lake?
Which is better? I'm taking my boat there today.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 AM

I have only driven by the very North of the lake. The boat launch there is being well utilized, water level is up so you can actually use it to launch this year. I would imagine the south end has a launch too but not 100% sure.

Lefty
Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM

south end as a launch,lots of water ,and not so bussy
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
south end as a launch,lots of water ,and not so bussy
Is the south end quieter than the north end? I will have to make my way down there sometime.

Lefty
Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Went to the north end.
Boat launch was very nice.
Lots of people but not too busy.
Very nice day of fishing.
Nothing unsu or extraordinary to report except I had a hog of a pike on the line that took close to 10 mins to reel in and was spoiling off line like crazy and then I lost it closer to the boat. Err!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Nice to hear that the big ones survived the low water.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Thinking about heading to Coal in a few day and was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent spot to fish from the shore ?