Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Pressure Cracks + Trucks don't mix

Gull Lake today at 4PM lucky it high centered and nobody drowned,Driver able to exit through window.Harold
Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Ouch, looks like he got lucky not having the truck go all the way in.
Any idea if the got it out yet???
Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 PM

which lake was this at?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 PM

A tow truck came and was able to pull it out.I imagine the engine will have to be torn apart and cleaned re: H2O.............Harold
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
KyleM

Get out the wifes hairdryer
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Hahaha! Company truck too!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM
stubblejumper

And no insurance either.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 PM

yikers !!!! yeah, sort of makes me not feel to bad for not getting out that much this year and working my butt off instead. coulda been me.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 PM

I heard the driver was on the fire and rescue team trying to get to a hurt snowmobiler on the north side of the pressure ridge.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Gone Hunting

if thats the case Roebag, it just became apparent they need to implement some ice rescue training, about grade 2 par type stuff!! I thought pressure heaves were self explanatory.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM

that picture right there is the main resson my truck stays on hard ground.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Default Open Lead after a Heave

I was out yesterday, and I am guessing that is north of Brownlow's. We saw lots of "wet white ice" in the vicinity of the pressure ridge. Given the minimal thickness in the photo, I hate to say I suspected open leads from the shifting sheets of ice. If this was flood ice that refreezes, you would see a deep blue color, as opposed to the whitish colour you see here in the picture. The pressure ridge itself had 3 foot thick ice piled about 8 feet tall right at the point north of Brownlow's, and it was very blue ice, except on either side where the sheet had broke free from the horizontal ice, after reaching considerable height.

Glad to see no one was hurt. If the motor was still running when the airbox submerged, the block is toast from the compression of the "watered" cylinder on the upstroke.

Drewski
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM

"the block is toast from the compression of the "watered" cylinder on the upstroke"

The engine will be fine, take out the spark plugs and crank it over till its dry.
Dry the Dizzy.

Water doesn't compress.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 PM

Its a right off probly has insurance at least anyone driving on the ice should. Why call company truck dont see a sign?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Its a right off probly has insurance at least anyone driving on the ice should.
Most insurance policies will not cover a vehicle if it goes through the ice,unless it is on a winter road approved by the department of transport.At least that is what my policy states.To top it off,if the vehicle goes through the ice,the owner is given a period of time to remove it,or the province will remove at the owners expense.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 PM

The plate is commercial I think

Thats crazy a tow truck came for him.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Looks farm plate to me. Dont know but we ask insurance agent that we want coverage and told us it was covered under comprehensive. Will have to check again i know 5 yrs ago friend dropped his thru and they covered removal and wrote it off paid him full value.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 AM

There was 4' of ice elsewhere on the lake.I barely had enough auger to get through..........Harold
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM

expect bent rods, broken pistons and a possible cracked block

water doesnt compress.....thats why parts break when water is taken into the chamber...saw a HEMI last year that took on water trying to launch a sea-doo....it was not pretty
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM

That is scary!

To anyone getting on at Brownlows. Head right as soon as you are on the ice. You should find a worn track and nice passage over the heave that is practically at shore. I felt very safe crossing at this spot. The rest of the heave seems to be slowly rising as the ice expands and contracts.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Personally I don't wear a seatbelt while driving on any lake or wander off the beaten[established] track............Just me............Harold
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
expect bent rods, broken pistons and a possible cracked block

water doesnt compress.....thats why parts break when water is taken into the chamber...saw a HEMI last year that took on water trying to launch a sea-doo....it was not pretty
No way a block is going to crack from getting water in the combustion chamber. That's such an exaggeration... the Head Gasket would blow under that pressure long before a cast iron block would crack. More likely it would just stall.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Personally I don't wear a seatbelt while driving on any lake or wander off the beaten[established] track............Just me............Harold
I don't either and I always roll on the lake with the window down a crack.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
No way a block is going to crack from getting water in the combustion chamber. That's such an exaggeration... the Head Gasket would blow under that pressure long before a cast iron block would crack. More likely it would just stall.
never say never...it could happen and they will be looking for that when the machinist tears it down.....

but your probably right...on a stock motor if the head gasket holds you may just lose a rod like that HEMI i saw first hand....rod bent and piston went kaboom...was pretty cool LOL
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
never say never...it could happen and they will be looking for that when the machinist tears it down.....

but your probably right...on a stock motor if the head gasket holds you may just lose a rod like that HEMI i saw first hand....rod bent and piston went kaboom...was pretty cool LOL
I could totally see the rod going if the HG did hold, just like breaking a timing chain!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM

for sure the engine is done if water got into the cylinders before it stalled. i have worked in machineshops for 10 years and you would not belive what a really bad blowen head gasket will do to an engine. i remember one volkswagon that had one rod out the side of the block and the other wraped around the crank
Old 02-19-2008, 03:05 PM

I sank my chevy at a river crossing once and sucked my new 350 full of water.Pulled the oil drain plug to drain the crankcase(about 2 L of water came out before the oil started to come WOW),put new oil in,pulled the plugs to drain the cylinders,turned it over for a few seconds.Then we left it overnight.Next morning it still would'nt start because the mufflers were full of water and there was too much back pressure.A screwdriver and a hammer fixed those.A half cup of gas right down the carb and she sparked right up.Another oil change once we got home and it was like it never happened.That was about 15 years ago and I still have the truck.
Another guy i know had his truck roll into a lake backwards at a boatlaunch with the engine running(the roof was about 4 feet underwater)It took about a week and it was back on the road.Although he could never get the lake smell out of the cab.
The potential for damage is there,but in these instances there was no permanent damage.But a guy cannot wait to do something to fix it because raw cast iron such as the internal parts of an engine and the block itself will start to rust immidiately and then you may have problems.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto389 View Post
I sank my chevy at a river crossing once and sucked my new 350 full of water.Pulled the oil drain plug to drain the crankcase(about 2 L of water came out before the oil started to come WOW),put new oil in,pulled the plugs to drain the cylinders,turned it over for a few seconds.Then we left it overnight.Next morning it still would'nt start because the mufflers were full of water and there was too much back pressure.A screwdriver and a hammer fixed those.A half cup of gas right down the carb and she sparked right up.Another oil change once we got home and it was like it never happened.That was about 15 years ago and I still have the truck.
Another guy i know had his truck roll into a lake backwards at a boatlaunch with the engine running(the roof was about 4 feet underwater)It took about a week and it was back on the road.Although he could never get the lake smell out of the cab.
The potential for damage is there,but in these instances there was no permanent damage.But a guy cannot wait to do something to fix it because raw cast iron such as the internal parts of an engine and the block itself will start to rust immidiately and then you may have problems.

This is what I would expect.

I think you would have to have some really high RPM and a large quantity of water to make an impact strong enough to break a rod.

Last edited by Izumi; 02-19-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM

The only way the block will crack rather then the gaskets take the force in my opinion is if the cold water cools the block faster then the iron can contract. I seen a guy try to wash his wheeler in the lake and do this.

I think (Not a mechanic) I would try replacing the air filter, and fluids, drying out the electrical in a heated garage and replacing the distributer cap/ignition box.

Ice Man
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Lynnwood Neighbourhood July 11, 2004

Anyone in Edmonton will know that Lynnwood / Rio Terrace had flooded streets on July 11, 2004. Countless people tried to drive their vehicles through door deep water, only to blow apart their engines when the water got into the engine from the air box. There were right offs like crazy as alot of cars and trucks were not worth the cost of replacing an engine at new cost.

Water does not compress. Heads do crack. Piston rods blow under pressure.

Anyway, good luck to the fellow, and I hope I am wrong. Maybe he shorted out the engine control module before it drew water, and he is OK.

Drewski