Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Default N.S.River Hookers

Hi Guys;
I was down to the river at Legends Golf Course last night for a couple of hours.Unfortunately the fish were not biting.
While I was there,a couple of vehicals pulled into the area,and it became very clear in a short period of time that the occupants were hookers with johns looking for a secluded spot.
I know a lot of members on this board fish in this area and bring their kids with them to play.
Just for the hell of it,I wandered around the area for awhile and found 3 used condoms and 2 syringes in the low bushes.I always have latex gloves in my vehical so I picked up these condoms,and syringes and got rid of them in a safe manner before some young child got ahold of them.
I spoke to the RCMP in Strathcona County this morning about this filthy problem.They are aware of it and they would like us to write down the licence plates, colour and make of vehical and give them a phone call.She(RCMP Officer) assured me that they would send someone right away.The call would be treated as a high priority call.
Also give the RCMP a call if people are drinking in the area.This is another problem in this area.
RCMP phone number,Strathcona Division 780-467-7741
If you have a cell phone,put it on speed dial.Lets take back our recreational areas and make it safe for our children and fellow fishermen/fisherwomen.
Cheers
Rainbow
Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM

That's Nasty!
I for one will be adding the number for the RCMP right now!
This stuff bothers me and is one of the reasons I fear taking the boy down to the river, I should be spending more time teaching him the ways of the tight line not looking around for needles and condoms.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Hi Guys;
I was down to the river at Legends Golf Course last night for a couple of hours.Unfortunately the fish were not biting.
While I was there,a couple of vehicals pulled into the area,and it became very clear in a short period of time that the occupants were hookers with johns looking for a secluded spot.
I know a lot of members on this board fish in this area and bring their kids with them to play.
Just for the hell of it,I wandered around the area for awhile and found 3 used condoms and 2 syringes in the low bushes.I always have latex gloves in my vehical so I picked up these condoms,and syringes and got rid of them in a safe manner before some young child got ahold of them.
I spoke to the RCMP in Strathcona County this morning about this filthy problem.They are aware of it and they would like us to write down the licence plates, colour and make of vehical and give them a phone call.She(RCMP Officer) assured me that they would send someone right away.The call would be treated as a high priority call.
Also give the RCMP a call if people are drinking in the area.This is another problem in this area.
RCMP phone number,Strathcona Division 780-467-7741
If you have a cell phone,put it on speed dial.Lets take back our recreational areas and make it safe for our children and fellow fishermen/fisherwomen.
Cheers
Rainbow
Good for you Rainbow... ! I have picked up many needles myself at that spot.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM

It is a big problem in that area. I am friends with a local farmer very close to that location that owns a private trout pond to which I contribute to and fish regularly. There are some dead end roads behind there that the drug problem is rampant. RCMP know about it and do routine drives out there. Poaching and trespassing is a big problem too. There was a big problem with fires being lit as well last spring when the Strathcona fire ban was on at about the same time as the Slave Lake fire.

It is great that the fishermen at Legends are doing their part in keeping that area clean and trouble free. It could be all shut down if the problem persists.
I know that last spring Strathcona bylaw came very close to shutting down that area just because of the fire issue.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the contribution! I hate how dirty our city can be. But that's humans for ya, just gotta try your best to avoid them and report them.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Good on you Rainbow. Stuff like this absolutley disgusts me.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM

If your going to be calling the RCMP about that particular location just remember that it is approximately a 20 min responce time, 15 if its a priority call (eg. shots fired or assults). The Strathcona RCMP tend to be very uptight so please dont call them unless you believe the suspects will still be there in 20 minutes or you have detailed information about the vehicle ( plate number, discription of vehicle/ occupants) and crime being commited. We dont want to get a bad name as outdoorsmen calling for every minor thing.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
If your going to be calling the RCMP about that particular location just remember that it is approximately a 20 min responce time, 15 if its a priority call (eg. shots fired or assults). The Strathcona RCMP tend to be very uptight so please dont call them unless you believe the suspects will still be there in 20 minutes or you have detailed information about the vehicle ( plate number, discription of vehicle/ occupants) and crime being commited. We dont want to get a bad name as outdoorsmen calling for every minor thing.
Or the best was when we reported them idiots were shooting with BB gun and hit my truck , and then police got there and the kids ran and that police women hoped out went for a run after that kid man that was funny .

But the crappy part is they tend to paint everyone with the same paint brush as we tend to fish down there late at night for Walleye , and police come down and pretty much everytime ask us where the beer is when we are the only group that doesnt have any beer useually slurpee or pepsi's . All though the Male and Female that came down and were interested in the sturgeon and took a look at our pictures , they were by far the best we ran into last year . Or the Creepy cop that hide in the trees then stopped us leaving asked if we saw anything swim by .

Oh the moments of the river . Sometimes I just shake my head .
Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM

I'd be more worried for children to see have BGSH down by the NSR waters edge!

Just kidding BGSH! (unless you were in one of those cars!!!?)

And good on you Rainbow for trying to do your part and make it a better place for everyone.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Bbj, you missed the guys skeet shooting over our heads

Im seriously thinking Im going to have to start wearing body armour down there.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Bbj, you missed the guys skeet shooting over our heads

Im seriously thinking Im going to have to start wearing body armour down there.
Ohhhhhhhhhh WTF , with crap like that going on youd think the RCMP would be doing Hourly Patrols or even Once an evening . I know Fish and Wildlife get down there as much as they can .

With that being a Zero shooting zone , MAN THEM DUDES WOULD BE UP CHIT CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE .
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Default N S River Hookers

Hi Guys,thanks for the attaboys,much appreciated.
I do think we all can keep our eyes open at the river and eventually clean out the lowlifes.Do not confront anyone,let the RCMP do their job.
I do know that it would be a 15 to 20 minute response time to get to Legends.That is why it is important to get licence numbers,make of vehical,colour and any other pertinant info.There are only a couple of roads leading out of the area,and the RCMP would be watching for any vehicals fitting your description.
Cheers
Rainbow
Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Hi Guys,thanks for the attaboys,much appreciated.
I do think we all can keep our eyes open at the river and eventually clean out the lowlifes.Do not confront anyone,let the RCMP do their job.
I do know that it would be a 15 to 20 minute response time to get to Legends.That is why it is important to get licence numbers,make of vehical,colour and any other pertinant info.There are only a couple of roads leading out of the area,and the RCMP would be watching for any vehicals fitting your description.
Cheers
Rainbow
You know what the sick thing is its 10 15 20 minutes from Sherwood park but 8 minutes from Fort Saskatchewan , the way they have there areas is just clueless . They really should revamp that or make a station closer or right along hwy 16 .
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
With that being a Zero shooting zone , MAN THEM DUDES WOULD BE UP CHIT CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE .
If you actually check out the firearms bylaw in Strathcona County you can legally shoot there as long as your not on the county trail or the road itself. Personnally I wouldnt shoot there.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
If you actually check out the firearms bylaw in Strathcona County you can legally shoot there as long as your not on the county trail or the road itself. Personnally I wouldnt shoot there.
seen people shoot shotguns down there mmany times. Too bad the empty hulls get left behind so often.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM

Damn, now where am I going to go to shoot meth and have fun with hookers....

Jking. That is really messed up. I hate to see people ruining the beautiful river valley for others. Its one thing Edmonton area really has going for it but there's always some moron who's going to disrespect the resource.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM

I always have my friend louiville in the truck so I don't worry to much when I'm there.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 AM

Remember the SNL skit where Chris Farley plays an unlikely tutor who lives "In a Van Down By the River".?
Unfortunately, urban rivers are crime magnets. My wife and I watched the RCMP remove a man and woman from below a bridge on a Red Deer creek last summer. I don't know what they were doing, but the RCMP asked them to gather their clothes and shoes before the climbed the bank. There is a needle drop near this spot.... some of the most beautiful places in day light get pretty shadowy at night.
Keep up the good work Rainbow and fellow outdoorsmen. We can't beat them, but we can clean up after them. I carry rubber gloves too.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM

This stuff really upsets me. I fish the NSR about a dozen times a year, in East Edmonton. Now, I can look after myself better than most, but I wont dare fish near dark alone anywhere in the city or at legends.
Heck, even during the daytime I am always looking over my shoulder or wondering if the truck will be where I left it.
Now after reading your post I need to watch where I step too?
Good on you for reporting what you found and saw going on.
kidd
Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Ya its way better fishing out of a river boat. I couldnt imagine having to fish off shore again !!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm down there now...RC's made two passes around 4...first time they went by fairly quick, second time they stopped for a minute (presumably running my plate) and then left. Didn't bother getting out of the car to come talk to me.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM

I'd expect that right in Edmonton near where street prostitutes would hang out, but outside the city? Where are these hookers and johns coming from? (no, I'm not asking where I can find them LOL)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Default plop ping

Now I know what all the peekaboo was about last year when I fished that area, creepy for sure...Anyone shooting at you and your fishing gear like last year?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd expect that right in Edmonton near where street prostitutes would hang out, but outside the city? Where are these hookers and johns coming from? (no, I'm not asking where I can find them LOL)
maybe they are fisherman - kill two birds with one stone.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Only suspicious thing I saw there today was a Green Jeep and some big ice floes going down the river
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
Only suspicious thing I saw there today was a Green Jeep and some big ice floes going down the river
Wait a tick...did you stop and fish or just drive by? Presuming you are one of the fishermen there, it was good meeting you guys

Saw some interesting stuff once it started getting dark...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Wait a tick...did you stop and fish or just drive by? Presuming you are one of the fishermen there, it was good meeting you guys

Saw some interesting stuff once it started getting dark...
I was there around 7. I was wearing the canucks hat and driving the mazda 3. I was going to cast and retrieve and practice fly casting but there was a lityle to much ice for me when I got there lol
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Banned

Cool

how abought you guys take back your spot. I fished an area in the UK with similar issues to your legends hole. our solution start a informal derby every friday /saturday nite every body throws in a dollar or five. now get all the local AO form members to turn out. a large gathering of like minded folks at this unsavory area soon makes the unsavory types uncomfortable and takes up all the "parking"spots. every one minds their P's&Q's, no vigilanty stuff just a presence of a large group of anglers having a laugh. maybe organize a clean the river club, cover more than one area. just a thought.