Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Default What would you do?

If you trusted someone to book a trip lets say, and found out they said they did, but never did, and took your deposit and would not return it, how would you go about getting it back? Its been three months with the person I'm dealing with, and still kind of wondering if I'll ever see the money I worked hard for, and they spent for themselves.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
If you trusted someone to book a trip lets say, and found out they said they did, but never did, and took your deposit and would not return it, how would you go about getting it back? Its been three months with the person I'm dealing with, and still kind of wondering if I'll ever see the money I worked hard for, and they spent for themselves.
I remember seeing this earlier on your posts - I'm very sorry you got screwed. If there is nothing you can do by law to get your money back, I would probably head over there with a baseball bat or a pair of brass knuckles....
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Can you take them to small claims court?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I remember seeing this earlier on your posts - I'm very sorry you got screwed. If there is nothing you can do by law to get your money back, I would probably head over there with a baseball bat or a pair of brass knuckles....
tis not an option, I have a career I enjoy. I'm thinking the name must be with held so I do not finger anyone out. but the person will read this, and know who they are.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2 View Post
Can you take them to small claims court?
its 100$... not worth my time. The internet is a grand place now days though. You type a persons name, put it in your personal blog, and its there forever. I'm not going to extreme levels. Just trying to caution people, to be careful who you trust. Even when you think someone is your friend, there is always a shady side.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
tis not an option, I have a career I enjoy. I'm thinking the name must be with held so I do not finger anyone out. but the person will read this, and know who they are.
Does he have a wife? (I know he does), so try bothering her?

Basically, you are entitled to that money. If you know where they live, show up often asking about it (maybe not alone). Bother them until they give you some answers, what they did is completely unfair and you deserve your money back, one way or another.

Glad to hear its only 100$...

I thought you were talking thousands... That must be a relief, but still you are entitled to it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Few things you can do:

a. Ask Ken to help you collect it.
b. small claims court.
c. seek advice from local police agency if there is any criminal charges that can be pursued.
d. if an actual travel agency/agent, seek advice from their governing body.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Guitar -

I will not bother a family member. Nor will I show up on private property. I know enough about the law to know my boundries of harassment. If 100$ is worth someones credibility, and reputation... than I guess I'd hate to see what else can just be up and left.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
Few things you can do:

a. Ask Ken to help you collect it.
b. small claims court.
c. seek advice from local police agency if there is any criminal charges that can be pursued.
d. if an actual travel agency/agent, seek advice from their governing body.
I've had a couple Police Officers advise me to take route c if needed. Seems like an awfully lot of trouble though for 100$... but if scams are out there, they should be public knowledge right?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Guitar -

I will not bother a family member. Nor will I show up on private property. I know enough about the law to know my boundries of harassment. If 100$ is worth someones credibility, and reputation... than I guess I'd hate to see what else can just be up and left.
Follow Yeils Advice than!

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 AM

We'll see what happens. My vacation starts in 2.5 hours. Hopefully by the time I get back it will be settled. If not, I guess I will have to think of alternative measures to deal with the excuse of 'money's tight,' and 'when its financially viable' for another 3 months?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM

For $100 is small claims court even worth your time…?

Lesson learned I would say, be more careful on who you give money to…
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
some day they will take away your free time with an attitude like this, better grow up fast boy
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
some day they will take away your free time with an attitude like this, better grow up fast boy
I know, it was more of something I would like to do in a situation like that but wouldn't... haha.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
For $100 is small claims court even worth your time…?

Lesson learned I would say, be more careful on who you give money to…
its really not worth my time at all. Like I said, I'd rather just make people aware. I'm not sure if I can give a name of who it was, or if that would have the thread deleted or not so I'll withhold it. But if you are curious, there are other ways of finding out.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I know, it was more of something I would like to do in a situation like that but wouldn't... haha.
how about tarring and feathering? I think its still in the law books somehwere. Kind of like if you get kicked out of Calgary by the Police, they have to give you a flask of whiskey, a horse, and a rifle at the edge of town.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
how about tarring and feathering? I think its still in the law books somehwere. Kind of like if you get kicked out of Calgary by the Police, they have to give you a flask of whiskey, a horse, and a rifle at the edge of town.
We got kicked out of Calgary when we wee younger, we got nothing but a don't come back
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM

A $100?!! Really?? All this for a $100??

I can't count how many times I've been screwed out of $100. Guy welched on a bet. Customer wouldn't pay. Bought a worthless item. Hell I've LOST a $100 out of my pocket.

Good grief, you go for dinner and it tastes lousy and got bad service...you're out a $100. Call the guy an "A-hole" and be done with it. Really? You've been stewing about this for months?....You're asking a bunch of strangers what to do???
Get over it. That's what ya do.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM

I don't know if it's just about the money... Its the principle of the matter.

100$ though.. Sliver you got it easy, I was worried you got scammed out of thousands... That would have been devastating.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post

I can't count how many times I've been screwed out of $100. Guy welched on a bet. Customer wouldn't pay. Bought a worthless item. Hell I've LOST a $100 out of my pocket.

Good grief, you go for dinner and it tastes lousy and got bad service...you're out a $100. Call the guy an "A-hole" and be done with it. Really? You've been stewing about this for months?....You're asking a bunch of strangers what to do???
Well said Dave, a hundred bucks isn't worth losing sleep over
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

X2 Chalk it up as a learning experience.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 AM

Not losing sleep - just makIng a public Point as the 'scam' started here.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
If it started jere and you are right, name names I would. Just be careful how you word itl.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
If it started jere and you are right, name names I would. Just be careful how you word itl.
X2...

Quote:

And you can bet your boots that if you owed a 100 bucks for a utility bill, service or purchase on your credit card that you didn't pay, you'd be hounded until you did.

Mechanics, home trades etc can lien your property until you pay up, no matter what the minimum the amount is... why should the amount be the deciding factor whether to try and collect?

Silver, if the person that has your money is giving you excuses, ask them for a post dated cheque for the amount - make it for say, 30 days. Before you cash it, go to the bank it's drawn on and when and if there are sufficient funds, cash the darn thing.

Why not give the guys name out here. It's not against any rules. When highwildnfree was ripping ppl off it was made public so know one else would get screwed over. 100$ isn't a big deal but like someone said the principals is the issue. Make it public or stop complaining. Your not helping anyone else from getting screwed over.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 AM

I would name him on here
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Why not give the guys name out here. It's not against any rules. When highwildnfree was ripping ppl off it was made public so know one else would get screwed over. 100$ isn't a big deal but like someone said the principals is the issue. Make it public or stop complaining. Your not helping anyone else from getting screwed over.
x2

**** or get off the pot
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Exactly. Tired of all the whining lately over stuff like this. Either poop or get off the pot.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You learned a valuable lesson, believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see! You also essentially paid a $100 bucks to be rid of this guy for ever. Pretty cheap 2-for-1 deal in my books.

As for the d!ckhead who screwed you over, as murphy law seems to go, he'll get his sooner or later. It always works out that way.