Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Question How many fishes can we keep at the end of a fishing trip?

How many fishes can we keep at the end of a fishing trip, if the limit of this kind of fish at lake A is 5 while the limit of this kind of fish at lake B is 3 and we fished at both of lake A and B during our fishing trip?
5? or 3? or 8?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Not sure but I think it's just 5, with 3 at most from lake B. The limit is a "maximum possession limit" which I've heard includes fish in your freezer. This is just from reading on these forums though, I haven't done any real research.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
The limit is a "maximum possession limit" which I've heard includes fish in your freezer. .
That is correct
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

This is where the honesty in an outdoorsmen comes into play. If lake a allows 5 fish lake b allows 3 fish, than so long as you don't exceed the provincial possession limit and you honestly caught each limit appropriatee to the lake the limits came from, you will be legal. One of the big keys is to check the provincial possession limit. This will tell you how many fish of a given species you may possess at one time, not just with you in your bucket but also whats in your freezer at home!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Here is what in the regulation:

3. Limit: The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing at a water body is equal to the ‘limit’ listed for each species or group of species at that water body.

4. Possession: The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1-day limit at the water body fished and includes fish stored at home.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Default Province-wide maximum possession

From the Regs

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:
• Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:

0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.
•Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
•Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
•Northern Pike – 3 in total.
•Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
•Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
•Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
•Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
•Lake Sturgeon – 0
•Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

NOTE: The limits and size restrictions that exist at specific lakes and streams are listed in the Watershed Unit sections of each Fish Management Zone.

Check the regs. here is the link

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishing...ml#catchlimits

Province wide maximum applies overall. Specific lake and stream limits are to be followed. CO may look for proof as to where fish came from. I dont know never ran into this situation myself.

Save time... see it my way
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Possesion is the KEY!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Id be just happy to catch 1 to keep !!!! LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Just make sure that you fish lake B first and get no more than 3 and then go to lake A and get your 5..

if you read the reg's your daily is your limit so when five.. you can only catch 5 total and if you start at Lake b then got to Lake A if you start at lake A and catch 4 at lake A then you can,t go to lake B or and fish because you would be busted .. did you get my post the right order

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 01-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM

So which one is the correct answer?
5? or 3? or 8?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

It's interesting as I'm asked harvest questions a lot at work, and no matter how much info I give including showing the regs and such, there is always that look on the customers face akin to "how can I get past the regulations and stock my freezer". Typically, these individuals buy fishing rods for everyone in the family not requiring a license and then the questions come up as to how many fish can a family harvest. I've become bitter (sorry for the derail) and think that children to the age of having to purchase a license should be strictly C&R and from license age up can choose what type of fishing they would like to engage in.

A couple of years ago I received a PM looking for specific fish at specific locations and how to best catch them. Being a naive forum user, I obliged, and gave locations, techniques and other little hints. I received nary a thank you nor anything for that matter, and I changed my manner on who gets tips from me.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Just make sure that you fish lake B first and get no more than 3 and then go to lake A and get your 5..

David
That is the funniest and quietly most sarcastic reply,, and awesome!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:

David
No....If the possesion limit is 5....You cannot take 3 from one lake, and then 5 from another...You are in possesion of 8 which is illegal unless you ate those first 3 from lake A before going to lake B

Ok....Got me...Missed the sarcasim
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySonny View Post
So which one is the correct answer?
5? or 3? or 8?
I would say it depends on the sport fish you plan on catching.
MAC has laid out provincial possession limits several posts back, what kind of fish are you after?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
I would say it depends on the sport fish you plan on catching.
MAC has laid out provincial possession limits several posts back, what kind of fish are you after?
Please see the original question.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Default Lake x

Not to derail the thread, but I live on the Alberta ,BC border, one particular lake is half in BC the other half in Alberta, I have a licence to fish each province, the limit is 2 in BC, 5 in Alberta, Am I allowed,
7 fish? My possesion limit in Alberta is 5, but I have fished 2 provinces.

I don't normaly keep fish, just an interesting situation.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
That is the funniest and quietly most sarcastic reply,, and awesome!!!!
i re-worded for all

David
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Depends really if your caught with 8 on the ice you could be in trouble just make sure you keep them in your vehicle cause they generally won't harrass you but if they do they need a warrant so they more than likely be to lazy to get one cause whether they bust you or not still getting paid the same IMHO eat a couple at the lake the the problem is solved whatever you do don't admit to anything cause their is these certain officers that are *****s others are quite nice. But ultimately is a few extra fish worth the money up to you mate.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySonny View Post
Please see the original question.
Actually it's a funny question sonny, being that there are no 5/3 possesion limits of a particular species,,, so the answer would be 5 (whitefish for example) then 3 (pike for example). You could retain 8 burbot from two different bodies of water but I don't think you can keep 8 trout.

Maybe I over thought the question.

hope this helps.

what kind of fish/es are you targetting?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Depends really if your caught with 8 on the ice you could be in trouble just make sure you keep them in your vehicle cause they generally won't harrass you but if they do they need a warrant so they more than likely be to lazy to get one cause whether they bust you or not still getting paid the same IMHO eat a couple at the lake the the problem is solved whatever you do don't admit to anything cause their is these certain officers that are *****s others are quite nice. But ultimately is a few extra fish worth the money up to you mate.
Cool, so how many fish do you eat and how many do you take home?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Well if you wanted to be really sneaky let's say it has a 5 fish limit you catch 5 its up to you really eat all 5 eat 3 whatever then dispose of carcasses so there is no proof then catch more if you don't wanna get caught.

PLEASE NOTE I don't keep fish so I have never done it just theoretically saying someone can do this I have seen it happens before. I'm catch and release unless I go with someone who wants to have a fry.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Well if you wanted to be really sneaky let's say it has a 5 fish limit you catch 5 its up to you really eat all 5 eat 3 whatever then dispose of carcasses so there is no proof then catch more if you don't wanna get caught.

PLEASE NOTE I don't keep fish so I have never done it just theoretically saying someone can do this I have seen it happens before. I'm catch and release unless I go with someone who wants to have a fry.
My apologies.

I've witnessed this happening and it's also interesting that it happens where there is zero cell reception.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM

Mac posted the limits ...

the best idea is study this...

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishing...eral-regs.html

Now just because that list says lake trout limit 3....YOU HAVE TO CHECK the water shed/lake your fishing...

because for example...
Cold Lake
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Lake Trout limit 0 from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15, and 1 over 65 cm from May 15 to Sept. 14 and from Nov. 16 to Mar. 31; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.

so its a good idea to study the regs and watersheds you intend to fish...

Neil
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Limit your catch, dont catch your limit!

If the whole possession limit thing is not making sense to you error on the side of caution. The answer is in a number of posts already. Call Fish & Wildlife for specifics on the lakes you seem interested in.

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Actually it's a funny question sonny, being that there are no 5/3 possesion limits of a particular species,,, so the answer would be 5 (whitefish for example) then 3 (pike for example). You could retain 8 burbot from two different bodies of water but I don't think you can keep 8 trout.

Maybe I over thought the question.

hope this helps.

what kind of fish/es are you targetting?
Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM

The answer is 5 not 8, five is the daily max, by the OPs way of questioning, you could travel from lake to lake taking a limit from each as you go.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Just make sure that you fish lake B first and get no more than 3 and then go to lake A and get your [total of] 5..

If you read the reg's your daily is your limit so, five.. you can only catch 5 total if you start at [Gull] Lake then got to [Sylvan] Lake. If you start at [Sylvan] lake and catch 4 at [Sylvan] Lake then you can't go to [Gull] lake and fish because you would be busted... did you get my post the right order

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I live on the Alberta ,BC border, one particular lake is half in BC the other half in Alberta, I have a licence to fish each province, the limit is 2 in BC, 5 in Alberta, Am I allowed,
7 fish? My possesion limit in Alberta is 5, but I have fished 2 provinces.

I don't normaly keep fish, just an interesting situation.
Buy 2 freezers, put 2 fish into the freezer sitting on the BC side; put 5 fish into the other freezer sitting on the AB side.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM

scenario --

"Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3" plus no white fish in my freezer

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I phoned fish & wildlife office in Calgary 10 minutes ago, and asked the office about scenario above. The answer I got is 8

They said as long as you are not exceed the provincial limit (10 in this case) and also not exceed the water body limit, you are fine

I am not sure if the answer I got is correct one or not. It is better to have some fellow members to phone their F&W office for same question and see what number they will say

Tags
different lake, limit