Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Good basic ice-fishing rod reel combo?

Got $100 in Bass Pro gift cards for xmas.

I want a versatile rod/reel combo for use in a tent. Best rod length?
Mostly pike and walleye.
Suggestions?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:56 PM

I've only ever used cheap Walmart ones. I have light ones for perch and trout and heavy ones for pike and walleye. Grab a few cheap ones and try them out. Expensive isn't always better IMHO.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 PM

For inside the tent, I like to use the HT Enterprises Ice Blue series rods. Medium weight for most everything...except big pike (get the heavy weight)

They are cheap at WSS...don't know if BP carries them. I like them because they are decent 24" rods that actually have a proper reel seat instead of those crappy black plastic rings that rely on a friction fit to hold the reel

http://www.icefish.com/catalog/inven...fam=112&cat=38

pair these rods with a decent spinning reel and you won't be disappointed.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

Mostly pike and walleye.
Suggestions?

BP has carried St.Croix ice rods the past few seasons. I can't verify if they have them this year, but it's likely. I'd suggest a 30" M. Nice walleye rod. You may want something heavier for the northerns, depending on the size of fish you're targeting. Stay away from combo rods and pair it with a good spinning reel of your choice.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/ice/legend-ice-rods/

Dace
Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 PM

i love the fenwick and st croix ice rods. pair it with a decent spinning real

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 PM

true...I am not a fan of combos. the reels are always crap.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 PM

in the past few days my wife has cought many perch,burbot, walleye and pike with an 40 dollar ultra lite fenwick elite tech, 4 pound test mono on a decent reel.(drag took a beating) but it held up awsome.

They all do the same job, i just feel quality products just last longer in my opinion.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 PM

I ussually like to go shorter while inside the tent. But a good reliable combo is the ugly stick if you can find one that's medium-high. Not too pricey and the rods can take a beating.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 PM

Default 28"

Quote:

Mostly pike and walleye.
Suggestions?
I would recommend the New Fenwick 27": SKU: 2124039
with the Pflueger Trion 5 bearing real: SKU: 2033802
or the Shimano Sienna: SKU: 1637963
or the Pflueger President 6920: SKU: 1833827

I have a St. Croix with the Pflueger President and love it. Also have the Fenwick with the Trion and it is great too. Just depends on what you want to spend. I like 27-28" for in the tent and my St. Croix is a 36" for outside.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 PM

X2 on the ugly stick combo. They can take a beating but hard to find in anything more than a medium
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

X3 on the ugly stick like the rods but not to big on the reels. find them very stiff even tried re oiling them didn;t help
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM

The ugly stik is a trooper for sure. Not too much money but also not very long.

It will handle pretty well anything you fish for and is priced so you can afford a decent reel.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Recently I've foundy reels have been twisting my line so when my hook is down the home it spins and spins. Also the line has a memory and it remains loosely coiled making it impossible to feel light hits. I ended up just fishing off a spool in hand yesterday. Is this a line or a reel problem? Or an operator problem?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Banned

Cool

×? For the ugly stick combo . But for a 100$ shimano smallest reel and any med rod should fit the bill. Ive got a 20$ crappy tire ice combo put on a good quality line and its never failed me on rainbows to 12lb pike to 10 lb and its my go to perch rod ?? So pick what you lke in a name brand and put on some good line , correctly and your fishing . Remember most gear is for catching fishermen (fisherpeople).
Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Recently I've foundy reels have been twisting my line so when my hook is down the home it spins and spins. Also the line has a memory and it remains loosely coiled making it impossible to feel light hits. I ended up just fishing off a spool in hand yesterday. Is this a line or a reel problem? Or an operator problem?
Do you pull out line against the drag ? Do you stretch out the depth your fishing at? did you load the reel ?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM

I don't pull line out with the drag(a little bit with a fish on I guess). I did put the line on myself. I was in a out 20ft yesterday but the hook will spin at shallower depths too
Old 01-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Mostly pike and walleye.
Suggestions?
Remember, you can't catch what you can't feel. If you fish with your finger on the line then a stiffer rod butt and stiffer tip work fine. If you rely on seeing the tip move to know you are being bit, get a very soft tip and stiffer butt. For in a tent 18-24" is about right, depending on how big the tent is. Spinning rods/reels rule, but I remove all of the factory grease and replace it with Gunslick graphite low temp grease. Make sure you do the drag disks too. It keeps the reels working great to -50. Shimmano, Pflueger and Diawa all make good smaller size reels with bearing drives and good drags.

St Croix, Fenwick and Loomis make excellent rods. I find the Ugly sticks very tough but they lack feel. Get a cork seat on the rod, preferably with a proper reel seat. The cork transmits ticks and vibration much better than the soft rubber handles. If you really want to see the difference buy two rigs, one exactly opposite to what I recommended, fish both. Take back which ever one you don't like and trade it for the other.

Let us know what you end up keeping.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
In addition to what Fishgunner said; The problem is likely the line. Make sure when you load the reel you wind it the right way off the spool. Also, sounds like you are using a fairly stiff, abrasion resistant line like XT. At min switch to XL or better yet get some cold weather line designed specifically for use below zero (Berkley sub zero in clear or blue works well and is inexpensive. There are better lines but they are a lot more money.) My bet is that will solve your line twist issues.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I don't pull line out with the drag(a little bit with a fish on I guess). I did put the line on myself. I was in a out 20ft yesterday but the hook will spin at shallower depths too
As D2 stated proper loading of line makes a differance. Try pulling out lint to the depth your fishing and give it a stretch .do you use a quality swivel up 24" in your set up some lures and a single minnow can put twist in a line.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM

Yes my line is pretty tough stuff. Ill try something a little lighter. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't use a swivel but ill try one now. That's a good idea. Fish gunner, what do you meAn un spool the right way?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Yes my line is pretty tough stuff. Ill try something a little lighter. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't use a swivel but ill try one now. That's a good idea. Fish gunner, what do you meAn un spool the right way?
With the line spool it has a direction of lay . So in simple terms if you place the spool on the floor with the lettering up (assuming 100/50yrd ) crank on say twenty turns of line . Then stop and relax the line to the spool if correct it will just stay in a loose coil. If wrong it will try to twist . If twisted flip over spool (lettering down ) and crank on twenty more turns. Relax and line should stay in loose coil . Once correct direction is found spool away try to leave some room at the edge of the reel spool as you wont be casting on the hard water. Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
With the line spool it has a direction of lay . So in simple terms if you place the spool on the floor with the lettering up (assuming 100/50yrd ) crank on say twenty turns of line . Then stop and relax the line to the spool if correct it will just stay in a loose coil. If wrong it will try to twist . If twisted flip over spool (lettering down ) and crank on twenty more turns. Relax and line should stay in loose coil . Once correct direction is found spool away try to leave some room at the edge of the reel spool as you wont be casting on the hard water. Hope that helps.
Cool thanks ill give it a try. I'd like to getting rod/reels back in play, pulling up 20' of line on a spool with a fish always ends up in a bit rat nest for me
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM

I absolutely love the St.Croix ice fishing rods. They have proper and strong fuji reel seats, cork handles and have excellent backbone yet an unbelievably sensitive tip. At $30-$40 a piece they are fantastic rods ..... highly recommend them.

I like longer rods 30"-34" but it really depends on the size of your tent and what you are comfortable with. Longer rods take up more space but you can get better leverage on a hook set and a longer range of motion when working your bait along the water column.

I use a number of different reels (some spinning reels from my summer set ups) but I have been ice fishing buying center pins for a couple reasons;

- they seem less prone to freeze up,
- no line twist like spinning reels,
- have excellent drags,
- small and compact for the ice fishing case and,
- most importantly, they are low gear ratio 1:1 up to 2.5:1

.....and when you are 10 or 12 feet down you don't want to crank the spinning reel twice to get the line up to the hole with a 5:1 reel do you? .... a lower retrieve ratio, I have found, is more than enough for the small quantity of line out, you won't crash your eyelet and it provides an added level of control (palming on the runs if needed).

http://stcroixrods.com/products/ice/premier-ice-rods

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Eagle...el/1646820.uts

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...9/product.html
Old 01-05-2015, 06:42 PM

I have a couple of Zebco Solid Ice combo's and love them.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 PM

I have a MH St. Croix baitcaster that I use with a Curado and a M Fenwick Spinning rod that I use with a Sahara. Both reels are from summer units and I don't see much need to buy different ones(only complaint is power pro doesn't work great in the cold weather), I just tie on a different leader depending on what I am fishing for(40 lb fluoro for pike, 8 lb fluoro line for other fish). I like both rods as both are very sensitive but have enough backbone for catching larger fish and don't really have complaints about either one.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:34 PM

I have a few sets/sizes of the Fenwick Elite Tech with Shimano Sienna spinning reels. For non ice rods I have a few St. Croix and they are currently my favorite rod brand. But for ice I look at them and either that Tennessee handle turns me off and the ones that have conventional handles don't have enough of a butt for me (I like long butts for jigging with mitts when super cold).

I know a lot of people who use the same Elite Tech/Sienna Combo and I personally think it is the best bang for your buck and I like top quality (but I do refuse to use my $200+ reels during winter as they get bashed around more).

Another rod that is underrated is the Daiwa Triforce Shorty. They are 36" and are rated under what their power actually is. Good for ripping heavier lures.

Someone try and sell me on why I would like the St. Croix Elites and their handles please!!!! I love St. Croix.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
I have a few sets/sizes of the Fenwick Elite Tech with Shimano Sienna spinning reels. For non ice rods I have a few St. Croix and they are currently my favorite rod brand. But for ice I look at them and either that Tennessee handle turns me off and the ones that have conventional handles don't have enough of a butt for me (I like long butts for jigging with mitts when super cold).

I know a lot of people who use the same Elite Tech/Sienna Combo and I personally think it is the best bang for your buck and I like top quality (but I do refuse to use my $200+ reels during winter as they get bashed around more).

Another rod that is underrated is the Daiwa Triforce Shorty. They are 36" and are rated under what their power actually is. Good for ripping heavier lures.

Someone try and sell me on why I would like the St. Croix Elites and their handles please!!!! I love St. Croix.
that's an easy one .... don't get the St.croix Elite if you don't like short handles.

Get the St.Croix premier .... or the other 15-20 versions of longer rod handles available from St.Croix ....... see picture.

Sounds like we have signed you up for one !!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st croix ice rods premier series.jpg (37.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
BP has carried St.Croix ice rods the past few seasons. I can't verify if they have them this year, but it's likely. I'd suggest a 30" M. Nice walleye rod. You may want something heavier for the northerns, depending on the size of fish you're targeting. Stay away from combo rods and pair it with a good spinning reel of your choice.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/ice/legend-ice-rods/

Dace
X2
Old 01-06-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.
Now-What line?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies.
Now-What line?
Only use regular power pro if you plan on fishing in a well heated shack/tent. Mono/fluro don't freeze up near as bad, not sure how well the braided ice lines compare.

The one thing I don't like about my St. Croix rod now that I am thinking about it is that the guides are so small that they freeze up very easily especially when using power pro.