Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Default Pigeon lake fish

I have walleye tags for Pigeon lake. My question is, would you eat the legally caught walleye out of Pigeon or any of the fish you may catch?

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM

the question is why did you waste your $20 before asking that?

I eat the 3 fish I tag out of that lake every year. Healthy as an ox and no 3rd eye growing, at least yet...
I have a buddy who questions my sanity eating out of there.
Meh
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM

I typically get my tags filled before the end of June to avoid all the "affluent" and other "nutrients" flowing into Pigeon before it becomes a toxic soup like almost every summer when the algae bloom.

If I'm not mistaken that's 4 years in a row this lake was issued a health advisory for Cyanobacteria (Blue - Green Algae).

Many jurisdictions advise against consumption of fish immediately preceding, during or immediately after active bacteria have been observed. I don't think Alberta goes that far - but I'd say wait until it clears up just to be sure.

Good news is the residual is short and things should clear up after the water falls and stays below 60 F for a while.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
the question is why did you waste your $20 before asking that?

I eat the 3 fish I tag out of that lake every year. Healthy as an ox and no 3rd eye growing, at least yet...
I have a buddy who questions my sanity eating out of there.
Meh
I haven't bought the tags, the minimal draw fee is all I've paid. I've never had fresh walleye, closest lake to me that I fish.

Appreciate the answer though

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I typically get my tags filled before the end of June to avoid all the "affluent" and other "nutrients" flowing into Pigeon before it becomes a toxic soup like almost every summer when the algae bloom.

If I'm not mistaken that's 4 years in a row this lake was issued a health advisory for Cyanobacteria (Blue - Green Algae).

Many jurisdictions advise against consumption of fish immediately preceding, during or immediately after active bacteria have been observed. I don't think Alberta goes that far - but I'd say wait until it clears up just to be sure.

Good news is the residual is short and things should clear up after the water falls and stays below 60 F for a while.
I ice fish there, maybe I will wait until the winter. Thanks for the temperature advice.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Don't think I would to be honest with you, at least not right now. That lake has been having severe problems with water quality and whitefish die offs in the spring. Too much open farmland draining in to the watershed. Think I'd wait and try my luck there during winter, if at all.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:58 PM

my plan was to save my tags for hard water season
Old 09-16-2015, 05:50 PM

We always fill our tags there on the ICE... just get them on the ice. Water is nice and clear, the fish are very Healthy looking. Can't beat it!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 09-16-2015, 08:08 PM

There was samples taken this summer in the NW corner that apparently tested positive regarding fecal content. I would fill tags during hard water.

WC
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Don't think I would to be honest with you, at least not right now. That lake has been having severe problems with water quality and whitefish die offs in the spring. Too much open farmland draining in to the watershed. Think I'd wait and try my luck there during winter, if at all.
And the hundreds of cottages all around the lake have no effect on the water quality?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
I have walleye tags for Pigeon lake. My question is, would you eat the legally caught walleye out of Pigeon or any of the fish you may catch?
Yes.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably try in the winter.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
And the hundreds of cottages all around the lake have no effect on the water quality?

Run off from fields that include fertilizers, herbicides and in addition fecal matter from live stock are a much larger contributing factor.

Yes the thousands of cottages do have some effect. but the majority of cabins have septic tanks. and yes some cottage owners fertilize and spray for dandelions. and some have outhouses.

Also consider air pollution, boat pollution. Heck even fisherman taking a pee in the lake contribute...
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Run off from fields that include fertilizers, herbicides and in addition fecal matter from live stock are a much larger contributing factor.

Yes the thousands of cottages do have some effect. but the majority of cabins have septic tanks. and yes some cottage owners fertilize and spray for dandelions. and some have outhouses.

Also consider air pollution, boat pollution. Heck even fisherman taking a pee in the lake contribute...
Gull has far more intensive farming activity in its' watershed than Pigeon does, yet it doesn't get the blue green algae problem to the point where warnings have to be issued like Pigeon does.

Yes Gull has all sorts of cottages and developments around it as well, but if farming is the major source of water quality contaminants then it should reach the tipping point long before Pigeon ever does.

Blaming farming as the major contributor to Pigeon's water quality problems is the easy cop out while overlooking the significant contribution from suburban type development surrounding the lake (which includes numerous golf courses as well).
Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 PM

The farms, cabins and golf courses have been there since I was born at Pigeon Lake 61 years ago. What has changed is the north shore now has a sewage collection system so there is a lot less of that stuff going in the lake. Also what has changed is that millions of walleye were stocked in the lake and once they grew up they ate all the minnows that used to eat the algae. Now there is no perch, few whitefish or pike, and lots of walleye and blue green algae. Just my observation over 6 decades.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:53 PM

As fisher1 said above I have heard of a second theory.

The non scientific jist of it is that the Blue green algae is a result of the stocking program that has taken place at Pigeon lake.

The idea is that the increase in overall minnows, fry, fingerlings, etc. has lowered the level of small water insects, etc which in turn has lowered the microscopic organisms that naturally eat algae.
The lake's natural "filter" has been damaged.

Yes the farms have been there forever and yes the cabins have been there forever, and yes other lakes have been stocked.
Having said that I think it is safe to say that both sewage quantities and practices have changed in the past 60 years, and farming practices have changed in the past 60 years.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Has anyone been out to Pigeon lately?

How's the fishing? How's the ice?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Was out on Saturday by the PP. Ice was 21" and good.
Fishing however wasn't so good, one like and one small walleye in 5 hours.

"She'll go"
Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post
Where were you fishing?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Don't sit still if the fish are not biting. You have to move. I was out a couple of weeks a go and did just fine even though the fish cops said no one else on the lake was catching anything.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
Where were you fishing?
Hi BrownTrout on this forum PP usually means Provincial Park.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Don't sit still if the fish are not biting. You have to move. I was out a couple of weeks a go and did just fine even though the fish cops said no one else on the lake was catching anything.
Ya for sure Cube, I definitely move around and search for them if I'm not seeing any action but last Sunday was -30 with the wind, I was hunkered down in my tent!

"She'll go"
Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Ya for sure Cube, I definitely move around and search for them if I'm not seeing any action but last Sunday was -30 with the wind, I was hunkered down in my tent!
I here ya
Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Fish taste good out of pigeon. Never a problem but I only fish the winter. Still need to fill some tags and might do that next week.. Sure alot better tasting than Carson. Those have to be the worst tasting fish in Alberta. I say that because I grew up in BC and having fresh wild rainbow 5 minutes from where I lived was unreal.

Last edited by spoons; 01-19-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Default Pigeon Lake health

Bottom line is for some the health of pigeon is a concern for others it isn't. Algae and fish die offs are natural and occur in Mountain lakes where there is no civilization. The point here is if your concerned about it then just practise catch and release and don't bother taking tags away from those of us who don't have a issue with filling them and enjoying the very rare legally kept Alberta Walleye. If you have no intention of making use of a draw then don't apply.

Outdoorfanatic
Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Bottom line is for some the health of pigeon is a concern for others it isn't. Algae and fish die offs are natural and occur in Mountain lakes where there is no civilization. The point here is if your concerned about it then just practise catch and release and don't bother taking tags away from those of us who don't have a issue with filling them and enjoying the very rare legally kept Alberta Walleye. If you have no intention of making use of a draw then don't apply.

Outdoorfanatic
If I catch two in my class size this winter, I will be keeping them. Filling the tags I appled for, won and paid for.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:56 PM

I'll still eat em during the cold water season
Old 03-15-2016, 08:02 PM

Caught a few walleye on the weekend. 2 were in my tag class. Man they were tasty

Old 03-17-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
The farms, cabins and golf courses have been there since I was born at Pigeon Lake 61 years ago. What has changed is the north shore now has a sewage collection system so there is a lot less of that stuff going in the lake. Also what has changed is that millions of walleye were stocked in the lake and once they grew up they ate all the minnows that used to eat the algae. Now there is no perch, few whitefish or pike, and lots of walleye and blue green algae. Just my observation over 6 decades.
well said,, the other contributing factor is the dead fish rotting on the bottom of the lake. everyone knows fish is the best fertilizer , to bad the walleye harvest never got started earlier. hope the biologist have learned a lesson and do not ruin any more lakes.