Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Badger sets

Default Badger sets

I am wondering if any one knows how to set conibear type traps for badgers? What type of bait works? When do badgers start to come out and move about?
Old 03-14-2003, 02:08 PM
badgers?

Default badgers?

Anyone?Anyone here? I would appericiate any help on how to trap or snare badgers. What traps to use. Also how much $ are badgers going for right now?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:05 PM
sheepless

Default Badger sets

Mad Trapper, I have seen/used a couple of sets in the past. One is to simply put a 330 conibear at the hole entrance. This is effective when you see fresh digging and tracks when there is snow cover. Simply follow the tracks to the hole the badger is currently in and set the trap. It's good to camoflage it with a little grass and make sure the hole is large enough so that when sprung the trap does spring it will not hit solid ground and "jump", resulting in a miss. If the hole is too small dig it out to make sure this doesn't happen. The second method is to make a small stucco/chicken wire "pen" around the hole. Have one opening in the "pen" the size of a 330 conibear and then simply put one there. If using this technique stake the wire down so it may not be pushed over. In the past auction badgers averaged $39 and the top lot went for $106. I hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:06 PM
badgertraping

Default badgertraping

The best thing that I have found for trapping badgers is skunks.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Rob

Default Re: badgertraping

Hey Crockett,

Explain?

Rob
Old 03-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Trappin mr badger

Default Trappin mr badger

Another method of catchin mr badger is usin a 330 conni and a box.Make a box similar as to the ones we use for marten with a 120.Only make it big enough for a 330 .Make a 3 sided box and leave the bottom side open.Place the box over the hole and throw some dirt over the top of it..leaving the entry open.Hope this helps...Zepf.:hat :hat P.S. Remind me to talk to Rob about gettin an i con with a fur hat and a pipe.(more woodsy and sterotypical trapper like.