Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulee View Post
Human behaviour never fails to amaze me. What they did to you was ignorant, plain and simple. If they are too lazy and stupid to find another hole then they can go to hell and take their rods with them. A few years ago I was fly fishing one of my spots on the Bow. I made the mistake of landing a nice brown just as a guide and two clients floated by. The guide, upon seeing me land this fish immediately oars the boat right on top of me and orders his clients to get out and start fishing my hole. Which they did. I told all three of them to go "You know what", then I suggested they not pay their guide because he's a useless @#$%^. They quickly left. Sometimes being polite is completely wasted on ignorant people. I hope you're not bothered by those @#$% heads again.
X50!!! like what ya did there sir!!! stand up and say TAKE A FLYING F off
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM

absolutely true.

If someone has the audacity, and complete lack of manners to do something like that, how can you expect them to have the morals and intelligence, to respond to polite conversation?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 PM

Never ceases to amaze me at how White guys are such low-brow red necks (some, not all - *sarcasm, just in case you don't get it*). I love the "Me no speaka English" comment and how everyone is so quick to jump up and stand up for a hole in the ice, yet unwilling to say anything to a remark that disparages an entire community of CANADIANS based on their ethnic/cultural background. No, it's NOT OK to spread stereotypes and bigotry based on a few experiences and no it's NOT OK to try and revert an entire generation's fight against racism.

Anyhow, fishing etiquette can be learned and the fishing ignorance can be replaced with knowledge/understanding. Unfortunately, the other type of ignorance displayed here is probably permanent.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 AM

Here's a tip: act weird.

It sounds rediculous, but next time someone gets in your personal space, just walk up to him and stand a few inches from him, staring at his face. Seriously, it will work.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=boot;658454]Never ceases to amaze me at how White guys are such low-brow red necks (some, not all - *sarcasm, just in case you don't get it*). I love the "Me no speaka English" comment

Boot,.. give me the Me no speaka English" comment ,. and ya just might GET THE BOOT!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 AM

I agree with a lot of the sentiments on here. I for one have no personal vendetta against the asians fishing our lakes. I have had issues like the one described in the OP on more than one occasion. I think culture is the main reason, they just don't see it as wrong. One of the funniest things I have seen was an asian guy sits down right next to me at Twin lakes. The look on his face when I released my fish was hilarious. He just couldn't believe I just did that. There have been many times when there is lots of room out there but for some reason the asians have to be right beside us and constantly crossing lines. no apologies ever, just a look like "sorry about your luck". It is really tough to keep calm in times like that.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

Just to get back on track about etiquette, and not about racism or the like, I would like to make a comment about sharing the space we all have to fish in. I followed a thread on this and another forum last winter and even tried to participate in the discussion until the comments became threatening and way off track. It concerned the placement of ice shacks on the lakes and the proximity to which another fisher is allowed to stand and drill a hole or nine. The whole argument seemed to revolve around trespassing on another persons "property". Enough about that.
This summer, while exploring Diefenbaker Lake and particularly the area around Hitchcock Bay, I discovered several marker buoys installed in key access points at the entrance of smaller coves within the bay, as well as a couple that were anchored off-shore that turned out to mark a pair of very productive humps. Curious as ever, I decided to get a little closer and see what the deal was. PRIVATE said the legend painted on the buoys. For further information call (insert phone #). Upon further examination, I discerned that if you anchored at that spot, you could cast the entire cove and weed-line and not spook the inhabitants of said cove.
So! I said to myself. Is this the same phenomenon as the ice shanties? Can I fish here without being rammed or "held for the authorities"? Should I tie-up to this private marker or should I anchor alongside? Maybe I should just push off and find another hole? Can you help me with this dilemma and finally answer this question? Am I being discourteous if I encroach on these buoys? Or was someone else doing us all an injustice by placing the buoys at those, or any, spots?
As it turned out, I was able to catch my first sauger while doing just that. Indeed I hooked (jig and plastics) walleye and sauger at all the buoys that I came near that day and will go back to those spots again. One such cove had about a billion perch fry in it and will be a destination this winter with the new Frabill tent. What say you?
Not another Canadian on that part of the lake all day, free-born or otherwise.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Darren, I feel your pain. Crappy that it happens, but obviously these guys do not have any respect for other outdoorsmen.

I'm not sure it's necessarily a respect issue. They are non-canadian-born Chinese. They are used to crowding, being on top of each other. Personal space is different. I'd cut them some slack, but I would have asked that they give me a little space after I moved and they still came over. If they couldn't understand I would have motioned them to move. If they didn't, then my assessment changes to lack of respect.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not sure it's necessarily a respect issue. They are non-canadian-born Chinese. They are used to crowding, being on top of each other. Personal space is different. I'd cut them some slack, but I would have asked that they give me a little space after I moved and they still came over. If they couldn't understand I would have motioned them to move. If they didn't, then my assessment changes to lack of respect.
At the end of the day from all the repiles that pretty well sums it up. I'm not going fishing to look for as fight, and I can handle any situation in a diplomatic matter. Being 6 foot five inches helps at times. PS- I always liked your picture of the "Green Bast---"
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFisherman View Post
Boot,.. give me the Me no speaka English" comment ,. and ya just might GET THE BOOT!
Is that an attempt at wit? So, as long as a china-man doesn't come near your fishing spot and speak his china-man language, he's OK with you. If he does, you'll apply your inbred hillbilly sense of justice on him? I guess that's what being a man is all about... being able to stand up for "ME ME ME", yet never understanding that "ME" is the problem.

Yes, this thread is way off topic and I know people don't want to chime in, because racism isn't an easy topic to discuss. But there are some things you need to stand up for... and no, I'm not talking about a hole in the ice or a few meters of space on the river.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Default !!!

FFs original reply is EXACTLY CORRECT!!!!!
call RAP.
they're obviously emmer effers.
not worth your time.
call em in.
they get a well deserved fine and you may even get a cash reward!!!!
race has nothing to do with this.
if you're being a (*&^$ and breaking regs i'm calling the fish cops on you every time. AND i encourage EVRYONE to do the same.
these meat heads are counting on our complacency.
REPORT A POACHER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 AM

This will be my last post on this thread... but based on what we know, how do you think that RAP call is going to go?

RAP: Rap Hotline, what can we do for you?
Wildman: I'd like to report 3 poachers!
RAP: Where are you located and what are these poachers doing?
Wildman: These poachers are fishing the NSR!
RAP: NSR is open to angling.
Wildman: I know, but they look like emmer effers.
RAP: What exactly are these individuals doing?
Wildman: They crowded me out of their spot and they're keeping everything they catch.
RAP: What have they caught?
Wildman: I don't know, they're emmer effers and I don't want to be complacent.
RAP: Can you see what they've caught and kept?
Wildman: Aw forget it. I can't waste my time trying to find out facts. Can I get a reward?
RAP: *click*
Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM

I just re-read every post in this thread, and I cant find any posts that I personally find racist?? I think a poster made a assumption about poaching, but then apologized for jumping to that conclusion in a later post, good for him/her. I thought darren's question was about etiquette, and I feel like he posted that question tactfully, and the reference to culture was more to explain that, " saying something politely" would not have worked due to a language barrier.

I guess my point is this thread was about etiquette, not poaching and not cultural differences.

One man's opinion, its worth exactly what it cost you. Happy fishing.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM

OK everyone take a deep breath... We are going of topic from my original post. My general consensus is that I was treated rudely, but I can write that off to a culture thing, but I should be able to speak\ act out my concern freely, of my opinion to them of which I can do in the future. How they accept that I cannot control. This is what I learned to do from this thread for next time. As far as poaching I did not stick around long enough, but if I did see a walleye or sturgeon pulled out you bet I would at the very least call that in. I seen a couple suckers and a bunch of goldeye of which they can keep ten (more than I thought). Discussing peoples culture of which this thread came to be cannot be intermixed with racial or stereo type comments. That was not the intent, and I apologize if people intended it that way. I'm not out to change the world or peoples opinions but perhaps listen and learn, and maybe be the better for it.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM

I lied, that wasn't my last post on this thread.

coreya3212: So you don't think a statement like this is racist?

"2 I find Asian’s (some, not all) just don't give a dam, cuz they think we can put on our "we don't speaka English" routine and get away with it!"

And then continued mockery of our ability to adapt to the English language with "we don't speaka English"?

What exactly is racist to you? A white mask and pointy hat?

Darren:
I get what you're saying and none of my comments are directed at you. But the point I'm trying to get across, is that when something comes up that is worth taking a stand for, then it's time to step up.

Take for instance when someone creates a thread about catching and eating a fish in a C&R river. The thread is about how he had a successful day, but I guarantee you that many posters on this site will "get off topic" and blast the guy for not knowing the regulations. Would it be ok at that point to say, "hey, stay on topic... this post isn't about regs, it's about my hero picture!"? No of course not. The poster acted out of ignorance and needs to be blasted! Hopefully, he'll have a learned a thing or two and will read the regs before fishing.

The same thing applies here. I apologize for taking your thread off topic, but sometimes something needs to be said.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM

The statement you refer to, to me, is not racist, offside maybe , fairly similar to your statement about red necks, however you made a better effort to express your intended sarcasm. Without your clarification some may have jumped on you for it. I just felt like the leap to the "r" word was a little bit broad in this case.

As for the rest...

peace friend, sincerly.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 PM

coreya3212:
Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. But this comment is saying multiple things:

"2 I find Asian’s (some, not all) just don't give a dam, cuz they think we can put on our "we don't speaka English" routine and get away with it!"

First, it's saying Asians are selfish. Then it's saying Asians are cowards and liars, because they hide behind a "no English" routine, so they can continue their selfish behaviour. Adding, the "(some, not all)" clause to a statement doesn't make it better. In fact, it makes it worse, because it's an attempt to legitimize the statement.

I grew up in Alberta in the 70s and 80s as a visible minority within an immigrant family. It wasn't always easy and I'm not looking for any sort of sympathy. Generations and other cultures before me had it worse, so I have no right to complain. But, living in Alberta now compared to the 70s and 80s is like night and day. We've come a long way as a society and a community. But it truly irritates me, when I hear or see such backward attitudes and I can't help but say something... whether or not if falls on deaf ears is something I can't control, but I can definitely control my voice.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Boot, I have taken no offence to your posts, and my intent is not to be disrespectfull to you either. I agree the remark could be taken as you have posted. It seems a matter of perception.

I trust the mods will step in if warranted and from what I have seen on this forum, I trust there judgement.

I apologize to Darren for helping derail his thread any further.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM

No worries guys. I appreciatte both of your guys last comments. Glad we ended it on the right note, and would be happy to share my hole with either one of ya. Now lets get back to fishin.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Default !!!

BOOT YER BEING A PUTZ.
give a description, take pics, get a plate ###, observe what they are keeping and report it, oh, and grab a clue while you're at it.
you're as much to blame as the poachers if you're not willing to do anything.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Ok boys and girls this one has carried on long enough and is headed nowhere.
We have people jumping to conclusions calling people poachers that might not be poachers. If you don’t have the facts, your word to most including F&W doesn’t mean jack.
In the end Darren had issues with river etiquette and most will agree with that. It maybe of a culture difference or just lack of respecting someone’s space.

CLOSED!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Closed Thread