Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Unhappy close call with a couger today!

was out deer hunting this morning beautiful morning cold unreal quite, started off great seen an alot of deer sign and a huge bull moose and a cow and calf laying down, got up to a older cut over where ive seen deer feeding couple of times. i was sitting really low between a stump and a little pine tree perfect spot. the sun just started to come over the trees so i got a little dosey(long 14 days at work) about 40 minutes later i thought i seen movement between the trees and long grass couldnt really see through that part. assumed it was one of the fawns tracks i seen going in. couldnt really see anything barely heard anything, all of a sudden i half got up to see just as a huge couger stepped out from behind this little noll in the ground, just as i saw him he let out this amazing growl louder than you could imaginge. i was frozen stiff he was about 30-40 yards. he kept coming through the grass growling making theses unreal noises untill i stood up he was crouched down in the grass, once i was up he i seen him better (they are damm big) he bolted back down to the tree line growling, but he ran towards the way i had to go out. this point i was scared half to death and alone. seen him one more time by the tree line and i let off a shot to scare him off. i tryed to gather myself and get out of there i was a long back on the way out my head was spinning around then 3 grouse flew up right beside me holy crap i jumped about 3 feet. got back to the truck i was glad couldnt get myself back in the bush so it was day over. thats why hunting alone up here is not recomended, but since ive been up here i havnt me any other hunters and i love it more than anything in the world so what do u do.So what was the cat doing trying to eat me?? did i just startle it?? that is a sick feeling when you see teeth, and that growl is burned in the brain!! thanks for listening fellas any feedback wuld be great!
Darrell
Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Wow, Roughneck, what a story! I've always wanted to see a cougar, but that may be a little too close. I often hunt alone in the foothills, but now I find myself on high alert with the grizzly tracks that I have been seeing, and I know that there are more cougars around our area. Glad to hear that you got out OK.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:30 PM

They say you never see the cougar that kills you. I'm glad it worked out for the best.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Sounds like a classic case of the cat stalking a human since most attacks are toward children or adults down on the ground (sleapy deer hunters, berry pickers, little children, etc.). The outcome is also typical since cats are quite wary of humans that rare up and stand their ground.
So do you consider that you had a "cat nap" from hell?
Thanks for the story,
Old 10-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Unhappy couger

ya i knew i shoudnt fall asleep up here its different than nova scotia , wolves, cougers ,coyotes and grizz. i was so tired and the sun felt so good.....lol
Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Hey bud there's more around than you might think- One got hit by a truck North of town, and I saw 2 out in a field just before dark near Wembley...
This is well into the Ag area north of the river, so keep your senses alert when out hunting alone... Not just in the bush, but pretty much anywhere there's deer, there could be cats around... I'm glad to hear your story, and that it turned out the way it did.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:43 PM

in 1999ish, i was in the foothills in 326 using a predator call to call mule doe and had a mom and two cubs show up instead. the mom came to within 16 feet from my muzzle.
i know what you felt cause i bin there too.
my brother also had a cougar incident except he filmed the whole thing.
ive also called in several lynx as well but not quite as scary.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 PM

There seems to be alot of them lately,

This spring I had one come to my bear bait, I noticed it as a bear was pacing behind me for about 45 mins. As I turned around the cat was 12 yards away, looking at me and slowly stalking toward me. I grabbed my shotgun then realized nobody would believe me so I grabbed my camera. Got just a clip of his tail as he turned and walked away. scary as hell.

When I got home to watch the video it looks like he stops in a bush about 20 yards away and then is not seen again. I thought he walked off when I elft but apparently was still right there.

Pretty freaky!

Trev
Old 10-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_N_Wide View Post
There seems to be alot of them lately,
There always has been 'lots'...with less cover timber and more roads taking away what used to be habitat.
I have had the oppurtunity to see nine in the wild

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Not to sure if its all hear say or what not but a buddy was talking to a fish and wildlife officer and they some how got to talking about cats...... anyways long story short they figure there are atleast 2 cats per section of land from evansburg west.

I myself am more nervous about encountering a cat than a bear! them things are so effin quiet!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 PM

wwwwow! that's enough to make the butt cheeks chew brown gum!
back in 99 i called in a cougar with a calf elk call, this cat really wanted that calf (me..) real bad. i spotted him at about 80 yards sneaking up on me on a quad trail, since i was bow hunting at the time i felt a little vunderable for the situation at hand. i took out my knife and stuck it in my belt and got an arrow ready, then i unzipped my jacket and stood up and commenced waving my arms and cussing at him. he just lied flat on the ground and every few seconds he crept a little closer...this didn't look good at all! finally after he had closed to about 30 yards i took out a practice arrow and shot it into the big spruces beside him. it hit a tree with a loud whack! and after a few seconds the cat bounded into the bush. needless to say my hunt was over for the day.
i believe we are seeing more of these preditors than ever because the deer population is at an all time high. these animals reproduce according to their food supply so if things continue we will see even more. personally i like the idea that creatures like cougars are still among us after all he was doing the same as me...hunting.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
Hey bud there's more around than you might think- One got hit by a truck North of town, and I saw 2 out in a field just before dark near Wembley...
This is well into the Ag area north of the river, so keep your senses alert when out hunting alone... Not just in the bush, but pretty much anywhere there's deer, there could be cats around... I'm glad to hear your story, and that it turned out the way it did.
Hell, there have been confirmed sightings up here as well as griz!
I can remember an old native talking to me over coffee break about seeing one, it was about 1985 I think.
He had never seen a cougar, but was born and raised in the bush up here, and knew exactly what it was , discribing it perfectly to me.
That was the first I had heard of one in these parts, but they have been cought in snares, killed by trappers, and been seen by reliable people.
I believe they at one time may have covered this area, moved out, and are coming back in.

Cat
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM

I had one stand up in the long grass about 40 yds from me a few years ago one evening while I was calling elk. We also called in two BIG cats about three years ago; but that time the Smokey River was between us. The memory of the encounter will come up many times in the future; it sure does for me when I'm hunting alone.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Default up here is where?

where is this area [up here] you are talking about 71?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Default couger

was in 356 just south of gp.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 PM

I've had two cougar encounters west of sundre in the last two years. Last years was damn scary as I was by myself and it followed me for around 20 minutes. Even a shot from the 30-06 into the tree beside it didn't send it on it's way. I know what you mean by the sound, that is burned into my head too. It was like a throaty wheezing noise while it was following me. Damn scary!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:41 PM

If your into Elk hunting and White tail ... Then I am always lookin for a partner to go with.... nothing feels better then knowing that there is someone there to pull you out when you need them!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Wowzers! So he was hunting you then? Jeepers. I saw one once up the Fort Mac area but I was in my truck and he was troting away.

""cat nap" from hell?" - good one.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Cougar

Close one,

Bowhunting a few years ago in 324 I watched a mating pair on a cut line for about 20 mins. Awesome sight, lots of growling and yowling as they circled around touched noses etc. When they went their separate ways out of sight, I went back to the truck and moved to another area to continue my hunt. No sense being stupid about it, a hungry cat I can understand, but hungry and horny I will leave be.

Was up on moose mountain in 406 two weeks ago and there were fresh (snow still falling into them) tracks crossing the road. Kind of keeps you on your toes as you walk up a foggy mountain by yourself.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 PM

How cool of a story is that RN71 for the boys back home! They'll never believe ya! Glad it worked out for the best.

I've had two encounters in the same place (same cat probably)......about 1km west of the Calgary city limit sign! The first was from walking out of my favourite fishing hole at dusk. The ground was wet and the wind was in my face. We surprised each other on the trail at about 35 yards. Oh, did I mention that I was carting out some trout? We kind of stared at each other for a minute and it disappeared into the bush. The area obviously has quite a bit of human activity so this guy was alot more flight than fight. The second time was a couple of seasons later within 100 yards of the first encounter, and I spooked him off of a WT kill. Cool. Also, my buddy's parents have an acherage near DeWinton (just south of the Calgary limits) and they had a pair den up in their hay loft. Oh, and one of the coolest cat things I've ever seen was out in the Ghost where we came across a really big set of Grizz tracks (VERY fresh), that were overlaid by a HUGE set of cat tracks! Then I went home.

Tree