Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Default more & more mule deer

Is it just me or has anyone esle noticed that where you used to see white tail you see mule deer now.
if you ask me..open season on them and not draw
They are pushing out the white tail.
Or do you think it is me just ranting? Darrell
Old 10-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Don't worry about it....your biologist will look after the problem. HA !!

Then in a few years you will have to wipe them out due to CWD...like in 234.

Sorry if I sound a little sceptical.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Is it just me or has anyone esle noticed that where you used to see white tail you see mule deer now.
if you ask me..open season on them and not draw
They are pushing out the white tail.
Or do you think it is me just ranting? Darrell

I wish it would happen in the areas I hunt, I would welcome more mulies any day. I like the tast of mulie better. At the moment there are small pockets of mulies spread out here and there.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 PM

Default mule deer

I used to think that the mule deer should be an open season as well as in my area they out number whitetail 10 to 1. But then I got thinking about it and because of how dumb mule deer are they would be extinct after two hunting seasons.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:33 PM

10 years hunting Edmonton area (east) I saw mainly whitetails and tons of ducks. 10 years hunting Calgary (east) I see mostly mulies and tons of geese.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
But then I got thinking about it and because of how dumb mule deer are they would be extinct after two hunting seasons.
Yea they are called the "second chance deer" and for good reason....if they spook they bound for a # of yards stop and give you a nice board side shot.

But in all fairness to the mulies the WT's are becomeing that way as well.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM

I haven't seen too many big bucks do the stop and look. They didn't get big for no reason. They head for the next county as quick as any whitey.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM

agreed. the big ones can be as wary as any wt.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:19 PM

I had one real nice muly buck in 438 stop and look a (5x5) with a nice spread, his life was spared twice. One was my fault (30 yards away) and never squeased the trigger, this was my 1st year out hunting. He bound for about 40 years ,stopped gave me a board side shot, I was putting my sights on him when a muley doe stood right beside him and covered the side that was visable. My brother saw the same buck later but couldn't fine a good place to place a good shot. Trees saved him this time.

Last edited by Dunezilla; 10-22-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:20 PM

If you look at the records, back in the settling years all there were was Mule Deer. A trapper who lived near Sundre where my clan is from didn't see a single Whitetail until 1945! He had moved there from Wisconsin 40+ years before that and knew the area very well. Now we are over run with the Whitetail and have hardly any Muley left. Those that are there are spindly little buggers, mostly meat bucks. There are big ones but on "no hunting" land as a general rule.

I would love to see the Muley population explode. If anything I believe the pushing is all done by the other brand of deer.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 PM

I noticed more WT and less Mulies in 402 this year. About 15 years ago it was the other way round.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 AM

I remember years ago when mulies were open down south here, and it was hard to find anything 3 point or better and now that they have been draw for at least 10 years we have some crankers. I wish they would put WT on draw here as well, I think we could grow some decent WT here if we would give them a chance.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Default I agree....sorta

I'm with Bubba, sorta. I agree that something has to be done for the Wt in the south (as far as growing trophy bucks). I know a number of landowners around home here that have posted their land, or at least completely eliminated vehicle use on their properties. Wow what a difference! Some of the locals quit swathing their sloughs to give them some place to hide. I know that we couldn't hold a candle to the bucks of the north but we are starting to see some Wt bucks get around 150". That's a bunch bigger than we used to see. As far as Mule deer numbers we are a long ways from the numbers we were seeing a couple years ago with the increase in tags available and the CWD hunting. If your persuing a monster mulie round here I think your a couple years too late.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=Noel;64050]
I would love to see the Muley population explode. QUOTE]

I'm with you brother, bring on the mulies. I would love to see more mulies in 337, 339, 328 and 330 in the areas I hunt, oh and add 334 in there to. There is Fish and Game land in 334 that could use some mulies, about 30 per site would be nice.