Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Default WMU 418 and Sheep?

Was thinking of wandering back into 418 this coming Saturday and noticed that it's open for a general tag for sheep. Are there actually sheep back there before you get into the park? I've walked along some of the cliffs but never wandered any farther than where the terrain gets really tough. I'd be tempted to make an 8 hour hike out there if I thought there was a middling chance of filling a tag.

Reason for wanting to go back there is to see if I can't find a wolf. Seen lots of coyotes out by the Mountainaire Lodge. Tried finding a black bear out around the burnt hills with no luck. Still I like to watch the herds of mule deer that wander the area feeding on the open hill sides.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
sheephunter

Yup...lots of sheep in 418 especially if you get some nasty weather towards the end of the season. It is a long hike back in there but I know that there is the odd ram taken right around the ranch. I got into a big band there nearly 20 years ago but my inexperience screwed the stalk up and the last we saw of them, they were running over the mountain.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM

I thought I would depend on the weather. I know it's not supposed to be very nice by the weekend so I'm going to be giving a mountaineering friend of mine a call and see if he wouldn't mind "guiding" me back there. He has more experience than anyone I've met as far as hiking through, over, around and anything else to do with making your way around.

Didn't realize they would be found near the ranch though. Still good to know. Hopefully I can get things organized and have a good hunt this Saturday.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Always a possibility, but because of accessability, one of those really heavily hunted areas. The life expectancy of a legal ram leaving the Park there is probably about 15 minutes.
Grizz
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM
sheephunter

Heavily hunted? Things must have changed since I was back in there last. Ran into a couple horse guys but pretty much had the place to myself. Lots of places the horse guys can't go too that hold rams. I guess it all depends how much you are willing to get off the beaten path.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Heavily hunted? Things must have changed since I was back in there last. Ran into a couple horse guys but pretty much had the place to myself. Lots of places the horse guys can't go too that hold rams. I guess it all depends how much you are willing to get off the beaten path.
You got it. The crowd gather at the easy and popular places. The basins at the top end of the Dogrib are probably a good bet the last couple of days, if you are lucky and can get there.
Grizz
Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

The place crawls with sheep hunters! There is one on every mountain top. It has been that way every year I gone so far except for last year. But that is because I didn't go to 418.

If you can really haul and get farther back than the others you might do alright. We always get beat to the top tho... Two years ago it was the wild west with three different outfits chasing one "just legal" ram. We ended up sitting and watching the festivities with yet another group of sheep hunters..

Sheep:9
Noel:0