Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Default Africa photos

If anyone is interested in posting my photos for me, I have some from this past March's hunt in Namibia. I will e-mail to whoever is willing to post them. I'm not computor savy or even semi-savy.

Bobby B.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM

Could you tell us more about your trip? I have been interested in hunting there and would like to know the safari operator who you went with, and your overall experience. Sorry can't help you with the picture posting but hope we get a chance to view your pics.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM

I will do it for you. My Email is mitchell0724@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0724 View Post
I will do it for you. My Email is mitchell0724@gmail.com
You da man Mitchell

tm
Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
You da man Mitchell

tm
Lol anytime
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the offer, I'll e-mail some photos and script tomorrow. Thought I'd have time tonight but just too many things to deal with right now. Thanks, again.

Bobby B.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM

I have the pictures and they are awesome. Sorry I couldnt reply any sooner I was at school. They will be posted soon
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM
sheephunter

Awesome...can't wait!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Warthog killed with 168 Berger and 7RM. I'm the one on the right.

My waterbuck killed next door to the Gras Ranch on the Hoodia Ranch. Left to right; Stephan the Stud, Bobby B. and Picky. They blacks are wearing Berger bullet shirts I gave them.

The elnad was killed on the Hoodia ranch next door to the Gras Ranch where I was lodged. The man standing and waving in Rhinehart Schultz the owner of Hoodia. Rhinehart was kind enough to allow me to hunt eland and waterbuck on his land, he had plenty of both. This particular eland is the largest ever killed on Hoodia.

Rhinehart is performing a German hunting tradition; a stem of grass is placed in the dead animal's mouth and another stem of grass is placed on a hat then passed to the hunter.

Me, my wife, and Errol my PH.

Another shameless plug for Berger Bullets.

Entrance of the single 168 Berger which killed my eland.

Arrival at Rhinehart's home on Hoodia Ranch. He invited us over for celebratory champagne and drinks.

The toughest trophy of all shot in the last hour of the last day. Nice big alpha baboon.

Great pictures Bob!!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM

What a trip! Congrats. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
sheephunter

Looks awesome Bobby. I have to say that a waterbuck and eland are still very high on my list. Congrats on what looks like a great hunt. Can't wait to hear the tale.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM

That is awsome..especially the baboon!!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Might i ask what a trip like that cost??
Right from the time you left to the time you got back?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM

It's difficult to determine the exact costs of the hunt as it was the final segment of a greater vacation. We first did a self-drive tour of namibia (3 weeks) then of northern Botswana (1 week) then a week of hunting. I believe the hunt itself was around $8000.00 for the two of us including a $800.00 tip. This did not include air fare. We flew business class to Frankfurt and Windhoek return so that definetly adds to the cost of the overall vacation.

The 4 week tour was pretty good too. Saw and experienced lots of things. So much so that we're putting together a 5-6 week trip in Argentina.

Thanks Mitch for posting the photos. I wish I knew how.

Bobby B.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM

So do you get any of the meat or do the locals have at it?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Wow Sir......looks like an amazing trip.

I knew eland were big but that thing has a huge body. How would you say it compares to a big AY moose??

tm

ps....thanx to Mitchell as well
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 PM

As a rule, the hunter eats wild game meat although it is not always of the animal he killed. The reason for this is quite simple, while the meat from every animal killed becomes the property of the ranch, the ranch prefers to age the meat much as we prefer to age our beef or wild game. Thus, while the hunter eats game, it is mostly that of the hunters who precedented said hunter. While I was obvious in my request for some eland tenderloin or backstrap, we ate none as Rhinehart wished to sell all the meat.

Those with some experience in the matter guesstimated my eland at 800-850 kg. I believe this to be on par with AY moose although the moose would be much taller and the eland much stockier. The eland is built much more muscular than a AY moose but has less height and shorter legs. The AY moose would certainly stand taller at the shoulder.

My thanks again to Mitch for posting the photos.

Bobby B.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Congrats on another fine trip.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
ps....thanx to Mitchell as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post

Bobby B.
No problem guys
Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
As a rule, the hunter eats wild game meat although it is not always of the animal he killed. The reason for this is quite simple, while the meat from every animal killed becomes the property of the ranch, the ranch prefers to age the meat much as we prefer to age our beef or wild game. Thus, while the hunter eats game, it is mostly that of the hunters who precedented said hunter. While I was obvious in my request for some eland tenderloin or backstrap, we ate none as Rhinehart wished to sell all the meat.

Those with some experience in the matter guesstimated my eland at 800-850 kg. I believe this to be on par with AY moose although the moose would be much taller and the eland much stockier. The eland is built much more muscular than a AY moose but has less height and shorter legs. The AY moose would certainly stand taller at the shoulder.

Bobby B.

So tell me as I am curious, how does an eland steak taste? If you did get some of another one?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightgun View Post
So tell me as I am curious, how does an eland steak taste? If you did get some of another one?
We ate a lot of it when we were in Namibia and like all of the antelope, it was really good. Not sure what to compare it to but it is very good. All of the antelope that I've tasted are Very flavourful but it's a mild flavour if that makes sense. Good thing because there is a lot of meat on one....lol It was our PH's favourite.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 PM

I agree with Sheep, all the game there tastes pretty good. However, I should reserve judgement for when I try eating any of it when sober. Every night there is somewhat of a party; lots of conversation, lots of laughs, lots of drinking, lots of everything. Sometimes I ponder if we hunters are so enthralled with the hunting there or if we're so enthralled with the lifestyle.

Bobby B.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I agree with Sheep, all the game there tastes pretty good. However, I should reserve judgement for when I try eating any of it when sober. Every night there is somewhat of a party; lots of conversation, lots of laughs, lots of drinking, lots of everything. Sometimes I ponder if we hunters are so enthralled with the hunting there or if we're so enthralled with the lifestyle.

Bobby B.

Where do I sign up? lol.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Bobby B.
No kidding. "I cant remember if i actually went or it was just a dream?" Oh yea, I have to pic up my mounts and pay for them next weekend. Reallity!!!
Africa is one of my funnest expieriences.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 PM
sheephunter

There was something civilized about sitting around the boma after a hot day in the sun and having a couple cold beers and then moving onto to something more sophisticated. Our PH was a fan of brandy and Coke...it became a favourite of ours too! Can't wait to get back. Our mounts should be done in a week or so as well. Pretty pumped to get them home.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Sheep, you mentioned your interest in eland and waterbuck. During our tour, we stayed in Edo's camp in Botswana. One evening, the manager took us out for a 1.5 hour game drive. In this time, we spotted over 100 kudu and probably over 50 eland. It was quite a 'bushy' area so the hunting would be rather exciting. In fact, the manager, who was also a PH, stated the average shot was 60-70 yards. In contrast, the average shot at Gras is close to 300 yds.. IIRC, Tholo Safaris hunts the area. It's where I would have gone if I knew about it before booking with Gras Ranch. Also, the permanent tents as well as everything else were in excellent condition.

Bobby B.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
sheephunter

Thanks Bobby. There are definitely a couple more African trips on the horizon for us. I'll check them out.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM

looks like a great trip congrats on those fantastic animals!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Looks like alot of fun, might just have to look at doing something like that as well. The pics look pretty amazing as well. Nice pics and thanks for sharing, it's always neat to see animals from all over the world.
Thanks again.