Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 PM

Default Bear Baiting Conflict!!

So me and a buddy of mine starting baiting last spring, and i was lucky enough to shoot my first bear last season. We went out and found a really nice cut line and set up about 400 yards down the line just off a cutblock. We built a really nice tree stand that stays there all year round. so we went in this spring and have had really great luck again, it got hammered right off the bat and we are getting trail cam photos of a huge 6 foot boar. Well one Sunday we went out and were checking baits and there is a guy set up baiting about 100 yards off the road. so i nailed a note to the tree where he had his sign letting him know that we were just down the cutline and that when we came in none of his stuff was there. Well i got a phone call this weekend from the guy. He proceeded to tell me that he has been baiting that site for 10 years and that his signs are up all year round and that i should have seen them. Well the fact of the matter is they WERE NOT there when we went in. So during our conversation on the phone he basically told me he will stay out of that site for the season, but after that i should pull my barrels and my stand because that would be the "ethical" thing to do!! Just wondering what you guys thought. Would you believe what he is saying or go tell him to pound salt?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:21 PM

Telling him to pound sand while I was laughing would have been my response.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM

"The ethical thing to do"??!!
As far as he was concerned maybe, then he would have hornswaggled you right out of a bait site that you obviously were using this year and he was not.
Just because he was there in the past does not make it his - he has to dismantle the site every year, as you do.
Next season it's "first come first served"!
Cat
Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 PM

Don't thank him for letting you hunt his spot.....it never belonged to him in the first place.

Tell him that hunting public land is a first come first serve concept.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 PM

im pretty sure he leaves his barrels in there all year round. as well as the signs apparently. he told me i should have "seen his signs and his barrels that were there and never have went in there in the first place!"
Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 PM

I do however realize that it is not such a good idea that we have 2 bait sites within 200-300 yards of eachother, but im new to this and am trying to get some sites established for years to come.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM

If we are talking about public land and your account of events is correct, I believe you are BOTH jackazzes. Know the laws.......
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 AM

im a ******* because........?!?!?!?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
im a ******* because........?!?!?!?
Quote:
We built a really nice tree stand that stays there all year round.
This is illegal on pubic lands. Pretty simple. You stated the other guy leaves his stuff out year 'round as well.

If true, you are BOTH breaking the law and are as such deemed jackazzes in my books. Thanks for posting publicly though. It will make it easier for F&W to track you down.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 AM

Lol
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM

its illegal to leave a tree stand in the bush all year round? Id love to see where this is in black and white somewhere! because all the regulations on bear baiting say is that your barrels need to be removed and that the site has to be cleaned up of any garbage!! i dont read anything anywhere that says im required to remove a tree stand!! thanks!!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM

Black Bear Baiting
Baiting of black bears is permitted in the following WMUs: 320-324, 330-338, 348, 358-360, 500-507, 509, 510, 512-520, 522, 523, 526, 529-536, 539-542, and portions of WMUs 357, 521, 528 and 544 (check with local Fish and Wildlife Division offices for more information). However, the following restrictions also apply:

Baiting is prohibited within 1.6 km (1 mi.) of occupied dwellings. Owners and occupants of dwellings are exempt from this restriction if they have permission to bait from the owners or occupants of all other dwellings within 1.6 km (1 mi.) of the bait. Other persons may also bait within 1.6 km (1 mi.) of an occupied dwelling if the bait has been authorized in writing by the owners or occupants of that dwelling and all other dwellings within 1.6 km (1 mi.) of the bait.

Baiting is prohibited within 1.6 km (1 mi.) of provincial parks that are not designated as Wildland Provincial Parks, provincial and forest recreation areas and some industrial sites.

Each bait site must have a readily observable sign legibly showing the owner's name, WIN, Big Game Outfitter-guide permit number, or Big Game Guide Designation Number.

Each bait must be posted with surrounding signs to warn other people of its presence.

Baiting is restricted to the open season and the preceding two weeks in each specific WMU.

Contact a Fish and Wildlife Division office for legal land descriptions or more information.

Hunters are reminded that Alberta's Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Livestock Diseases Act and the Public Health Act apply to baiting situations. Any livestock dying other than through proper slaughter for human consumption must be disposed of in prescribed ways and may not be used for baiting bears. Containers or wrappings made of paper, cardboard, plastic or other materials should not be left at bait sites. For the safety of others, baits should not be placed near active work sites (e.g., tree planting locations) and all bait sites must be cleaned immediately after the bear season.

Supplemental Black Bear Licences
Supplemental Black Bear Licences are available in the following WMUs: 224, 250, 258, 260, 320-360, 429, 445, 500-544 and 841.

If you could... i would like you point out where it says im required to remove my tree stand.

Last edited by buck-8835; 05-17-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 AM

hey Buck i would tell that guy with the other bear bait to lick my brown eye, and as for tree guy tell him to lick as well, hes obviously retarded and didn't read your message, just another guy on this site to make threads like this go sideways..
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 AM

You can't legally build a stand on public property, and leave it in place on a permanent basis.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 AM

I agree with Treeguy you are both jackazzes, why would you leave your tree stand all year round. I bet you would be **** off if you find someone sitting in your tree stand next season with their bait barrel nearby. You give all hunters a bad name, have some courtesy and let other hunters set up their tree stand . The way I look at it, you are marking your hunting spot by leaving your tree stand.

Last edited by lilsundance; 05-17-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 AM

Default treestands

I feel for you about the situation .. my choice ? hunt that area hard now and get that bear .. next year you know the other guy is going to be back . As for the thing about leaving your stand there year round ? Keeping reading in your Regs , all stands must be removed at end of the season ... sorry .
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

ya pal im the one that gives hunters a bad name?!?! give your friggin toque a twist moron you know nothing about what I do in the community with regards to hunting organizations. The stand is built from dead fall we found on the ground. I dont really wanna go spend all the money on store bought stands after all the threads i read on here about them getting stolen. I dont see how me taking wood that was once laying on the ground and nailing 8 feet up in a tree could make any difference as to "giving hunters a bad name," or for that matter being of any harm to the environment. However, if this is the law and they are indeed required to come down at the end of the season i will pull all of the nails out of the tree and leave the wood on the ground where i found it. Really nice to see that a guy new to the bear baiting scene comes on here for a bit of advice from fellow hunters and sportsman and instead gets ripped apart by a bunch of bored **** heads that just sit and home and try to start conflict over the internet. Have a great season gentlemen, and thanks again!!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Really nice to see that a guy new to the bear baiting scene comes on here for a bit of advice from fellow hunters and sportsman and instead gets ripped apart by a bunch of bored **** heads that just sit and home and try to start conflict over the internet.
More like you posted thinking that everyone would take your side, in this situation, and now you are annoyed after being told that your plans to leave permanent treestands in place on public property would be illegal.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Telling him to pound sand while I was laughing would have been my response.
Yup, for sure. As long as you are OK with him staying where he is this season too. If you told me to pound sand, I'd say "Ok, see you at our baits. May the best man win".

Frankly, I tend to believe his story. It fits with his offer. I'd work something out with him for next year, some agreement about how far apart. You can end up being friends or you can end up being enemies.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I do however realize that it is not such a good idea that we have 2 bait sites within 200-300 yards of eachother, but im new to this and am trying to get some sites established for years to come.
Good attitude. So work it out with him.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Funny....new to bear baiting, but arguing about rules and regs with experienced hunters. HHmmm, wonder how the conversation really went on the phone.
How about this,
1. Go make a friend
2. Go shoot a big bear
3. remove ALL your stuff from the area when the season is done
4. call new friend and ask how his hunting went.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 PM

I had a bait site one year; I got a call from a guy who had a bait 200 yards from me. I had no idea he had one there as I came in from a different direction then him. I did have mine in before him; he was ok with it and told me he would stay out of my bait if I agreed to do the same. I told him that I would not bait in that area next year as he had his bait there for many years. I would never knowingly put a bait near someone else and I hope others would do the same. I wouldn't bait at someone's old bait site as well just in case they were to return. But that's just me.

Good luck this spring.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Public land, as far as I'm concerned you can set your stand on the next tree over.

Baiting a couple hundred yards apart would only mean that if you don't stock your bait for a few days the bear's aren't going to vacate the area for lack of food.

As for taking the big bruin he's had his eye on. Too bad. Many of the public land I hunt near Edmonton, if you get bent out of shape for running in to a few hunters you might as well stay home.

Instead share the knowledge, sounds that in this case one guys looking for the monster whilemthe other is trying to shoot his first bear.