Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Rangefinders

I'm looking at getting a new range finder , one that will range deer etc in excess of 400 yds .. don't have money for the leicas , swaros and the like . Any one tried the bushnell legend 1200 arc ? thanx for any advice .
Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

I picked one up a couple weeks ago- wss accepted that canadian tire had the for sale for 319.99 and matched the price. I think it's a good one but it is my first and I have never used anything else so cant tell you too much.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Default reflective and non reflective ranging targets

Major difference as Leica does not distinguish between the two.
We have ranged a hill with deer on it with my Leica 1200 over 1400 yards away.
Some manufacturers wil tell you their 1200 wil range reflective targets (buildings etc to 1200) but non reflective targets (deer) only to 4 or 500 yards from the same rangefinder.
Every manufacturer has good value for the price point but there is also a huge difference between a $300 rangefinder and $700 - $1000 + Leica, Swaro etc
Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM

If you arn't willing to spend the cash on the high end models unfortunately you are not going to be able to range much farther even if its marked 1200. Check out bushnells webpage they say what they can range at different yardages. I would google rangefinder comparisons to see how they stack up against each other, there is a good review on the 6mmbr.com webpage. If it was me I would ebay for the higher end models there are some very good prices,just last night I saw the swar 6x30 for 630 bucks thats half price and it was new! Or I would buy a used high end over a new low end, you'll be far better off with a unit that will actually range its target.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM

H380,

I run a Nikon which reaches out to only 550 yards, but it works perfect for me. I have had no issues with it, and I am pleased with it's performance. I would buy a Nikon again.

I noticed that Sheephunter is selling a Nikon 1200 Rangefinder in the Optics Buy and sell section for a great price. Maybe it would work for you.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=92033
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I use a Bushnell pro compact 800 a lot. I routinely range things over 6-700 yards. I have ranged over 900 yds. Also has the scan mode so I can follow a coyote and read on the fly. This is the second one I have had. The first one ended up in water and was trashed. I don't think they still make this model so I looked for and found a used one. I'm happy as a clam.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Go with the Leica.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM

I have owned lower priced rangefinders by Bushnell, and higher end Leica units, and I will never own another low priced rangefinder. My Bushnell 800 would not range pronghorns past 300 yards in a light drizzle, which made it pretty well useless during my last pronghorn hunt.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have owned lower priced rangefinders by Bushnell, and higher end Leica units, and I will never own another low priced rangefinder. My Bushnell 800 would not range pronghorns past 300 yards in a light drizzle, which made it pretty well useless during my last pronghorn hunt.
So true elk, you get what you pay for and the lower end rangefinders just don't work that well.