Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Coal Today

Well, First open water trip of the year, headed out to Coal. Water level is WAY up from last year, some guys even had good size fiberglass boats in there. As we pulled up there were some r'tards keeping every fish they caught (all undersize of course). Sat in the truck and called RAP.. hopefully they got busted! What really bugs me is it seems like these guys knew they were breaking the rules because every fish the reeled in got a smack on the head and then went and hidden in their van..
After that we set up in the fog of mosquitos.. NOT COOL. Mosquitos were MISERABLE.

As far as fishing, not toooo bad. Caught about 15 hammer handles, some on wildeyes, spoons, cranks and a couple on topwater baits. No fish over 3-4lbs but still lots of fun!

TONS of people out today, im sure some fellow AO members.

Well that was my saturday, hope yours was as good!
Remember to help out our struggling fisheries and use the RAP line!

Tight lines!
'frenzy
Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Kudos on the RAP call bro. And good to hear the water is up!

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM

had fun out on the lake had the boat out the water is up only caught three little 2-3 pounders but we only fished for about 3 hours and they were caught on a spoons
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazlander View Post
had fun out on the lake had the boat out the water is up only caught three little 2-3 pounders but we only fished for about 3 hours and they were caught on a spoons
Cool, Sounds like fun.
If you want a bit of advice on how to catch more fish here it is. Pull your boat up about 20-40ft off of a weed-bed (the rushes sticking out of the water). Anchor, or just shut the motor off. Take a 5 of diamonds spoon, Storm Wildeye (the biggest perch or pike patterns work best), Mepps Syclops or a spinnerbait, and cast right to the edge of the weed bed. Retrieve SLOW (add the odd jerk if using a Wildeye)
Works great for me.
Other option if you prefer trolling. Put on a 4-6in long "stickbait" (Rapala Husky Jerk) and troll about 30-50 feet off shore in a big weaving S-pattern

Now, you might know this already but just for general knowledge these are the best ways to catch fish at Coal IMHO

Tight lines!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:37 PM

Smile

i was there fishing catch and release ..about 65 fish no size ,axe handles,my fingers are sore
Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I was there yesterday, going today. only caught 1-2 pounders, but a buddy caught one about 15lbs. Fishfinder didn't show many fish like it used to there. I've got RAP on speed dial now, but hope to not see any poachers
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Cool, Sounds like fun.
If you want a bit of advice on how to catch more fish here it is. Pull your boat up about 20-40ft off of a weed-bed (the rushes sticking out of the water). Anchor, or just shut the motor off. Take a 5 of diamonds spoon, Storm Wildeye (the biggest perch or pike patterns work best), Mepps Syclops or a spinnerbait, and cast right to the edge of the weed bed. Retrieve SLOW (add the odd jerk if using a Wildeye)
Works great for me.
Other option if you prefer trolling. Put on a 4-6in long "stickbait" (Rapala Husky Jerk) and troll about 30-50 feet off shore in a big weaving S-pattern

Now, you might know this already but just for general knowledge these are the best ways to catch fish at Coal IMHO

Tight lines!
I agree, I've been fishing at Coal every morning this weekend with the kids and we have pulled in about 50 1-2 pounders with the 5 of diamonds ( although the wife thinks we keep catching the same fish lol ). Red and white spoons were working good on the sunny mornings too.

However if you're planning a trip to Coal, take a bath in bug spray first, the mosquitos are BRUTAL!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeincanada780 View Post
However if you're planning a trip to Coal, take a bath in bug spray first, the mosquitos are BRUTAL!!!!!!!
X1000
50 bites per arm, some on my head, back and feet.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
X1000
50 bites per arm, some on my head, back and feet.
Hahaha, I feel your pain/itch!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Default Coal

Last year there were also a father son duo keeping every fish they caught. They were in a white minivan and we called and told the rangers. Not sure if it's the same people but that seems to be a bad lake for poaching. The guys last year had a buddy in a cab drive down and then he would drive away. I'm assuming that is how they were getting the fish back home. These guys had a system. I'm hoping it's not the same guys but I really don't know if the fish cops ended up busting them.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Heading back out tomorrow morning with a fresh supply of bug juice (my wounds have healed lol), does anyone know of different spots from shore on the south side other than the trail off of the boat launch?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrmaf View Post
Last year there were also a father son duo keeping every fish they caught. They were in a white minivan and we called and told the rangers. Not sure if it's the same people but that seems to be a bad lake for poaching. The guys last year had a buddy in a cab drive down and then he would drive away. I'm assuming that is how they were getting the fish back home. These guys had a system. I'm hoping it's not the same guys but I really don't know if the fish cops ended up busting them.
The guys we saw were both around the same age and were oriental. Driving a brown/tan toyota sienna. If you see em out there call RAP

Can't believe the amount of poachers.. does anyone know where these fish are going?!?!?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The guys we saw were both around the same age and were oriental. Driving a brown/tan toyota sienna. If you see em out there call RAP

Can't believe the amount of poachers.. does anyone know where these fish are going?!?!?
thats what i drive.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
thats what i drive.
Maybe, but are you two asian men??
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I was there yesterday, going today. only caught 1-2 pounders, but a buddy caught one about 15lbs. Fishfinder didn't show many fish like it used to there. I've got RAP on speed dial now, but hope to not see any poachers
Don't you mean North not South?....and for the record, the gate to the feild everyone is driving through and burning donuts in will likely be closed soon....I don't think its supposed to be open.

Lefty
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Don't you mean North not South?....and for the record, the gate to the feild everyone is driving through and burning donuts in will likely be closed soon....I don't think its supposed to be open.

Lefty
Hunh? no idea what you're talking about....

Unfortunately saw some poachers fishing from shore as i was waiting to load my boat. Driving a white ford f150, lawn chairs set up beside it, keeping 1lb hammerhandles and tossing them in a cooler. father/wife/daughter and auntie all in on the action (could hear the daughter call them mom dad and auntie). Maybe you're on here, but i doubt it. Just know people notice, and RAP was called and hope you stop or get caught.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 05-23-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Heading back out tomorrow morning with a fresh supply of bug juice (my wounds have healed lol), does anyone know of different spots from shore on the south side other than the trail off of the boat launch?
north end
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, oh wait...
Reason for editing... not sure if you drive a white F150!...

Last edited by bloopbloob; 05-23-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Hunh? no idea what you're talking about....
lol my bad.....I quoted the wrong post....this being cooped up all day in the rain has me going crazy apparently!

Lefty
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 PM

did u see the pelican swimming be low the spill way ? Huge,,, i got sick of fishing hammer handles.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 PM

Caught this 13.5 pounder from shore tonight. Scared the crap out of me after being used to catching 1-3 pounders all weekend. Took it with a 3" red devil spoon, as soon as the spoon hit the water it took off with it, wicked fight!

I noticed too, it had a small chunk of flesh missing down near its tail and was bleeding from its body a bit. Read some where on here about the pelicans taking stabs at them (who knows).

Must have been a dozen people fishing the spillway tonight too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coal1.jpg (98.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg coal2.jpg (131.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg coal3.jpg (75.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Caught this 13.5 pounder from shore tonight. Scared the crap out of me after being used to catching 1-3 pounders all weekend. Took it with a 3" red devil spoon, as soon as the spoon hit the water it took off with it, wicked fight!

I noticed too, it had a small chunk of flesh missing down near its tail and was bleeding from its body a bit. Read some where on here about the pelicans taking stabs at them (who knows).

its like the bigger pike got lots of stab marks ,i counted 9 gouges on one fish,the only thing i could come up with is the 200 pelicans that's swimming around.Nice pike u got there.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:

i would get a new scale fyi
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
all I had at the time, but I plan on it. Any recommendations?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
If you are referring to the pic of the scale, you may want to look closely near the top. I was thinking he was bs ing at first as well, but the inner scale is in kg's. that means the roughly 6.2 kg=16.7lbs. Not sure what the outside of the scale is in, or what it says. really blurry.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Nice one, did you get measurements on it? (length and girth) Looks like a male.

Lefty
Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
If you are referring to the pic of the scale, you may want to look closely near the top. I was thinking he was bs ing at first as well, but the inner scale is in kg's. that means the roughly 6.2 kg=16.7lbs. Not sure what the outside of the scale is in, or what it says. really blurry.
Sorry for the blurry pic, my son took the pic with my cell phone. I would have took it myself but neither one of my boys could have handled this fish. We did our best to get some nice shots and a weight in order to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible.
That being said, I'm not offended by your post, and I have no reason to bs. I'm not in competition with anyone, I take my boys out as much as they want to spend quality guy time with them when I'm home from work. The outside of the scale is in lbs., the numbers are in 5 lbs increments.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nice one, did you get measurements on it? (length and girth) Looks like a male.

Lefty
Sorry Lefty, I did not have my tape with me. Wasn't expecting to catch one that big from where we were on shore. The kids have a blast just catching the little guys.
However, tape is now in the box awaiting the next big catch!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the blurry pic, my son took the pic with my cell phone. I would have took it myself but neither one of my boys could have handled this fish. We did our best to get some nice shots and a weight in order to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible.
That being said, I'm not offended by your post, and I have no reason to bs. I'm not in competition with anyone, I take my boys out as much as they want to spend quality guy time with them when I'm home from work. The outside of the scale is in lbs., the numbers are in 5 lbs increments.
Very cool that you released the fish, showing your boys the thrill is in the catch and not necessarily the keep. Of course I am not against keeping fish for a feed once in a while!

Lefty
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Congrats on the nice pike madeincanada780. I may head out to Coal this evening and see whats biting.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner