Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Good see through scope covers?

Do they exist? Last night I fell down a steep hill in about 18" of soft wet snow. I protected the rifle pretty well but the scope lenses ended up wet, and afterwards I couldn't seem to get my scope to clear up with what cleaning supplies I had on hand (my T shirt). Just kept looking blurry and foggy no matter what I did. So I'm either going to need to find a decent way to keep moisture off the lenses while allowing me to get it into use lightning quick, or I am going to replace my Leupold vxII with another Bushnell Elite, which have never ever give me this issue no matter how wet they get.

I love the low power and generous eyebox of this scope, but its been back to Korth once already and now this disappointing experience, quickly loosing faith in its reliability.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Banned

Butler creek
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Flip up lens covers keep snow, water and dust off of the lenses, and take no extra time to remove, you flip them up as you shoulder the rifle. As to see through lens covers, I don't see the point of paying good money for quality lenses and coatings, and then looking through cheap plastic.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Flip up lens covers keep snow, water and dust off of the lenses, and take no extra time to remove, you flip them up as you shoulder the rifle. As to see through lens covers, I don't see the point of paying good money for quality lenses and coatings, and then looking through cheap plastic.
The idea would be to not look through the scope covers unless I didn't have time to flip them up. Having never used flip up scope covers I'm having trouble understanding how they could possible not take at least a little time to flip up? I shoulder my rifle pretty darn quick, and I'm usually flipping off the safety at the same time.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The idea would be to not look through the scope covers unless I didn't have time to flip them up. Having never used flip up scope covers I'm having trouble understanding how they could possible not take at least a little time to flip up? I shoulder my rifle pretty darn quick, and I'm usually flipping off the safety at the same time.
As I shoulder my rifle, my thumbs flip up the covers, so it does not take any extra time.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Default Scope shield

I have switched to this product the last 4-5 seasons. When still hunting my rifle is carried slung front ready with muzzle down on left side. With practice I can pop the scope shield off in less than a second as I shoulder the rifle. Make sure you get a tight fit so it has lots of elastic spring. It will practically fly of your scope. I used to use Butler creek but have had issues with then breaking. ( older ones from 12 years ago are still good) but all the newer ones break after one or two uses.
https://scopeshieldcover.com/
Old 11-03-2019, 01:27 PM

I changed to a neoprene scope cover found the flip ups fall off and the see through are harder to see through than a scope with water on the glass.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:27 PM

I've used the rubber band style ones since day one, Uncle Mike's? If you have them set up properly, you just flick the one end and both come off on the off side to the bolt opening. I've never had to replace them, had them for about 35yrs+. I tried flip-ups. didn't turn my crank.