Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I'd like to see the rifle season replaced with cross bows, muzzle loaders and shot guns only, therefore removing the rifle season all together.

hope you dont mean province wide?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Did you know that in regards to the Wainwright hunts 100 "landowner" tags were givenout to base/army personel? I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that but it wasn't common knowledge. IMO it should have been in the regulations/draw booklet for all to see.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see the rifle season replaced with cross bows, muzzle loaders and shot guns only, therefore removing the rifle season all together.

Extend the archery only season to include the full elk and moose rut in zones that currently allow rifles.

Have archery only season for sheep (and separate draws).

Make the deer tags in the bowzone hunters choice.

Extend the M-F tags to include weekend, even if its just for archery only.
Sounds to me that you are just looking out for your own interests. This thread is doomed to failure for this reason. Everyone looking out for their particular interest and not the entire hunting community as a whole.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple b View Post
The 437 bighorn sheep hunt is unachievable to all, except those in the top couple of pools(yet people start applying for the first time every year).They had better hope that they live to be 600 years old.you are throwing your money away by starting out now on 437. My two bits
Yes I agree 100%. I've had several good conversations regarding this issue with hunting partners. Many of these elite tags are unachievable for guys already. What will our kids do when they reach hunting ages? Sorry but this has to be managed better somehow.
One suggestion was to create a mix of tags.... some left for priority builders and a few given out as random lottery tags. That way those who've put in since day one will have there time at bat and those who could never have the opportunity as it stand today, would have a slight chance at the tag as well.
I'm not saying you need it every few years but once at least if you want it would be great.
I've been drawn for the 408 tag already and to think that my son will never be able to do that hunt someday is a real shame!!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
hope you dont mean province wide?
Province wide. Remove gun hunting all together. Sadly, it'll never happen.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Sounds to me that you are just looking out for your own interests. This thread is doomed to failure for this reason. Everyone looking out for their particular interest and not the entire hunting community as a whole.
No matter what changes are made, some people won't like them.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
I think we need to give the animals a fighting chance, ban tree cam's, ban tree stands, ban still hunting. And make it so you can only hunt from your truck!!!!
wave:
The truck must be 4x4 and diesel. In the first year we eliminate all import trucks (none) second year we will prohibit Dodges and in third year Fords.

Before the firing squad loads up, i am just messing with you guy's...IT'S JUST A JOKE...

What about making WT tags as a separate tags for antlered or antlerless. Let say one could be able to buy one antlered/antlerless (trophy hunters with possibility to get meet) or two antlerless tags (meet hunters). That would make some control of the population of WT and allow trophy bucks to grow. Individual hunters would make a choice what to hunt in a given year.

Last edited by Iskra; 12-08-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Well for me;

I'd like to see the season extended into december like until the 20th.

Like Saskatchewan get two whitetail buck tags when you purchase your tag.

Also, stop giving out too many tags for certain species in a zone where it's already tough to just find one, thus knowing that there's a lot more other hunters have that same tag.

I'd like to see a muzzleloader season too, like;

September - bow season
October - muzzleloader
November - rifle

That's what i'd like to see.

RATHER BE HUNTING
Old 12-09-2009, 01:38 AM

I know i will take alot of heat for this sugestion from the bow hunters and i am not against them as i too have bow hunted but I think they should also eliminate general tags for bow hunting in zones that require you to apply for a special licence in these wmu's for rifle season. Most individuals that soley rifle hunt for eg. mule deer, they on average get drawn every 4-5 years in these zones and can only hunt one wmu, where as a person bow hunting can take a mule deer every year and can hunt several wmu's in the bow season.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 AM

These apply to all equally

-be able to partner any special draw license that I get..be it with a youth, a wife or any RESIDENT of Alberrta with a WIN card.

-If I get drawn for something..and i know i cant go (work, health, in jail, I died, lost license, whatever reason etc etc)...be able to forfeit the tag to the undersubscribed pool before the undersubscribed lines are opened so that someone will get the oppurtunity. I wouldnt lose my prioirty. This is especially usefull in antelope three day hunts!

-be able to purchase a six (or 4 or 5) pack of draws for (lets say antlered muledeer) then every year i change my draw codes (via online or vendors) to the prefered zone or leave it 999 . if im drawn in three years i simply have three more years of credits towards my next draw for that species.
at $4.00 (?) for each draw now it would be multiplied by 6...big deal $24.
it would give the agencies more cash to play with. they would have better idea as to the future of the sport. even billygoat, turkey or super special sheep draws. it would be understood that if a species is removed there would be no refunds or transfering of those credits. same applies for 'once in a lifetime draws' no refunds after drawn.
simplesimple
-be able to purchase this '6pack' or any specials draws at anytime of the year, but would be automatically 999ed until the regular draw booklets are out and then change the zone/wmu/999 accordingly.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 12-09-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Gladly it will never happen and you must be able to understand why.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Gladly it will never happen and you must be able to understand why.
I do ... Story of my life living in the the minority.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
The truck must be 4x4 and diesel. In the first year we eliminate all import trucks (none) second year we will prohibit Dodges and in third year Fords.
You're forgetting something in your position. That is, who would be left to pull the Chevs/GMs out of trouble?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 AM

For all of you that think WT doe tags should be eliminated, you probably don't hunt them. Therefore i think you should have to prove your doe kills to a conservation officer before you'll be given a buck tag. That would cut down on the number of trophy hunters. I just know too many people that go out try to get the biggest buck possible and then come home and give all the meat away. If you wanna do that, pay an outfitter.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Elimination of the supplemental tags is ridiculous, maybe from 2 to 1 (I'm talking whitetails), but not eliminating entirely. I can already see what would happen. Instead of someone going out and putting meat in the freezer with a doe then holding out for a good buck, people would be shooting the first buck they see, just to say they filled their tag with a buck, not a doe. If anything I can see this decreasing trophy quality because few bucks would reach their full potential. Thats not even taking into account the out of whack buck/doe ratio that would result. I know lots of people (myself included) that will put a doe (or 2) in the freezer, then hold out for a really good buck, passing up dozens of young or mediocre bucks in the process. Often, that tag goes on the Christmas tree. Who knows, that buck I passed up this year might be a monster in a couple seasons.

Good point PD. I use my suppies the same way, to ensure I have meat for the winter. I do think we could cut them down to 1 for a few seasons to see what sort of effect it has on the population.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
Due to the over population, rapid infrustructure growth in the bowzones ( 410,212,248),and continuous growth in the archery community. There should be a serious look into the furthar expansion of these zones. Not to mention the ever growing emergence of parks, conservatories and corridor expansions,that we have endured in the past and present and will in the future.Town limits have grown, and hunting oppoturnities and land have diminished, creating stress for game,land owners, the general public and hunters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
Totally unnecessary in my opinion. The entire province is open to bow hunters for the first two months of the season so I see no reason to remove opportunity from the rifle season hunters who only get one month. And yes I am a bow hunter and have bowhunted for 20 years.
Which zone have you bow hunted for 20 years out of our 3 bowzones???
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
As I stated earlier all bowhunters have wide open access to most of the province exclusively for the first two months. I do agree that the bowzones have gotten ridiculous for quite some time now. As a result I have been doing most of my bowhunting on land that is out of the bowzone but still retain some permission within the bowzone. I find the quality of the hunt vastly superior outside the bowzone. That said I think the fact that we have the privilege to access this land prior to the opening of the rifle season is enough.
I found my own answer, saying that you have already choosen not to hunt the bowzone because of it being riddiculous, reaffirms my opinion........Thank you.......and again that's why we need the expansion, so we don't have to hunt outside the bowzones and get rifle hunters more upset.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Funny, I was thinking a similar thought... get rid of bow season altogether. Have one HUNTING season, what you use as a weapon is your choice, and doesn't earn you extra rights or privileges. You want to use a bow, or a boomerang, or a blunderbuss? Have at it... in November only.

yeah yeah, I know that will never happen either.

I'd like longer seasons but generally I'm fine with all the rules as they are.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Default 437

I would like to see the draw system changed in area's like 437 that are priority only and unattainable by most.We could change it to a priority points system, so that if you had a 14 for priority, your name goes in 14 times, if I have a priority 1 my name goes in once.this would be total lottery with no pools, everybody who applies has a chance.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico284 View Post
For all of you that think WT doe tags should be eliminated, you probably don't hunt them. Therefore i think you should have to prove your doe kills to a conservation officer before you'll be given a buck tag. That would cut down on the number of trophy hunters. I just know too many people that go out try to get the biggest buck possible and then come home and give all the meat away. If you wanna do that, pay an outfitter.
Maybe it's just me... but, as a trophy hunter, I eat more tag soup than anybody. Not sure how many trophy hunters are bringing home that trophy every year but I can guarantee it ain't me. Three years now and I haven't pulled the trigger on a deer. Oh I could have shot a hundred 140 class bucks but I chose not to. Sorry Chico, but I think your theory is way out in left field.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Here's what I just don't understand:

If the supplemental tags are that big of a deal, why did they dramatically expand the zones for tag #2 this year? They must have had some reasoning to do so. It even seeems to me that they've based some of it on population studies, because they took 328 out of the supp zones.

The single most important change to hunting and fishing in Alberta is increased funding for research and enforcement. When you look at the areas that two COs have to cover it's just silly.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Al View Post
Did you know that in regards to the Wainwright hunts 100 "landowner" tags were givenout to base/army personel? I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that but it wasn't common knowledge. IMO it should have been in the regulations/draw booklet for all to see.
This is the way I heard it.

Each year there were about 20 no shows per season. That is permits that were drawn and the hunters did not go to Wainwright for one reason or another.

So the Military said, "Hey, if there are ~20 opportunities "going to waste" in each season, why not let us have those "opportunities" and we will have our own draw among military personnel and let them have a hunt?"

Now there has often been a "fear" from some hunters that the military may cancel the Wainwright hunt some time. If they get used to having this hunting opportunity for their own, then perhaps that will guarantee the continuation of the hunt.

Sorry this is really off topic but I figured it needed an explanation.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

Each year there were about 20 no shows per season. That is permits that were drawn and the hunters did not go to Wainwright for one reason or another.

So the Military said, "Hey, if there are ~20 opportunities "going to waste" in each season, why not let us have those "opportunities" and we will have our own draw among military personnel and let them have a hunt?"

Now there has often been a "fear" from some hunters that the military may cancel the Wainwright hunt some time. If they get used to having this hunting opportunity for their own, then perhaps that will guarantee the continuation of the hunt.

So, why doesn't the gov't give out 20 more permits to make up for the "wasted" ones.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

You've got it all wrong. They aren't hunting them, they are using them for training. I believe a local tailor got an order for middle eastern garb to fit "an individual of, ohhh, 600 or 700 lbs, with four legs. Yeah, that's the ticket".
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiemoosehunter View Post
I would like to see some restrictions placed on "certain people with certain status's" that allow them not to have to draw for tags or even buy a licence.
If you weren't so close minded, you would realise that there are rules and guidelines that those "certain people" have to follow.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
When you look at the areas that two COs have to cover it's just silly.
2 CO's? We only have one out here.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
So, why doesn't the gov't give out 20 more permits to make up for the "wasted" ones.
I reckon if we had asked for that first we may have got it. But the military came up with their request first.

I read about a "controlled hunt" on a tree plantation in the states once (similar draw and morning meeting like at Wainwright) If there were no shows there would be a few guys hanging around that would put their names in a hat and draw for the no shows permits for that day. Then they had to shoot one doe and bring it in before they qualified for a buck tag (they really wanted to reduce the deer population on this property)

In the story a fellow was lucky two days in a row for the no show draw. The first day he shot the required doe and the second day he killed a huge buck.

I always wished that Wainwright would have had a similar no show permit draw each morning. But like I said the military asked first.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM
sheephunter

I like the fact that the military guys get a few tags. They are moved around the country so much that they often can't get enough priority to draw tags in Alberta so why not give them a chance? Remember, it is a federal base...not provincial. They don't have to allow us to hunt there and we aren't permitted to on other bases in the country. I think it's the least we can do for the brave men and women that protect this country.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I like the fact that the military guys get a few tags. They are moved around the country so much that they often can't get enough priority to draw tags in Alberta so why not give them a chance? Remember, it is a federal base...not provincial. They don't have to allow us to hunt there and we aren't permitted to on other bases in the country. I think it's the least we can do for the brave men and women that protect this country.
Well said TJ ...........
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
X3